Truma 6E v Webasto 4kw

andy mccord

Hi All

I’m after opinions on what my expectations should be when moving from a Truma 6E to a webasto4KW diesel heater, in particular the output when using gas on the truma, will the webasto be similar in output or somewhere in between the electric and gas on the truma?

Regards

Andy

A Truma Combi 6E has the capability to produce a maximum heat-output of 6kW on gas-alone, 5.8kW (4kW + 1.8kW) in ‘mixed’ gas + 230V mode, or 1.8kW on 230V-alone.

You haven’t speecifically identified the model/type of Webasto heater, but the current “Air Top” air-only appliance with a near-4kW output would be the “Evo 3900” (see Technical details on this link)

https://www.webasto.com/gb/markets-products/motorhomes/heating-solutions/space-air-heaters/air-top/

This has a heat-output of 1.5kW - 3.5kW, with 3.9kW in ‘boost mode’.

For motorhomes, the Evo 3900 would be suitable for small coachbuilt models and panel-van conversions: for larger motorhomes the Evo 5500 would be more appropriate.

I’m not sure it’s realistic to try to compare Truma Combi and Webasto Air Top heaters as their design principles/objectives are different. For example, Combis have four hot-air outlets and combine air and water heating, whereas Air Tops have a single air outlet and just heat air.

Truma markets the Combi D 6E that equates to the Combi 6E but uses a diesel-fuelled burner instead of a gas-fuelled one. The nearest curent Truma product to the Air Top Evo 3900 is the “VarioHeat”, but (dare I say it?) both are aimed more at ‘commercial’ applications (lorry cabs, horseboxes, etc.) than large motorhomes.

Hi

I had a 2KW Webasto AirTop blown-air only heater in my old PVC. It was able to keep the inside of the van at 20deg when it was -15deg out without issues.

Downside of the Webasto was the noise vs the Truma Combi6 in my new van, and also its power consumption. Average consumption on 12V was close to double for the Webasto.

On the other hand, the combi 6 will go through an 11KG gas cyclinder (22litres) in 6 days when its -ve temps outside (heating+water), while I would never even have noticed the vehicle fuel guage move on the webasto. I have a GasIt system 44Litres in total so don't really find this an issue - if I were paying for Calor gas refills it could get expensive though!

If you wildcamp, the the 12V usage might be an issue. If you are using calor then the cost might be an issue, or have one of these vehicles with an underslung 25L tank (20L gas capacity), then the capacity might be an issue. All depends where, when and how often you use your van!

Nigel

Hi Derek

Not sure what webasto it is but the van im interested in is the Benimar Tessoro 486, my Truma in our adria was useless on electric due to the fact it was at the other end of the van from the living area so I just wondered what the webasto would put in comparison

Andy

An advert for a 2017 Benimar Tessoro T486 is here

http://www.practicalmotorhome.com/forsale/41101-benimar-2017

This suggests that a T486 has a Webasto 4kW diesel-fuelled air-heater and a gas-only water-boiler, which tallies with the technical data in Benimar’s 2017 brochure.

As I said earlier I’m guessing that the Webasto heater is an Air Top Evo 3900 model. The gas-only water-boiler might well be a Truma product, but Webasto and Whale have cooperated in the last few years and produced a ‘hybrid’ arrangement as described here, so who knows?

https://www.webasto.com/int/markets-products/recreational-vehicles/heating-solutions/hybrid-solutions/

A UK Benimar dealer should be able to confirm exactly which appliances are fitted to a 486 (if you are lucky!)

The 230V capability of a Truma Combi “E” is primarily there to heat water when the motohome is on a campsite hook-up. The 1.8kW maximum output should be able to provide reasonable ‘background’ air-heating if the motorhome is not too large and the Combi’s installation has been optimised. But if the Combi has been unsympathetically installed (and many are) heat-loss through excessively long air trunks will result in little hot air emerging from air-outlets. A Combi “E” has a mixed-mode feature that (sort of) addresses the 230V air-heating limitations.

Having said that, if the advert in the 1st link above is correct (and I’ve no reason to think otherwise) a Tessoro 486’s system excludes the use of 230V for heating air or water.

Derek,

many thanks, you have highlighted a flaw in the truma I hadnt spotted, we use our shower in the van everyday so having a gas only heated boiler is not going to be ideal, theres only 1 van in the Tessaro range that has a combi which is the 463, so it now looks like a non starter, cant be bothered changing bottles at the best of times.

Regards

Andy

You might want to check with Benimar about the ‘gas-only’ water boiler, just in case a 230V capability is included in the UK-specification.

Chausson fits diesel-fuelled air-heaters and gas-fuelled water-boilers, but the latter (for the UK at least) apparently have a 230V capabilty too. The air-heaters’ output also varies, with the larger models having higher-output appliances.

Archived