Holiday driving HELL

chas

Could be worth watching tonight 8pm ITV I am sure it will not apply to most of us clued up motorhomers, but then again , not all of us can keep up with all the laws they keep implementing for the motorist. :-S

I shall watch it for sure. Thanks for the "heads up"

Latest thing in France is that all drivers must have a High Visibility Jacket to wear if you break down.

It seems the 3 month warning period is now over and even french drivers caught without one get an on the spot fine of 130 euro.

French Police are apparently having a field day at the ferry ports stopping UK drivers and fining them.

Incidently the report I read said that these jackets are made in China for about 50p and sold for about £10.

So if you are going to France - add one of these jackets to the box of bulbs and the warning triangle.

Thing is - carrying this stuff is actually sensible - I wonder why we do not have the same laws - then getting caught out would not be an issue.

Clive, you are quite right, I saw a guy yesterday wearing one whilst changing a tyre at the side of a busy A road.

I for one will be wearing mine in the UK in the event of the inevitable puncture/breakdown.

Come to think about it, I'll buy 3 more, 2 for whilst in the car and another for Andrea whilst in the van then we're both covered. Literally...

I got it via Andreas' employers H&S rep for £2 I seem to remember.

Martyn

CliveH - 2008-07-14 8:20 AM

Incidently the report I read said that these jackets are made in China for about 50p and sold for about £10.

They make ipods in china for £5 and sell them here for £180

They make spec frames in china for 50p and sell them here for £150 (with lenses added of course)

I could go on (lol)

Slightly off topic but I am in France right now.

The other night travelling fast just before and just after Claremont Ferrand I was flashed by speed camera's no less than four times, no I wasn't doing over 100 mph but I was doing just over 75 mph.

What happens now?? will I hear from the French authorities do you think

Syd - 2008-07-14 10:50 PM

Slightly off topic but I am in France right now.

The other night travelling fast just before and just after Claremont Ferrand I was flashed by speed camera's no less than four times, no I wasn't doing over 100 mph but I was doing just over 75 mph.

What happens now?? will I hear from the French authorities do you think

Hope they don't send you to the salt mines then Syd! Joking apart I'm wondering whether you were on the outskirts of Clermont-Ferrand where the speed limit is 110kph? Or maybe it was raining? 75mph is equivalent to just over 120kph in which case you would have been speeding. Hope it was just one of those speed warning signs that flashed you.

Having watched the programme last night, it seems yet again the producers missed the chance of really educating potential motorists of things to be aware of and equipment needed to stay legal over there. The time wasted showing the female presenter playing dodgems in the busiest place in the centre of Paris 8-) was wasted air time.

The only thing I did learn from the whole programme was that it was an offence to stop at a pedestrian crossing to allow some one to cross, in France, (^) chas

chas - 2008-07-15 6:16 AM

The only thing I did learn from the whole programme was that it was an offence to stop at a pedestrian crossing to allow some one to cross, in France, (^) chas

I, too, was surprised by this statement and have never heard of it before. I always stop and so do the French cars now in my area - just still be aware of the Belgians! This was the only new thing I learned and not convinced that it is true (I will try to research this before going back next month). Mind you I was very surprised how ignorant some drivers were about the signs etc. and I am sure there has been massive publicity for years about radar spotters.

Syd - sorry but it looks then as if you were speeding (110kph max when raining) so off to the mines! Seriously though you may be ok as I don't think they can fine you once you have left France at the moment - can't remember the date when new legislation comes into force.

Possibly unless they catch you at the port - most people use Calais now I think either the chunnel or the ferry. I know that legislation is coming in where all countries in the EU will have reciprocal rights to collect fines when people are back in their own country. Many years ago we collected a parking fine in Germany or Switzerland, written in German, and we couldn't understand a word of it nor why we had been targeted so we ignored it. Fortunately we didn't hear any more about it but that was long before the EU! Have you made it back home then now?

Archived