X2/50 Handbrake extender & Swivel clearance

colin

As promised photo's to show handbrake extender and clearance on our swivel. Note the position of sliders and the fact front 'boinger' is bottomed out, rear 'boinger' is slightly raised so seat rake knob clears Kobran

The first photo of Kobran extender shows how much it raises handbrake, and just how low the original Fiat handbrake is. As I've stated before, if you can live with standard handbrake don't buy this extender, but if you have bad back or such like its an improvement.

2nd photo shows clearance with seat locked in driving position

3rd photo is top view of swivel at tightess point.

4th photo is clearance at tightess spot from rear, a good fingers width.

5th photo shows when seat is nearly fully rotated their is just a 'fag paper' of clearance

Extender.JPG.6d853fc5a9e8d8912b549eb00168463e.JPG

1299036655_fixedclearance.JPG.70072ee9ba794edf896a52533f2fb19d.JPG

802633966_Swiveltightnessabove.JPG.2025a2b05ab4e4496bd5eb7003b235e2.JPG

341770395_Swiveltightnessrear.JPG.a980496007298bdecbc3478d7f22829d.JPG

1978281613_Swivelsecondtightspot.JPG.3c93220003eeba419601b13f34076072.JPG

• 3 months later...

As there is an enquiry about handbrake extenders and Derek has linked to this thread here's a update after couple of thousand miles running.

Not included in the first post was the fact that this extender is a bitch to fit, it was designed for last model and x250 has larger handgrip, this causes two problems.

First is the dificultly sliding it over the handbrake, at one stage I had to apply a large blunt instrument. Next is fitting the screws, whilst longer ones are supplied because the flanges are splayed the screws don't align to engage thread, in this case I had to 'squeeze' flanges with molegrips to get the screws started. It may be that in warm weather or maybe plunging it in hot water will help.

I can say that the operation of handbrake is now much easier, a bit odd pushing lever forward with thumb but you soon get used to it.

The seat can rotated with handbrake pulled on, well ours can, but it's not 100% perfect. Dependant on seat adjustment the handle can catch seat rake knob and also there is some scuffing of the seat plastic trim.

There have been no incidences of extender catching on clothing when exiting cab whilst wearing jeans or shorts.

Overall I'm happier with the extender fitted than not as the pro's outnumber the con's when my backs playing up, but I'm still considering making a properly engineered one.

Guest JudgeMental
Probably the only thing I dislike about the X250 is the handbrake..have you a link? Or should I wait for mark 2 X250 version? :-D

The X250 seats, as in the previous models, give me a different issue in that they are too high to see properly out of the windscreen without crouching a little which soon becomes tiring and achey - and I'm not even a tall bloke.

The answer for us is lower seat boxes or remove the swivel base, either of which also has the benefits of bringing the handbrake closer to the end of my arm and making the driving position much more comfortable and car like.

If you don't want to fit new seat boxes, which are not that expensive and simple enough to fit, try removing the swivel and see if the improved driving position is worth the loss of a swivelling seat?

The handbrake is held in place by three bolts and it ought not to be beyond the wit of man to fabricate a spacer plate to raise the level of the handbrake and maybe even push it away from the seat a little to facilitate swivelling - it's only a bit of steel plate with 6 holes and three new nuts and bolts to secure it after all?

These were the ones we used but I don't know if they will fit an X250?

http://www.marcleleisure.co.uk/store/lower-seat-fiatpeugeotcitroen-swivel-included-p-1417.html

So much for 'camper' chassis with motorhomes in mind - the 'designer' must have 'forgotten' to allow for the additional height of swivel bases which white van man does not need.

Never mind when the Sevel factory has a bit more experience in building base vehicles for motorhome conversion perhaps they will get all these design 'features' right - but don't hold your breath!

