Travel to Ireland by Ferry - advice needed

Moncayoman

Hello all,

Taking the van to Ireland in September - never been there and need the benefit of your experience here please.

Ferry from Holyhead to Dublin City by Irish Ferries (Ulysees) or Stena Lines to Dun Laoghaire on their HSS.

What vessel would you choose ?

Which port in Ireland is the easiest to find your way out from ? We are not stopping at Dublin but heading West.

Any recommended campsites an easy journey from the port(s) ?

Thanks Gang.

Ulysses is the best ferry by a long way, huge and modern. HSS is tiny and less comfortable but faster. It's down to cost really and how much time/ comfort are important to you?

Plus, if you're heading south, use DL as it's just south of Dublin, if you're heading west or north use Dublin. Signposts are easy to follow. Avoid the M50 at peak hours as it's a huge carpark.

If you let me know more of where you fancy going and the kind of things you'd like to see and do, I'll try to help.

I'll come back and check this thread in a day or two.

:-D

Have considrable experience of motorhoming in Ireland, returning from latest trip about two weeks ago. Happy to help with sites etc.

As for travel, there are several choices, would agree that Ulysees is the best, operated by Irish Ferries it goes to Dublin Port taking just over 3 hours. The Dublin Swift also goes to Dublin port, this is small, uncomfortable and as you will guess not recommended. The HSS, operatd by Stena, goes to DL, I find it large with plenty of space, although a bit less comfortable due to faster speed. As cost is important to us we stick to Ulysees.

It arrives into Dublin Port, which I find easier than DL, then you will have two choices to get out of the city, either follow signs for City centre and then N4 -the West. This will take you along the Quays, traffic fairly heavy but much less than previously since the tunnel opened. It is a pretty straight route with just one tricky bit where you cross the River and turn immediately right. From there it is a pretty straight road out of the city heading west.

The other alternative is to use the tunnel which will take you out to the M50 to the north of the city near the airport. Much roadworks on M50 and, as the previous post says, it is very slow at rush hour. Personal choice on that one really.

Have a wonderful holiday, happy to answer any more questions you may have on forum, or let me have you email address.

Hi,

You have got great advice the only thing I can add is avoid Dublin at rush times i.e. early morning(7.00-9.30),lunch time (12.30-2.30) and evening rush (5.00 to 7.00).

If you P.M. me with your route I will forward you with sites and overnight stops en route,

Have a lovely hol'

Regards,

Brendan.

THANKS my forum Chums.

The Stena Line HSS offers reasonably civilised crossing times and the Ulysees gets us into Dublin at peak hour !! Stena to DL and Ulysees to Dublin City.

Heading from Dublin out west towards Mayo (Balina / Crossmolina) and then down the west coast towards Kerry and onto Cork. Back up through Wicklow. Thats the plan but we have about three weeks to have a look around.

To be honest we are just looking forward to getting over there.

Right, head west to Athlone, nice site on the west of the lake at Hodson Bay. (or Hodson Point?) Easy to find.

Lovely site in Ballina, family run, called Beleek Caravan site. Try eating in Beleek Castle for a truly unique experience. It's like eating in the distant past, dogs wandering around, suita of armour etc. 20 mins walk from site or use a taxi ? Try to do this, it won't be there for much longer.

Ballina, great salmon and seatrout fishing in Ballina. Visit the Ridgepool Tackleshop, owned by a close relative of mine. Owner is very friendly and helpful. (Shameless plug haha)

Great walking in thsi area too.

Go to Westport. Mayo. Very large site, good for families but a little expensive. Short walk into town. Town is very charming.

Achill Island is lovely and there are a couple of nice sites. Stunning scenery.

Galway city is a lovely place to spend time. There is a greyhound race stadium. Great fun, you might be surprised!

Co Clare is hauntingly beautiful. Visit Ballyvaughan and wild camp overlooking the harbour. No one will bother you.

The Alwee Caves are 10 mins drive up the mountain from here.

Visit the Cliffs of Moher. Visit the Burren, outstanding walking area. Lots of books/ guides available.

Get a good guidebook for Co Clare - lots to see and do.

It's getting late. I'll add more in the next day or so.

Hope this helps.

Best option is Dublin Port then leave by Port Tunnel. There is no charge if over 3 ton. Although the swift is less comfortable the evening crossing arrives after rush hour. Watch the closing dates for the campsites as some sites close from the middle of September. Nagles in Doolin is well worth the trek west.

Have a good trip

Thought I'd hitch a lift on this thread as it's relevant!

For years we've 'wild-camped' and used the Aires all over France. How would we get on in Ireland? Does anyone have experience of this? I see one mention of wild camping a bit further up.

hymerdriver - 2008-07-24 2:56 PM

Nagles in Doolin is well worth the trek west.

Have a good trip

Doolin is a perfect wee campsite. Lovely views over the harbour and a couple of traditional music pubs within easy walking distance.

Answer to above Q on wild camping. There are lots of places to wild camp. Parking on remote harbours is one of my favourite ways to camp. There are also a lot of beach carparks where overnighting is possible. Best to just ask in local shops or pubs - you'll get lots of free advice.

If the original poster is interested, I can give more info on west Cork and Kerry?

Cheers.

Hi Les,

Yes you can use a lot of Pub car parks with no problems. A quite word with the owner a pint or two or meal and all should be o.k.

You can also park in a lot of small towns, look around until you see other mororhomes parked up and thats it.

Regards,

Brendan.

Just a quick post to update - been busy lately.

If you go south to Cork and Kerry, which I'd recommend, try canping at Sneem, and there's a fantastic site at Eagle Point, Near Bantry.

Also on the most western point, there's a great site right on the beach at Barley Cove.

Hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Moncayoman

We are just back from west Cork and wanted to stay there forever. Around Dursey Sound and Allihes, about a half hour beyond Castletownbere, is just heaven on earth.

In the coastal areas, plan to travel at around 30 mph and be prepared to reverse/stop if you meet an oncoming tractor/lorry as many of the coastal roads are really only access roads. Although, having visited the Bath area in June, the roads are probably wider than in certain parts of England and Wales.

The roads inland from the coast are fine and the "N" roads are smoother than the "R" ones. Take your time and enjoy the craic with the locals.

I hope you enjoy your tour of Ireland.

KK

Drove right round the island last year. Good sites - Killarny White Bridge, Dogs Bay near Roundstone in Conemarra, Bushmills in North. (Leave your motorhome at the site and take the wee tour bus to see the sites - cheaper than the parking fees). Beware of trailer sites which charge a lot for tourers but have poor facilities compared with UK.

Best wild camp was at Wine Strand near Dingle. Must visit Inch but be careful not to get on soft sand - we saw a motorhome sunk up to the axles. Provided an amusing hour watching the Frenchman getting more and more stressed as he tried to dig it out. Heroic Dutchman hauled him out with a Landrover.

If you drink take loads with you as prices are high in Eire. (lol)

We still prefer Scotland!

Archived