X250 Spare wheel carrier - a breakthrough?

euroserv

The above post is interesting. One of my Tribby colleagues emailed me today and She had been in contact with Fiat about the recall and she was told there was no such recall. Mine gets done tomorrow on the recall.Looks like Fiat call centre do not Know Thier elbow from thier Arse

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ham - 2011-09-27 7:08 PM

The above post is interesting. One of my Tribby colleagues emailed me today and She had been in contact with Fiat about the recall and she was told there was no such recall. Mine gets done tomorrow on the recall.Looks like Fiat call centre do not Know Thier elbow from thier Arse

and dealers, mine had to be changed under an external extended warranty as Fiat refused to do so when it failed in the third year. At the time a very unhelpful Fiat service centre in Shrewsbury stated that according to their computer my van did not have one fitted and that it must have been fitted by the converter. May be true or not if it is true then it may account for some vehicles not being included but I suspect he had spent too much time with the used car sales team.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello folks,

A little update for you....

We still have not had any recall notices in the post. I wonder if only camper conversions are getting those?

Anyway; of the 10 on the list that needed new carriers 5 have been done. 3 had no spare wheels and the cable was broken where it comes out of the mechanism. The dealer asked Fiat to comment and we were told that the recall was only for the carrier.

I called Fiat customer services and within a few days all 3 have been authorised for new wheels, tyres and not forgetting the metal valves!

A perfectly reasonable request; dealt with fairly!

What is the world coming to?

Nick

mirage - 2011-10-06 8:59 PM

I have rung both dealer and Peugeot and both say there is no recall for my own van an Autosleeper Warwick so will watch and wait for a while.

You need to look on the VOSA website which gives the range of the VIN's affected. If you're not in the range then no fix is needed.

Mine is in the range but I've not heard from Peugot yet.

Yes, had the recall letter from FIAT and took the van to my nearest FIAT maindealer. They took it in the workshops, had a look and said it needs modification. I have to take it back next week as they have to "Order Parts". There were four other motorhomes there for the same reason at that time.

Mine is a 2008 and I noticed one of the others was a 2010.

At least this is an improvement on their Judder policy as despite 2 reports from the dealership and one from an appointed agent they say "There is no problem with my model" van.

I was alerted to the recall thanks to this thread, duly googled it went on the website, typed in registration number and chassis number and it came back as being recalled.

I rung the number, where it was confirmed that our van, we bought 5 days ago, was recalled, got a recall number and an address where to take it and booked it in today. It's apparently a job of 20 Min.

It's a bit annoying that the Motorhome Garage who sold us the Van has not dealt with it, although it has been pretty easy to arrange it. >:-(

Just had a telephone call to tell me that my spare wheel carrier will be replaced next month when my Fiat X/250 PVC goes in for its 3rd year service so it would appear that Fiat are slowly working through the list. The service manager referred to the replacement as a “recall”.

Guest Peter James
Geoff Tuckley - 2011-10-07 12:58 PM

At least this is an improvement on their Judder policy as despite 2 reports from the dealership and one from an appointed agent they say "There is no problem with my model" van.

To be fair, the judder is not a safety risk like spare wheels falling off is it?

And there is no problem with my van (April 2008 X2/50 maxi van)

Seriously, what would you do in their position - recall the lot for a free new clutch and gearbox whether they need it or not?

Although not the same tyre carrier on my Frankia but I wondered if anybody else has had the problem I get with the spare tyre cradle on an Alko chassis ?

The tyre cradle is very low under the rear of the van and the first incident was a really bumpy French level crossing which bounced the tyre cradle out of its adjustable bracket and deposited the tyre in front of a bemused French motorist who managed to miss it and picked it up and followed me till I managed to pull in. Accompanied by an almighty racket as the cradle dragged along the road !!

Second time was two weeks ago when boarding a ferry in Calais where the French dockers jammed the ramp in a switchback arrangement. Cleared the first dip but caught the cradle on the second which pushed the tyre back and again jumped out of the bracket and deposited on the car deck !!. We had to put the tyre in the van and tie the empty cradle back up with bungee ropes while the lorries drove around me !! Very embarrassing !!

I have now fitted G clamps around the holding bracket and chained the rear part of the cradle to the chassis.

Hope it holds !!!

Guest Peter James
Well my spare wheel won't fall off because I've put a bolt through it and up through the floor to prevent theft. What with all the folks round here looking for a spare wheel ;-)

• 3 weeks later...

Yesterday had my spare wheel carrier replaced during annual service. No details/information from dealer but just found a hexagonal extension bar in the parcel shelf. At first I thought they had left a tool behind from the servicing, but on inspection of the new carrier it now appears to be operated from the offside with the aid of the bar. The security of having to open the rear door to drop the wheel seems to have been lost.

Can anyone confirm?

Guest Peter James
ChrisB - 2011-11-03 1:40 PM

Yesterday had my spare wheel carrier replaced during annual service. No details/information from dealer but just found a hexagonal extension bar in the parcel shelf. At first I thought they had left a tool behind from the servicing, but on inspection of the new carrier it now appears to be operated from the offside with the aid of the bar. The security of having to open the rear door to drop the wheel seems to have been lost.

Can anyone confirm?

You did not have to open the rear door to drop the wheel, you could turn the releasing mechanism from underneath. This is how I initially lowered my spare wheel before I found that hole the winding handle fits into. You just turn the other end of the same shaft, with an ordinary socket.