JudgeMental - 2012-07-30 7:42 PM

Probably the only thing I dislike about the X250 is the handbrake..have you a link? Or should I wait for mark 2 X250 version? :-D

Depends how long you can put up with it, IF I go ahead and design one it will take some time till it's in production, and due to curcumstances I can't garentee I will make one. Personaly I couldn't wait any longer, was due away on a trip and had a backbrace on, not good. I purchased from 'the darkside' ;-)

Tracker - 2012-07-30 7:50 PM

If you don't want to fit new seat boxes, which are not that expensive and simple enough to fit, try removing the swivel and see if the improved driving position is worth the loss of a swivelling seat?

The handbrake is held in place by three bolts and it ought not to be beyond the wit of man to fabricate a spacer plate to raise the level of the handbrake and maybe even push it away from the seat a little to facilitate swivelling - it's only a bit of steel plate with 6 holes and three new nuts and bolts to secure it after all?

So much for 'camper' chassis with motorhomes in mind - the 'designer' must have 'forgotten' to allow for the additional height of swivel bases which white van man does not need.

Having driven several WVM versions of the sevel, I don't find them much better, the swivel fitted to ours is very compact, not sure that all are same however as a Wildax I hired a few years back was worse.

I did look at altering the handbrake bracket, can't remember why but for some reason it was not as straightforward as it might seem.

The lower seatbox might work for some, but in our case there's a battery with little clearance under drivers seat which would need relocating, although that would proboly fit under dinette seat which is never full.

Swivel bases are generally about just oven an inch thick these days which is a lot better than they used to be!

Nevertheless even an inch lower on the seat makes it a lot more comfortable for me but I guess it all depends on your build and preferences!

It costs nowt but time to remove the swivel as the bolts are all in the same places and it gives you an idea as to what may be needed to get it right for you.

Guest JudgeMental
colin - 2012-07-30 7:52 PM

JudgeMental - 2012-07-30 7:42 PM

Depends how long you can put up with it, IF I go ahead and design one it will take some time till it's in production, and due to curcumstances I can't garentee I will make one. Personaly I couldn't wait any longer, was due away on a trip and had a backbrace on, not good. I purchased from 'the darkside' ;-)

Yeah I found seller and watched video..Odd that they have not revised and offer a Mark 2 as X250 been out five years now...

I have used this since 2007 and can certainly recommend it. I needed longer screws to fit it and have ripped my shorts on it once just after it was put on.... My wife couldn't even reach the handbrake from the high seat position before I fitted this. Brilliant bit of kit.

Swivelling the seats in our Bolero is important to us as it allows feet up lounging utilising the side settees. Why anyone would want to forgoe 'the best seats in the house' seems strange.

Some manufacturers dont allow enough roo to completely swivel the seat thus removing fully relaxed (horizontal) lounging - step forward Autotrail and, to a lesser degree Rapido.

Yes, the handbrake fouls but sliding the base back or forth a 'smidge' creates room for a full turn.

Regarding the use of the handbrake whilst driving? Yes, it's a stretch but how many of us actually bother except when on a severe slope? Even then, nimble footwork almost makes it redundant.

I fitted a rare-spares extender to our previous van..and it was certainly a well made piece of kit.

One thing I would say though,is that on our van,when the handbrake was on,the handle protruded above the seat height,which meant that it could(and did)sometimes,quite dangerously,snag in clothing when exiting the cab...

Tracker - 2012-07-30 7:50 PM

The X250 seats, as in the previous models, give me a different issue in that they are too high to see properly out of the windscreen without crouching a little which soon becomes tiring and achey - and I'm not even a tall bloke.

The answer for us is lower seat boxes or remove the swivel base,!

I had an issue with our 08 Ducato, which is fitted with swivels (don't know make) which I thought raised the driving seat too much for me and I'm only 5'8", what my upper body dimension is I'm not sure. I considered changing the base of the drivers seat but then discovered the two adjusters on the RHS of the seat base; and they made all the difference!

I can now see perfectly out of the windscreen, and the speedo' is perfectly visible. My leg position is better, and I feel less as though I'm perched on the edge of the seat. Cost nothing, came with the van.

