Tromso

Guest Tracker

Well done Richard, and may I also offer my most sincere congratulations and the very best for the future to you and Dot as well.

Difficult to phrase this, but there was no, err, 'undue haste' setting the date for this forthcoming wedding was there.

*-)

Guest Tracker
howie - 2008-08-01 7:42 PM

Well done Richard, and may I also offer my most sincere congratulations and the very best for the future to you and Dot as well.

Difficult to phrase this, but there was no, err, 'undue haste' setting the date for this forthcoming wedding was there.

*-)

Typical Howie - trust you to lower the tone - I shall treat that comment with the contemplation that it deserves!

Tracker

The sun must indeed shine on the righteous if you managed two successive ‘nights’ worth of midnight sun. According to statistics kept at the North Cape Hall, the sun is (on average) only visible at midnight for 7 days per year, so since we both had two successive nights worth, there’s not much left for anyone else in 2008.

The “handy free parking area” that I was referring to, was located about 1 km from the entrance to the plateau and meant that folk could park and easily walk onto the viewing area without having to pay the NOK 200 per person for the privilege of driving in. It is quite true that you can stay more or less anywhere on Magerøya without any problems and in fact we used the Knivskjellodden car park on the E69 (about 8 km short of the North Cape).

Did you do the walk to Knivskjellodden and the Year 2000 Cairn?

Hi Mike. A little off thread but I vaguely remember a game called 'cubb' being played from my time in Norway. This involved placing 8 wooden blocks about 4m apart in two rows with a larger king pin in the centre. Not to sure of the rules, but the idea seemed to be that by throwing and knocking down the blocks with small wooden pins you then took out the king pin to win the game.

Long time ago, and maybe you have seen it played as it seemed very popular at the time.

Guest Tracker
spospe - 2008-08-01 11:04 Pm

Did you do the walk to Knivskjellodden and the Year 2000 Cairn?

No we didn't manage that one because it was thick mist and very windy and none too warm when we got there on the Friday.

So we parked up o/n on the quay at Skarsvag in the hope of a better Saturday - and sure 'nuff Saturday was much brighter and drier, just as the nice lady in Honningsvag had said it would be, so we high tailed it to the Nordkapp pdq in case it changed it's mind.

After leaving the Cape on Sunday morning for a day out to Gjesvaer - truly a place with 'the end of the world' feeling - we were too knackered for that rather arduous walk so decided to take the easy option and leave it for next time and return to the Cape for our second paid for night!

Just as well we did return because whereas we did see the sun on Saturday at midnight - well 20 past actually - Sunday night was spectacular with low cloud over the sea up to the cliff top level - just like flying - and no wind to annoy the 30 or so coachloads of visitors and the occupants of the 110 (YES - 110!) various motorhomes, caravans and tents present in the car park. If everyone had paid 200 nok that must be a nice little earner!

Howie

Take a look at: http://www.kubb.co.uk/ for the rules of the game of "Kubb"

Tracker

A point to remember about Norway is that they use daylight saving time in the summer, i.e. they are an hour ahead. The effect of this is that "midnight", the sun's lowest point, is actually at about 00:43 for the longitude of the North Cape, so you were pretty close.

Michael

Hi Rich

What wonderful news ... I hope you will both be very, very happy together. :->

Now don't foget to tell us all where it will happen so that we can all come and throw confetti at the pair of you and get a good nosh at your reception. :D You are going to invite us all ... aren't you? 8-) Just think of all the wedding pressies you'll get. :$

Thanks for that website Michael, and much appreciated. This is the game I remember, though the losers at that time were expected to pay for nothing more than a round of drinks rather than be put to the sword, or axe, along with with family, friends and livestock.

Seems to be gaining in popularity, although the thought of fellow campers taking it up and throwing blocks of wood about does not overly excite me.

Mel B - 2008-08-03 6:05 PM

Hi Rich

What wonderful news ... I hope you will both be very, very happy together. :->

Now don't foget to tell us all where it will happen so that we can all come and throw confetti at the pair of you and get a good nosh at your reception. :D You are going to invite us all ... aren't you? 8-) Just think of all the wedding pressies you'll get. :$

How about me and Chopper as page boys Richard, and if you're into pantomime, Mel and co as bridesmaids. :->

Archived