selling my van

Pete-B

I'm sure that a while back someone recommended a guy who would buy your motor home and offer a reasonable and fair valuation for it. I'd appreciate it if anyone could remember the posting and pass on the details to me.

I'm in a position of thinking about a change and weighing up the part exchange way or going shopping with cash in your pocket.

Thanks for any help.

No dealer is ever going to offer you more in cash to buy your motorhome than they would offer in part exchange, so that part of the puzzle is clear for a start. Dealers have sold a lot of motorhomes this year and may be short of stock, so they might buy at a slightly higher price than otherwise at present but they will still want to be able to sell at a profit. If you change your motorhome you inevitable have to sacrifice the dealer's margin, which is likely to be £5,000 plus.

As a cash buyer you are potentilly at an advantage for purpose of negotiating over price in normal times but I don't see these as normal times, just slightly more favourable times for selling now if that's what you want to do. If you are happy to sell now and take your time buying, maybe waiting until next year when the stock shortage has ended, you might gain a bit but not a lot.

When I sold our 15 year old Pilote in 2006, I used David Fuller at Gunthorpe nr Nottingham. At that time they operated on a commission basis, did all the pre sale preparation and advertising. Having studied the market, I was happy with the final return. I see that the company is still operating, but I do not know iwhether they still operate on the commission basis.

Alan

Pete-B - 2020-09-13 1:40 PM

I'm sure that a while back someone recommended...

Roughly how long ago might “a while back” be in this instance?

I don’t recall any recent-ish forum entry that matches your descriprion, though I suppose this 2017 thread comes fairly close.

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/MOTOR-HOME-VALUE/48207/

(I think Bundesvan no longer trades.)

This link is to the results of a GOOGLE-search of these forums using the words selling, motorhome and valuation as the search-term.

https://tinyurl.com/yyqpcwlj

Archived