Starter Motor

michele

At the weekend I did a trip to Chester to visit my sister who unfortunately was in the Walton Hospital Liverpool .

Basically on the way home it started to rain I tried to put on the screen wipers but I had none . It made me doubt that I had hit the right side of the stick so there I was swopping and checking watching my indicators flashing . I couldnt get anything fast slow intermitant .

I drove to the Keele service station as that was the next stop thank god it wasnt lashing it down .

When I pulled up I atuomatically turned off the engine tried to start it again and nothing BUT because my screen wipers were now in the on position they started to work . I phoned hubby and explained and he suggested disconnecting the battery killing the lot and just trying .Nothing no engine no nothing I opened the bonnet and it stunk like electrical

1hour later and the RAC turning up I had no starter motor left the RAC guy gave me a quick tug with the warning dont stall it on the way home .

At home hubby removed the starter motor I wished I had of took a picture for you all my god what a mess I cant explain what it is but its sort of like a fan shape on the starter somehow I had managed to eat half the metal away ..today I picked up the new one costing £100 and all is back to normal well oce hubby fits it again I have no idea why this happened and the only thing I can think of is the ignition key stayed in the far position I certainly never heard anything and the van drove like a dream .just becareful that your ignition key returnes back to its normal position because i think that is the only way this could of happened .

michele - 2008-06-26 7:33 PM

At the weekend I did a trip to Chester to visit my sister who unfortunately was in the Walton Hospital Liverpool .

Basically on the way home it started to rain I tried to put on the screen wipers but I had none . It made me doubt that I had hit the right side of the stick so there I was swopping and checking watching my indicators flashing . I couldnt get anything fast slow intermitant .

I drove to the Keele service station as that was the next stop thank god it wasnt lashing it down .

When I pulled up I atuomatically turned off the engine tried to start it again and nothing BUT because my screen wipers were now in the on position they started to work . I phoned hubby and explained and he suggested disconnecting the battery killing the lot and just trying .Nothing no engine no nothing I opened the bonnet and it stunk like electrical

1hour later and the RAC turning up I had no starter motor left the RAC guy gave me a quick tug with the warning dont stall it on the way home .

At home hubby removed the starter motor I wished I had of took a picture for you all my god what a mess I cant explain what it is but its sort of like a fan shape on the starter somehow I had managed to eat half the metal away ..today I picked up the new one costing £100 and all is back to normal well oce hubby fits it again I have no idea why this happened and the only thing I can think of is the ignition key stayed in the far position I certainly never heard anything and the van drove like a dream .just becareful that your ignition key returnes back to its normal position because i think that is the only way this could of happened .

You drove right past my house and you never popped in for a brew michelle. :-o

I suppose you would call it the starter motor engaging gear that was all broken and twisted ... i really wished I had taken a piccy for you all to see the damage . I reckon you are right about watching the ignition the guy at the shop said he would change the barrel just incase this happened again .

funny never heard anything didnt even have the music on . It snot like in your car if you start the car and then held on to the key you would get an awful noise ...nothing Zilch ..

Well a leasson learned trust it to be out of warranty now ..such is life :-|

• 1 month later...

Just an update we had the starter motor rectified . Put it back on started straight away no problems . Went to a friends garage around a 20 mile drive no problems .

My friend was changing the tyres and setting the tracking with one of them red eye things got in the van tried to start it and nothing not a thing again . My friend got underneath touched something and it started again he decided to play with it but said maybe to go back to the starter motor place again .

I went back and I think the guy said he would strip it down again and do the solonoid ? I think anyway picked it up again and hubby just about to put it back again . It seems like something is loose ,connection between the ignition and the starter . Any suggestion if we get this when it is back on the motor ? I dont want to be stuck in france well anywhere being stuck, all cause we could of renewed something .

Thanks everyone.

Hi Michele,

While hubby is grovelling around under the van with the starter motor get him to check the condition of the earth strap that goes between the engine and chassis and that the connections each end are not corroded and are making a good contact. A poor connection here could be causing your problem, also check the swaged terminals on the starter motor cables these can also some times come loose. good luck hope you sort it out Regards geoff

It sounds like the starter stayed engaged after the engine started. the engine then drove the starter many times faster than intended and wrecked it. Probably the ignition switch is falling to pieces internally ( the wipers are probably fed by it as well) and ocasionally supplying current to the starter after the key is released.

A new ignition switch as previously mentioned is probably needed.

Best of luck.

It sounds like the starter stayed engaged after the engine started. the engine then drove the starter many times faster than intended and wrecked it. Probably the ignition switch is falling to pieces internally ( the wipers are probably fed by it as well) and ocasionally supplying current to the starter after the key is released.

A new ignition switch as previously mentioned is probably needed.

Best of luck.

Hi Michele,

You will have to change the Ignition switch aswell as the starter motor + solonoid.

The wiring from the switch needs to be checked for overloading .They may have fused together. The wires can be viewed under the ignition switch (yellow ,Red, Etc).

Check and change the following:-

1)- Ignition switch, Replace

2)- Solonoid switch, Replace

3)- Wiring from switch, Replace/Repair loom

4)- Earth Wiring connections from Engine/Gearbox to chassis

5)- Fuse box connections, Repair/Replace

This should give you back faith in your Motorhome.

Have a nice Hol' in France,Keep us all informed.

Regards,

Brendan.

Archived