Using a Trauma heater on gas only

Mandie

Hi all,

This may seem a very naïve question but I recently got a Hymer Van 522 with Trauma C6002EH heater/boiler and the manual states you can run the heater on gas only, which as I will doing some wild camping is useful.

But if you're on gas only what operate the fan, is it the leisure battery, and if so how quickly does this run down the leisure battery?

The air circulation fan is 12v, so is running off the battery regardless of electric or gas operation (though obviously, when you are on hook-up the battery should be getting replenished).

Wired conventionally, the battery used for blown air will be the leisure battery.

The current consumption will vary depending on the level of heating requested, as this affects the fan speed, and the duration thereof.

The C6002EH manual quotes the 12v consumption as being between 0.2A-5.9A in heating mode (the latter maximum should be of only short duration), and 0.4A in water heating mode. It isn't very forthcoming over average consumption, but the later "Combi 6E" devices, of similar range of consumption, quote an average consumption of 1.3A, which might provide a starting point for estimation. Patently, the colder and longer the heater is run, the more consumption there will be.

Thanks for the replies those, they answer my question.

I should have also asked when running on electric only (230v power supply) how quickly does the heater heat up. I tried this the other day just as a test and it air blowing through didn't seem to heat up.

With a maximum output of 1.8kW heating on electric is not particularly intense, but left for some time output should be noticeable. (In really cold conditions it is best to heat the 'van up with gas (or combined) and revert to electricity only to keep things ticking over once warm).

It isn't uncommon for the electric heating elements to give up the ghost after extended use. If you want to check whether they are working, you might try water heating on electric only, as after an hour or so you should have noticeably warm water if the elements are working.

The output on electric is poor at best, normally in colder weather you select gas and electric together. The heater will use both to get up to the selected temp then try to use electric only to maintain the desired temp. Then bringing on the gas to increase the if the electric cant.

Mandie - 2022-01-13 5:41 PM

Thanks for the replies those, they answer my question.

I should have also asked when running on electric only (230v power supply) how quickly does the heater heat up. I tried this the other day just as a test and it air blowing through didn't seem to heat up.

Mine doesn't heat the van on electric only the water

Truma's Trumatic C 'combination' air/water heaters were first marketed in 1994 and the production run finished in 2007 when the significantly different "Combi" range began to be manufactured.

I can't remember when the Trumatic C6002EH appliance was first produced, but my 2004-built Hobby motorhome had one. It's easily recognised as it has two bulky 'boxes' on its outer cover (image attached below) rather than the single 'box' of other Trumatic C heaters. There will also be two rotary control panels (rather than one) and one of those panels will carry the "EH" identifier.

The C6002EH was Truma's most powerful air/water heater as its maximum gas output (6000W) and maximum 230V output (1800W) could be produced simultaneously (ie. 6000W + 1800W = 7800W) whereas the maximum output of the later "Combi (E)" heaters is restricted to the appliance's maximum output on gas (eg. a Combi 6E's maximum output is 6000W on gas or on a combination of gas + 230V).

As Robinhood says, Trumatic C3402, 4002 and 6002 air/water appliances could be fitted with a 230V 450W 'collar' that wrapped around the heater's water tank. This Youtube video shows the collar being replaced

The 450W current drain meant that 230V water heating was practicable on any Continental European campsite hook-up, but the downside was that water heating was quite slow. Obviously the collar could not provide any form of air heating - this had to wait for the C6002EH.

c_eh.png.4299bf017e6b80bef05ac86c3ea9fe52.png

Robinhood - 2022-01-13 9:07 PM

witzend - 2022-01-13 9:02 PM

Mine doesn't heat the van on electric only the water

(or I'm missing something )

Very likely

Mandie said

C6002EH heater/boiler and the manual states you can run the heater on gas only, which as I will doing some wild camping is useful.

As does Mine

Archived