X250 Spare wheel carrier - a breakthrough?

euroserv

Hello Campers,

Regular readers will recall a lengthly discussion earlier this year (which for the life of me I can't find) regarding insecure spare wheels, the dangers of spare wheels falling off and the lack of any action from the manufacturer.

Our own experience was that we have replaced 3 carriers due to not being able to lower or raise the spare wheel, and that of 10 vans that have recently been returned after a 4 year hire; only 5 have spare wheels installed and the carrier cables could only be described as mutilated!

There was much concern among forum members and at the time we were unaware of any action by Fiat other than the availability of a modified carrier kit earlier this year.

Today I have had a very pleasant surprise.

While one of our 2007 vans was at the main dealer for some bodywork and minor mechanical repairs we were informed that it was having a new spare wheel carrier fitted "as a re-call!"

This is not exactly true because no re-call documents have been received for this van or any of our others so it must be being carried out as a 'workshop action notification'.

What this means is that only if the vehicle goes to the dealer will any outstanding action notices be carried out., and while I am not particularly happy that this safety issue is not the subject of a full re-call, it is certainly progress.

So; the bottom line; (and please read this carefully because I really don't have time to answer lots of questions about this and I don't think Fiat will be very pleased with me announcing this!)........

Our vehicle is a 2007 Ducato Maxi panel van. It had the factory spare wheel and carrier from new and even though this vehicle is 4 years old and has covered 200,000 miles the dealer has been instructed to fit a new spare wheel carrier at no cost to the customer. I have been asked by the dealer to supply a list of other vehicles that I suspect could be included in the 're-call' and have sent this list of 2007,2008 and 2009 vehicles to him and await his reply.

In order to establish whether your vehicle is included in this campaign you should contact the workshop supervisor at your local Fiat Professional service agent and enquire about any outstanding re-calls or Action Notices that apply to your registration number. They will be happy to help because they do, after all get paid by Fiat to do these jobs.

I very much doubt whether any vehicles not originally registered by Fiat UK will be included in this.

I do not know if carriers fitted to anything other than panel vans are included. You should ask your dealer.

Please help your fellow campers by keeping this thread on page 1 for a week or two so that as many people see it as possible; and spread the word.

Now I will retire to a safe distance and await the wraith of Fiat!

Nick

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello,

Update to the above;

All of my 2007 vans have been authorised for replacement carriers but none of the 08 or 09's. I can only guess that this is being done in stages because the carrier design did not change from 2007 to 2009 and all must be affected in the same way. I will update you as this campaign progresses but if your vehice is a 2007; don't delay.

Nick

Hi All, Yesterday I was chatting to a friend about his next getaway, and he said he couldnt go at the moment as he had a recall from Peugeot (van is autocruise 3 1/2 year old) which related to "something to do with the spare wheel carrier"

His van goes in tomorrow to deal with it. Does this imply that the recall is to be rolled out across them as well ???

Mine goes in for first MOT in the next couple of weeks so I will ask the relevant question.

tonyg3nwl

We had a recall from VOSA a few weeks ago. It was for our Peugeot Autocruise, took it in the local dealers and they told us they had already had one motorhome that had lost the spare and thought it had been stolen.

Whilst it was in I asked them to check the reverse gear. I thought everything would be ok as I had not had a problem reversing. They have now decided I have to take it in again for a repair (not sure what yet). Anyone interested our Peugeot is a 3ltr.

Sooty

Hello All,

It would appear from the above posts and from the link provided by AliB that Peugeot have issued a 'proper' re-call through VOSA for a safety concern with the spare wheel carrier. Fiat has not.

In order to get your Fiat vehicle sorted you will have to contact your dealer. As far as I am aware any X250 vehicle from 2006 to 2009 may be affected but only vehicles registered before December 2007 are included in the dealer service action campaign (at present).

Nick

euroserv - 2011-09-08 11:35 AM

Hello All,

It would appear from the above posts and from the link provided by AliB that Peugeot have issued a 'proper' re-call through VOSA for a safety concern with the spare wheel carrier. Fiat has not.

Nick

This sounds very similar to when the reverse gear malaky started..as back then Peugeot seemed to acknowledge there was an "issue" long before Fiat.(..think they just stuck their fingers in their and went blah blah blah,to start with... *-) )

Seems strange that VOSA haven't picked up on fact that the Fiat is "the same" vehicle...?!..