I do however have a problem with the swivel on driver's side, as I can't turn it more than about 100degrees, whereas I'd like to be able to turn it approx 135degrees to use a centre post table for two; suggestions welcomed

cheers

alan b

The adjusters you mention are they the two buttons that raise and lower the front or back of the seat squab or is there some other adjustment. I am only 5 4" and really struggle to get a comfortable position in our 2012 Ducato and would love to lower the seat but maintain the swivel. PS Love my hand brake extender..

snowie - 2012-07-31 11:33 PM

I considered changing the base of the drivers seat but then discovered the two adjusters on the RHS of the seat base; and they made all the difference!

Otherwise known as boingers

I do however have a problem with the swivel on driver's side, as I can't turn it more than about 100degrees, whereas I'd like to be able to turn it approx 135degrees to use a centre post table for two; suggestions welcomed

cheers

alan b

I'm sure there may be plenty of sugestions if only we knew what stops the seat turning *-)

Mine turns 180deg

crbtaylor - 2012-08-01 7:03 PM

The adjusters you mention are they the two buttons that raise and lower the front or back of the seat squab or is there some other adjustment. I am only 5 4" and really struggle to get a comfortable position in our 2012 Ducato and would love to lower the seat but maintain the swivel. PS Love my hand brake extender..

That's the ones; made a massive difference for me, sunvisor now just right, and steering wheel doesn't obstruct speedo, worth trying,

alan b

crbtaylor - 2012-08-01 7:03 PM

That's the ones; made a massive difference for me, sunvisor now just right, and steering wheel doesn't obstruct speedo, worth trying,

alan b

colin - 2012-08-01 7:40 PM

snowie - 2012-07-31 11:33 PM

I considered changing the base of the drivers seat but then discovered the two adjusters on the RHS of the seat base; and they made all the difference!

Otherwise known as boingers

cheers

alan b

I'm sure there may be plenty of sugestions if only we knew what stops the seat turning *-)

Mine turns 180deg

Hi Colin;

it's the steering wheel that obstructs, I can barely turn more than right angles.

This suggests that the whole base is too far forward, or that the swivel is mounted too far forward. As far as I can tell there aren't any extra holes.

I'll see if I can take some photo's

cheers

alan b

First thoughts are, slide steering wheel right in, then slide seat forward, seat should then rotate 180deg

p.s. you might also need to get seat back more upright if you have it heavily raked.

p.p.s. I wonder if the axis of swivel is offset front to rear? if this is the case can they be fitted 180deg out? if so maybe it swivel in wrong place, if that makes sence.

snowie - 2012-08-01 10:26 PM

cheers

alan b

Hi Colin;

it's the steering wheel that obstructs, I can barely turn more than right angles.

This suggests that the whole base is too far forward, or that the swivel is mounted too far forward. As far as I can tell there aren't any extra holes.

cheers

alan b

Hi Alan (Snowie)

What Motorhome do you have ?

We are now on 3rd van (all different makes) & all swivelled full 180 deg.

Never had a problem due to the Steering Wheel intruding.

flicka - 2012-08-01 10:56 PM

snowie - 2012-08-01 10:26 PM

cheers

alan b

Hi Colin;

cheers

alan b

Hi Alan (Snowie)

What Motorhome do you have ?

We are now on 3rd van (all different makes) & all swivelled full 180 deg.

Never had a problem due to the Steering Wheel intruding.

Hi Flicka;

we have a Ducato PVC, converted to our own design.

I've just been out to the van and with perseverence I've managed to turn the drivers seat fully thro' 360 degrees! It's necessary to rake the seat all the way forward, and then rake it back once you've got past the steering wheel, and the seat position is pushed so far forward that the table position encroaches on the "galley" It's not a very convenient arrangement.

It's all a massive series of compromises isn't it?!

I'm currently looking at making an assymmetrical table, so that we don't face each other across the table, but have space for our plate and room for our knees without obstructing each other.

The table has been a work in progress from day one, and it's not an issue when we can eat outdoors, or on our knees, but often it's nice to sit so that we can both see out of the windscreen, which does get a bit "cosy"

thanks for the suggestion,

regards

alan b

Archived