Door Lock

mirage

Has any owner of a Mirage Motorhome with a failed habitation door lock found a solution to the problem. Understand from Marquis Motorhomes they are unable to source spare parts for these locks which are specific to Mirage. The solution provided thus far is to replace the door and frame not the cheapest option!!!

I expect you are aware that there is a Mirage Owners Club. (According to MMM the contact deatals are as follows: Jeff Bond, 43 Highfield Ave, Waterlooville, PO7 7PY Email: jeffbond@hotmail.com) and, if failed locks are a common problem, club members may be able to help with advice.

If all else fails, you might try getting in touch with Mirage directly, just in case the factory has some spare parts lurking in their workshops. You never know your luck: I recall writing to Ducati in desperation years ago when I needed a replacement petrol-cap for my old motorbike. Months passed, then a padded envelope with Italian stamps on it and a new petrol-cap inside dropped through my letter box. Heaven knows where Ducati found the cap, as the bike had been out of production for about 15 years and had a petrol tank design that I've never seen before or since.

I don't know which type of lock you have but our habitation lock failed a few weeks ago. I took the front plate off the door and inside is a barrel with a flat metal plate inside which had moved, it should have been held in place by a small grub screw. I tightened the screw and sealed it with superglue, refitted the front plate and it has worked OK so far. Hope this may help you or some others maybe.

• 7 months later...
We have the same problem with our Mirage 5000 first registered January 2004. I removed the screws from the lock on the door but have been unable to remove the lock. Can you offer any guidance? My e-mail address is rees.pryce@talktalk.net. I look ofrward to hearing from you.

Rees - 2009-03-19 8:18 AM

We have the same problem with our Mirage 5000 first registered January 2004. I removed the screws from the lock on the door but have been unable to remove the lock. Can you offer any guidance? My e-mail address is rees.pryce@talktalk.net. I look ofrward to hearing from you.

I have now had my lock expertly repaired and it is working excellently. I contacted John Stott of Coastal Caravan Service, Pyle, near Bridgend. He took the lock off the door, opened it up, repaired the spring (putting in a new spring in a slightly broader guage), modified the lock slightly to prevent damage to the spring again, and refitted it. Took him 2 hours (whilst I watched and asked questions; he fully explained eevrything), He charged £40. Now, I am a very satisfied custimer and the van is safely back in it compound.

Archived