..unless of cause,Fiats' carriers differ from those fitted to the Peugeot(..can't see why they would though?...

Indeed Peugeot have issued a Vosa recall.

If you go to vosa.gov.uk and put Peugeot and boxer into the search thingy it will give you a recall listing for the spare wheel carrier. If you follow the recall number link it says they are going to recall all affected vehicles and replace the spare wheel winch.

Great news and one less thing to worry about!

pepe63 - 2011-09-08 3:46 PM

euroserv - 2011-09-08 11:35 AM

Hello All,

Nick

This sounds very similar to when the reverse gear malaky started..as back then Peugeot seemed to acknowledge there was an "issue" long before Fiat.(..think they just stuck their fingers in their and went blah blah blah,to start with... *-) )

Seems strange that VOSA haven't picked up on fact that the Fiat is "the same" vehicle...?!..

..unless of cause,Fiats' carriers differ from those fitted to the Peugeot(..can't see why they would though?...

To be fair; Citroen use the same carrier on the Relay and they have not issued a recall either. Perhaps they are doing the same as Fiat and handling it 'as and when' at the dealer?

Nick

Nick's advice is sound. I contacted my Fiat dealer today regarding my 2007 Adria Twin and the recall came straight up. They have to order in the parts, which should be here in a couple of days. All said, it does seem something of a low key recall, but there was no requirement for other work, say a service, to be done at the same time.

Shaun

Hello,

My first 2 are replaced. Both still had spare wheels in place so no arguments there but the one I dropped off at the dealer today has no spare wheel and the cable is clearly broken. Let's see what they make of that? If they don't supply a new wheel and tyre I will remind Fiat Customer Services that they are lucky not to have faced a court case when the wheel fell off!

Should be interesting.....

Nick

A number of Tribby forum members have had this mod done. one member as posted a picture of the new mechanism fitted http://www.tribby.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=1586 We have a section on the forum for recalls and any known recalls are added for other Tribute owners to check if they need to have the work done.May MMM can add a recall section to this forum

euroserv - 2011-09-14 5:17 PM

Hello,

My first 2 are replaced. Both still had spare wheels in place so no arguments there but the one I dropped off at the dealer today has no spare wheel and the cable is clearly broken. Let's see what they make of that? If they don't supply a new wheel and tyre I will remind Fiat Customer Services that they are lucky not to have faced a court case when the wheel fell off!

Should be interesting.....

Nick

Hi Nick, not sure if it would help with any discussions but below is my case number where I complained to Fiat that I thought there was a safety issue, so they can never say they were not informed. I still hold the letter on file should anyone ever need a copy.

The letter from Fiat states

"1. "I would advise that the checking of your vehicle's wheel carrier cable is not part of a service"

2. "I would stress that your vehicle has been type approved and homologated for the UK market by the ministry of Transport and, as such, had they believed this issue constituted a safety issue, the certificate would never have given"

Should anyone need to refer to either of these quotes in the future then the Fiat case reference is 3201038"

I've just had the new carrier fitted to my Adria Twin.

On the invoice it states: Carried out 5564 - Spare wheel safety recall.

I asked the dealer why I'd had to take the initiative to have the work done, given that this was a safety recall. I was told that for the serious recalls I would have been contacted, but this one didn't appear to such a priority on Fiat's part.

Ah well it's done now.

Shaun

And today, five days after having had the new carrier fitted, I've had throught the post an official recall notice from Fiat. This is the first part of the letter; I haven't included the next bit about locating a Fiat dealer, nor the part that says this safety recall accords with VOSA's voluntary code of practice:

VEHICLE SAFETY RECALL NOTIFICATION

FIAT DUCATO - ALL MODELS

SPARE WHEEL LIFTING AND SUPPORT

Dear Customer,

On a number of Fiat Ducato vehicles there is a possibility the spare wheel may not be correctly supported. This may allow the spare wheel to become detached.

As this defect could affect vehicle safety, you are requested to make the earliest possible appointment with your chosen Fiat Professional Dealer to check your vehicle and carry out any necessary rectification. This work will be carried out without charge.

Note that the letter is not stating that the newly designed carrier will be fitted as a matter of course, but rather that it will be subject to an inspection. Does this mean that vans with the original carrier perhaps won't get a replacement if that carrier is functioning as it should?

Shaun

Archived