Incidentally, which make do you have? Fiat, Peugeot, or Citroen?

Peter James - 2011-11-03 3:32 PM

You did not have to open the rear door to drop the wheel, you could turn the releasing mechanism from underneath. This is how I initially lowered my spare wheel before I found that hole the winding handle fits into. You just turn the other end of the same shaft, with an ordinary socket.

Incidentally, which make do you have? Fiat, Peugeot, or Citroen?

Peter

Thanks for the info - I only followed the handbook for lowering the wheel and this involved opening the door, removing the plastic cap etc. Never tried just shuffling underneath!

Still doesn't make me feel more secure. Now very easy for anyone to lower and remove the spare wheel. Having lost one on a previous Ducato (pre X250) by the thieves simply unclipping the cradle (in my driveway) I'm feeling uneasy about their return!. I'm going to have to investigate a chain+padlock again.

Have emialed Fiat Cutomer Services for advice, but not holding my breath.

Guest Peter James

Well I have just had the safety recall letter for my Citroen Relay L4 H2 Heavy van (manufactured may 2008, registered July 2009)

The wording is worthy of Sir Humphrey Appleby, I quote the first 2 sentences from my letter;

Your Citroen Vehicle, the details of which appear above, is subject to an operation to check and possibly replace the spare wheel fixing system. This measure will prevent any potentially incorrect securing of the spare wheel.

Sounds better than saying the spare wheel might fall off, doesn't it (lol)

Further to this thread and the surmise that Fiat (and Peugeot/Citroen) were working their way through a chronological 'list' of vans with the spare wheel carrier issue, and to interchange update in December 2011 MMM page 174, we have received today a Vehicle Safety Recall Notice from Fiat.

We have a 2010 registered model Bolero 680FB and the VIN is way beyond the range highlighted in MMM.

So it seems that Fiat, et al, are moving relatively swiftly to address this issue. I am awaiting a callback from my local Fiat Professional dealer to arrange a fix date - interested to see if they can move as swiftly.

Only just picked up this thread but the following may be of help. I received a recall notice earlier this year regarding my spare wheel carrier (I own a Peugeot based 2007 Autocruise Starburst coachbuilt). Having gone to the dealer he had a quick look and said my vehicle was not affected as I could not lower my carrier from inside the vehicle. Hence, I believe that only van conversions are affected. Regarding the owner who has had his spare fall out a couple of times, I have noticed that when lifting the loaded carrier from underneath one has to be very careful to ensure that both the hooks on the rear of the carrier properly engage with the holes in the Al-Ko chassis as lifting the carrier with the jack tends to tilt the carrier as it is lifted from only one side.

I have a 2010 registered panel van conversion which falls within the chassis range for recalls according to the VOSA website. Today I spoke to my local Fiat dealer who assured me that my vehicle was not subject to recall after checking the Fiat website. I have also registered with the Fiat website and this also confirms that there are no outstanding recalls for my vehicle.

However, the dealer said he had received 6 calls this morning from Fiat Ducato owners who had received recall letters from Fiat. I can't believe my vehicle is not subject to recall so it seems that I shall have to wait until Fiat send me a recall notice. I guess others will be in the same position.

colin weston - 2011-11-17 4:29 PM

Only just picked up this thread but the following may be of help. I received a recall notice earlier this year regarding my spare wheel carrier (I own a Peugeot based 2007 Autocruise Starburst coachbuilt). Having gone to the dealer he had a quick look and said my vehicle was not affected as I could not lower my carrier from inside the vehicle. Hence, I believe that only van conversions are affected. Regarding the owner who has had his spare fall out a couple of times, I have noticed that when lifting the loaded carrier from underneath one has to be very careful to ensure that both the hooks on the rear of the carrier properly engage with the holes in the Al-Ko chassis as lifting the carrier with the jack tends to tilt the carrier as it is lifted from only one side.

It is not how the spare wheel is raised/lowered that is the problem, it is the way the spare wheel is secured once raised that has been found fallible. I am therefore inclined to think your dealer may have been addressing you through his trousers! :-) This problem will certainly affect PVCs supplied with spare wheels suspended from the SEVEL standard underfloor mechanism. It is also possible it may affect some (probably very few) coachbuilts based on SEVEL platform-cab chassis, where the same mechanism has been retained by the converter, and a spere wheel supplied. The problem seems to be specific to the SEVEL van and platform-cab chassis, so unless someone has been very inventive and fitted to SEVEL mechanism to an AlKo chassis based coachbuilt, I strongly doubt that any vehicle with an AlKo chassis would be affected.

Guest Peter James

Have any of these spare wheels actually fallen off?

The only accounts I have heard are of spare wheels disappearing, with no indication of whether they have fallen off or been stolen (?)

This is true. However, as it has now become a VOSA recall item, I assume a safety issue must have been identified. I don't think they run recalls merely to prevent theft or loss.

With a spare wheel suspended as these spares are, the only serious risk I can think of would be spontaneous lowering, raising the possibility of the wheel detaching from the mechanism, or that wheels have actually detached and fallen onto the carriageway.

I think I'm right in saying these recalls are now co-ordinated and run EU wide, so it may be that this has not happened in UK, where the roads are generally not too bad, but elsewhere in the EU where bad roads have caused severe vibration and consequent failure of the mechanism.

Archived