North Cape

spospe

The attached photo shows the midnight sun at the North Cape of Norway on 16 / 17th June this year (acutally it was at about 00:20 on the 17th).

What many folk forget is that Norway uses summer-time just like everyone else and so the true lowest point of the sun is not at midnight, but rather nearer to 01:00.

Although the sun was shining brightly, that does not equate with warmth and the actual temperature (out of the wind) was about 2 degrees celsius.

I have been to the North Cape 4 times now, first in 2001, then twice in 2002 and fourthly this year. The viewing conditions this year being the most spectacular, as there were nice cloud formations to make the sky more interesting than the total overcast of 2001 and the unremitting blue of 2002.

One point of critical importance to anyone thinking that by travelling to the North Cape, that they have reached the northernmost point of Europe, is that they have only reached the northernmost point that can be driven to. The actual northernmost point is at the end of the Knivskjellodden peninsular and that is by way of an 18 km round trip walk from the car park off the E69 (located about 7 km before the North cape).

That's all for now, but if anyone would like more piccys posting to this thread, just ask nicely and I will oblige.

northcape1.JPG.24871cb9cb9295413c7d1cb92b30ffdf.JPG

Dear ROON

As a lady asks so nicely, here are three more North Cape photos, all taken between 16 and 17 June this year.

The first is of the midnight sun and shows the 'globe' that marks the position of 71 degrees 10 minutes and 21 seconds north, on the North Cape plateau.

The second shows the North Cape globe and Knivskjellodden (the northernmost point of all) at about 11:00 am and gives a taste of how barren the landscape actually is.

The third shows the North Cape from the tip of Knivskjellodden (at 71 degrees 11 minutes and 8 seconds north) and if you look carefully, you will be able to see the globe on the top of the Cape.

The North Cape is at about 1000 ft above sea level and it is a bleak, barren, windswept and frost shattered landscape that for me at least holds a fascination. To ‘do’ the Cape properly you also have to walk to the tip of Knivskjellodden and view it from there. As an incentive to do, the 18 km (it is not difficult, just a long walk over rough ground and snow), afterwards you can apply for a certificate from the DNT (the Norwegian Mountain Club) and for a mere NOK50 (about £5) they will issue you with one. There is a logbook at the tip of the peninsula, in a red metal box, visible in the last photo, which you have to sign and then quote the reference number at the tourist office in Honningsvåg in order to get your certificate.

One last point about Norway in general, if your van is over 6 metres long you will wince at the ferry, tunnel and bridge tolls.

northcape3.JPG.f0573b005b198ac2847d65c240e8a31e.JPG

northcape4.JPG.84f216eb02f821769f0f58c9f80803ab.JPG

northcape5.JPG.151b69b22c8616ecac8b8be41cdb9e11.JPG

Just to get it out of my system, here are another two North Cape midnight suns.

The first is from 27 May 2002 when the sky was entirely blue all day and yet to me this seems a ‘cold’ picture. In fact, it was about minus 3 Celsius all day and the water pipes under our Duetto froze up, necessitating a drop down from the North Cape plateau to Honningsvåg in order to thaw them out.

The second shows the view in the other direction and it features the sun being reflected in the windows of North Cape Hall.

That’s all folks, no more for now.

Image23.jpg.4df41648d086c0f45f40206c5e8bd493.jpg

Image17.jpg.5b4dbc02547036c18cf59994985ac26d.jpg

Hi

This is on my todo list - bit do i have to wait until i retire?

The key questions are:-

1)What route did you take inc which ferry crossing (have i heard correctly that crossings from Newcastle is stopping/has stopped)

2)How long did it take

3)the max time away i can manage is 30 days - is it doable?

Peter

Peter

1) We have used DFDS from Newcastle to Kristiansand in 2001 and to Stavanger this year. In other years, we have driven to Dover, crossed to Dunkirk and driven via Belgium, The Netherlands, Germany, Denmark and Sweden to reach Norway. I too have heard that the ferry from Newcastle to Stavanger is to stop in September, but I have no definite proof of this.

2) The routes we have taken to the North Cape have been equally varied. In 2001 we drove slowly up through Norway (avoiding the E6 wherever possible) and eventually came back south via Finland, Sweden, Denmark, Germany etc. In 2002 we drove both ways from / to Dunkirk and this time drove quickly north through Sweden to the North Cape and then meandered south through Norway. This year we used the Newcastle to Stavanger crossing both ways and took a very leisurely route north through Norway using the Kystriksveien (Rich Coast Road) which involved many ferry crossings but was scenically wonderful.

Distances were, this year just on 5000 miles (ferry from Newcastle to Norway and return to UK) and in 2002 when we drove all the way via Dover, just under 9000 miles. We live near Manchester, so Newcastle is a shorter run than Dover.

3) It is possible to drive to the North Cape and back in 30 days, but I doubt that you would enjoy it much and you would have to miss out such a lot of interesting sights. To make it in that kind of time scale would mean using the E6 (Norway’s version of the M1) all the way and it is not by any means the most enjoyable road. As a guide, the Norwegian tourist board recommend an average of 150 miles a day as this will give time for sightseeing and a relaxing drive. Roads over there are not wide, indeed the E6 itself is for the most part only one lane in each direction.

If you have any further questions, just ask …………… Michael

Don

I recognise your first photo, it is of the sun taken looking through Kirkeporten, but where was the second one taken?

Peter

I should have mentioned that all my trips have been of over 9 weeks duration (one was 11). It is obviosly possible to drive to the North Cape and back in a couple of weeks, but I suggest that in order to get the best out of such a trip and to see all the worthwhile bits of a beutifull country, you need at least 8 weeks.

Don

Thanks for the reply, I have been to Inari (in 2001) but did not recognise the scene in your photo. Inari is a pleasent enough lake, but not as dramatic a view as Kirkeporten: its also got lots of mosquitoes!

Michael

spospe - 2008-07-23 6:20 PM

Don

Thanks for the reply, I have been to Inari (in 2001) but did not recognise the scene in your photo. Inari is a pleasent enough lake, but not as dramatic a view as Kirkeporten: its also got lots of mosquitoes!

Michael

Michael,

We've found that if your back below the arctic circle by mid summers day you miss the mossies. 8-)

It's worked for us.

Don

Archived