Travel Insurance

Gwendolyn

Well this is not strictly 'Motorhome Matters’, but I don't know where else to post this query.

Can anyone recommend a good travel policy, after cancer for one of us, and post operation (not cancer) for the other? We have had a quotation from CC Red Pennant: £620 for an annual personal and motoring policy, to include travel without the van (we will be flying off on short breaks). BUT>>> our 'conditions' are excluded.

The C&CC have quoted £100 less. But our ‘conditions’ are covered, and the travelling days permitted per trip, per policy year, are more generous.

Does that sound OK?

Would we be we better looking for separate personal and motoring breakdown cover???

Any advice based on your experience will be very helpful to us.

Thank you.

Gwen

Hi Gwen

I would suggest you have a look at a company called " Insurancewith.com " .

The company was started by a lady who had suffered with cancer - and afterwards could not find any insurance company that understood her condition.

( I understand that she previously worked in the insurance industry for some other company ).

It seems most insurance companies think that all cancer is the same - so quote extortionate prices regardless of your actual condition.

I have not used them myself ( yet ) and I have no personal experience of the company but they do seem to get good reviews -

( although of course maybe one shouldn't take any reviews on the internet too seriously ! )

Good luck -

:-)

We use the more expensive Visa credit cards not because we like wasting money but they do offer free travel insurance. Basically if you spend more than A$250 (around £120) per trip charged to your credit card you are covered. MasterCard have a similar deal and you would need to read the conditions to see if it suits your particular needs. I would be surprised if  a similar offer is not available in UK. Travel insurance is very expensive when your hair goes grey or missing! We found the extra fee for the CC is a much cheaper option than a separate travel insurance policy. cheers,

Travel insurance is available that is UK ‘bank account’ based (example here)

https://www.nationwide.co.uk/support/support-articles/manage-your-account/travel-insurance/travel-insurance-with-flexplus

but as will be evident from the “What’s not included” section, the terms and conditions do include caveats regarding pre-existing medical conditions, age, trrip-duration, etc.

I note that the NFOP scheme mentioned above by rupert123 now has revised eligibilty criteria

https://www.nfop.org.uk/news/1383/

Derek Uzzell - 2019-04-27 9:21 AM

Travel insurance is available that is UK ‘bank account’ based (example here)

https://www.nationwide.co.uk/support/support-articles/manage-your-account/travel-insurance/travel-insurance-with-flexplus

but as will be evident from the “What’s not included” section, the terms and conditions do include caveats regarding pre-existing medical conditions, age, trrip-duration, etc.

I note that the NFOP scheme mentioned above by rupert123 now has revised eligibilty criteria

https://www.nfop.org.uk/news/1383/

I did not know this but still feel for the price and lack of hassle is worth thinking about.

Thank you all for your help.

Alas though, after using the link provided by Derek Uzzell, it’s clear that we will not qualify for the free insurance: “To qualify to join the NFOP Travel Insurance Scheme from the 1st March 2019, you must have held NFOP membership for twelve consecutive months…”

As we have a Nationwide account, I did enquire some weeks ago. There was one very good reason why I didn’t proceed but I’m afraid I forget what that was now!

We may perhaps be over complicating things as we want to go back to the USA this year. And insurance for the States was never cheap, even before our current health matters.

I will though have a look at the other suggestions and see what transpires. Thank you. Much appreciated.

Archived