satellite tv reception

Guest wendy curry

Guest wendy curry
we recently had a satellite dish factory fitted to our motorhome. On arrival at home we attempted to use our home digibox and guided the dish in the direction of the satellite but could not get a signal. 1.Can we get a reception just using our home digibox 2. do we need an additional satellite receiver or finder and if so what type would be best

I second the above reply but just to say we have what is su;pposed to be one of the best satellite systems (certainly cost enough!) and get no end of problems... we arrive back on site anxious to watch a programme and it can take ages to find a signal. If I was left to my own devices, I would never manage to watch satellite in the motorhome!! It has been looked at a few times by the company who swear that there is no problem whatsoever (must agree it behaves better when they try it!! What make is your system? Ana x

Try David Sullivan's excellent tuning guide on his web site at . Be aware that tuning to digital transmissions is a lot more difficult than the old analogue satellite transmissions. Digital has to have a good signal to work at all whereas analogue would give you a snowy picture when you were quite a long way off beam. With difital i's either on or off.

I agree with Mel we have a manual dish fitted to our "gin palace" (as Clive would call it) it raises up electrically with a elevation readout and you manually turn the dish by the mounting pole (which is inside the wardrobe) I fitted the dish and pole my self and have not had a problem! You have to make sure the van is level and be patient ie don't rotate the dish too quickly I use a signal metre and have now no problem in setting up. The only time we have lost the signal was in very stong winds when I presume the folding arm for the LNB must have raised up out of focus but this was only temporary. Pat

Wendy I have found that the crucial setting is elevation. If this is just a fraction out at the dish it is hundreds of thousands of miles out in space and so misses the satelite by the same margin. Once the elevation is correct careful, stepped "sweeping" of 20 degrees either side of the satelite's position should locate it. I am going to invest in a sat finder meter that can be left connected "full time" just to save on the swearing! Regards Neal

I permanently fitted a small pole to the top of the van to which the satellite dish clamps. I had great difficulty in getting a signal and almost gave up.I now have a tripod with compass and spirit level attached, and find it very much easier to get set up. No doubt elevation is the issue with the van never quite level. I presume that if you buy one of these automatic jobs all is well, but that's outside my budget. Whiel I'm on about it - RoadPro have a flat aerial cable adapter that brings the cable through a window without it being open to the elements. Well round between the window and the frame. Very useful.

Archived