waste water on motorway

teccer1234

last week on the morning of 11-11-21, I was travelling along the M4 towards Bristol, the roads were dry but I couldn't understand why my windscreen was getting wet and dirty until I got closer to the campervan in front, he was discharging his waste water onto the motorway, not the done thing is it!!!

it's a good job I was not police in an unmarked car as I'm sure he would have been pulled up and fined

894198396_waterdumping.jpg.12c218c296a9b53e0df8f0a366dd99aa.jpg

Sorry to be flippant. But they moan about camper vans putting grey water down the rainwater drains into rivers. When the Utility Companies are pumping raw sewage in. Apparently they can't get the chemicals to treat it now. Due to that word we are forbidden to use on Motorhome Matters ;-)

Coaches used to do it all the time , Don,t know if they still do, Trains used to dump raw sewage onto the tracks which is why you were told not to use the toilet at the station. It's not a a polite thing to do dump grey waste but it could be worse. ,just keep your distance.

Word of caution, under the data protection act I think the driver of the van could in theory take you to court so you might want to obliterate his number plate or remove the photo. After all you are accusing him of doing something he might or might not be aware if. It might be he didn't realise he was dumping waste water. I've sat for ages dumping my waste before leaving a site only to move off, thinking it was empty and for loads more to pour out. I think I've read in one of the magazines that to prepare your van for winter after draining down grey and clean water to drive around to try and remove the excess, maybe that's what he was doing, or maybe not.

It’s a potential defamation issue rather than a data protection issue so of higher risk. That aside, unless there’s incontrovertible proof that the driver is knowingly dumping waste water which I suspect would be difficult - especially as it might just as easily be the potable water from a heater frost valve malfunction or even engine related - it’s probably best to give the driver the benefit of the doubt.

I’ve blanked out the motorhome’s number-plate in the photo in the original thread.

(I remember someone telling me that they’d been pulled over by the police on a UK motorway having just returned from France on an overnight crossing. The policeman said “Do you know, sir, that your vehicle has been reported for blowing bubbles?” The wife had to go to work as soon as they arrived home and, in order to save time, had decided to use the motorhome’s shower while the husband drove carefully at a steady speed. The waste-water tank had been emptied before leaving France, but its drain tap had not been fully closed - hence the soapy bubbles. The wife (young and wearing a skimpy towel) emerged from the bathroom and aplogised. The policeman was suitably impressed and no further action was taken.)

stevec176 - 2021-11-14 1:55 PM

Word of caution, under the data protection act I think the driver of the van could in theory take you to court so you might want to obliterate his number plate or remove the photo. After all you are accusing him of doing something he might or might not be aware if. It might be he didn't realise he was dumping waste water. I've sat for ages dumping my waste before leaving a site only to move off, thinking it was empty and for loads more to pour out. I think I've read in one of the magazines that to prepare your van for winter after draining down grey and clean water to drive around to try and remove the excess, maybe that's what he was doing, or maybe not.

I can't see what grounds the driver would have for taking anyone to court.

Certainly no chance of success because nobody accused him of doing it deliberately.

Only of dumping liquid on the carriageway and the proof is there in the photo.

Probably on the motorway cameras too.

Archived