Germany...

mom

G'day everyone!

I apologise if this has been covered before.  I just need advice on the best road atlas for Germany?  The AA one looks ok, but is there another that stands out?

Also, who could recommend a stellplatz publication?  I already have Camperstop, but are there any others I should consider?  I don't mind if it is in German!

Thanks in advance!

Good day MOM

We've toured Germany for many years now.

The best road map that I've used for many years now is the one published by ADAC - the German equivalent to the AA here. Its a large scale map and also highlights the scenic routes as well.Also lists all the ferry crossings along the Rhine & Moselle rivers.

Best book for "Stellplatz" is to get the Caravan club's European book, which will list a host of camp sites & stellplatz. We've also had a copy of this for a number of years & find it invaluable.

Just checked both only this week end as we're preparing to go again to Germany for our 12 / 13th trip.

Anything else, then let me know, and if I can be of help then I will.

Regards

Thai

Hi,

We used the Michelin Road Atlas for Germany this year which has a style that we are familiar with. It also covers Austria, Switzerland Benelux and Czech republic as reduced scale but still adequate.

We also found the Bord Atlas published by Reisemobil magazine to be very useful. It comes as two books one for German Stellplatz the other has a selection from most other European countries. The details are good, mostly accurate but it's all in German. We soon worked out that kostenlos meant Free for overnight charges! There is a mixture of Private stellplatz at retaurants (often free for customers), some on campsites and at dealers and mostly municipal ones. It costs €17.90.

We stayed at stellplatz in Germany and found most of them ok, but mostly used campsites elsewhere on our travels.

Steve

Thanks for that, Thai. 

We are great fans of the CC's Europe books (used them for many years in France, Italy, Spain and Portugal) - I only thought of those books as having full amenities sites so I'll take a closer look!

The ADAC road atlas, would that be the one "AA Big Road Atlas Germany, created in conjunction with ADAC"?

Hi;

We tour Germany a lot and I would say that by far the best road atlas is the Falk Maxi atlas, it has a scale of 1;150 000 for excellent detail and also shows lpg station locations, handy if you have refillables. Another handy feature is it shows 'ferienstrasse' or german holiday routes ie the 'romantischestrasse', following or adding one of these into your itinery can make your holiday a bit more interesting.

For stellplatze, I agree about the bordatlas, probably the most comprehensive list of stellplatze going.

They are the 2 publications I always take with us to Germany.

pete

mom - 2008-07-24 12:56 PM Thanks for that, Thai. 

The ADAC road atlas, would that be the one "AA Big Road Atlas Germany, created in conjunction with ADAC"?

We bought the ADAC Maxi atlas for 16.90 euros last year.

Scale of 1:150 000

Thai

mom - 2008-07-24 6:01 PMPete, could you advise where I can buy the Falk Maxi Atlas?

Google searches are showing up obscure german websites only!

Hi Mom;I got mine from one of those obscure German sites you mention (lol) but you should be able to get it online from abebooks, amazon.de or buy it from any bookshop over there.The ISBN no is 9783827904171 and it costs about €17pete

Hi Mom!

Just returned from Germany and yes, the AA Big Road Atlas Of Germany (4km to the inch) was excellent. Although published by the AA it appears to have been prepared by the ADAC, Germany's equivalent motoring organisation. Its large scale involved turning the pages more frequently but hey, you can't have everything!

As far as Stellplatze (sorry, no Umlaut) are concerned, there is another publication by Bordatlas Reisemobile International. This lists 3800 sites throughout Europe and is in German, so a little knowledge of the language helps. I have a 2007 copy which was very kindly passed on to me by David Lloyd, a regular contributor. As it is unlikely that I shall be visiting Germany for a while, I will gladly pass it on to you if you think it will be of any extra help. I'm sure that David will be happy to know that it's still proving useful and going to good homes!

Mike Fleming

Aren't you nice!  Thanks so much for the offer.  But Homenaway mentioned that publication early on in this thread and I have made the purchase already!  Damn!

The books came with a CD of POIs for Garmin and other satnavs, which I have loaded into Matilda (our Garmin 250).  So it's now a simple matter of searching in the satnav for sites "near here" or "near this city" and then crossreferencing back to the books for pictures and details.

I've ordered the AA/ADAC atlas.  All set to go!

Thanks again, Mike

mom - 2008-07-24 12:56 PM Thanks for that, Thai. 

We are great fans of the CC's Europe books (used them for many years in France, Italy, Spain and Portugal) - I only thought of those books as having full amenities sites so I'll take a closer look!

Yes, the AA Big Road Atlas Germany is the ADAC atlas with an AA cover and a stuck in English translation of the key.  It is big and relatively heavy, so a bit cumbersome for en-route navigation.  It is also very detailed, which can be an advantage when the detail is needed but, due to a slightly "soft" mapping style, this can make it a bit difficult to pick the wheat from the chaff.  Got ours, at a good discount, from Amazon.

The Viamichelin site is superb for planning and you can print off sections of their maps direct from their web site too - legally, as it is one of their options. :-D

We use them for detailed mapping as we can "ink in" our exact route without spoiling the big road atlas. B-)

The German National Tourist Board are offering a new campsite guide, in English, detailing over 1000 sites.

It is free from: http://germany-shop.info/webshop/overview.php?lang=eng&country=GBR

On the above website there is an online guide too, which can be accessed by different criteria. There are several different free guides to things like gardens of Germany, biking in Germany, spas as well.

This is courtesy of Grizzly from MHF.

Don

Have just ordered Camper Stop Europe book from Vicarious books (£19.99 - not as MMM - typo saying £9.99) which has details, including GPS co-ordinates for 7,200 stopovers in Europe.

Also ordered ACSI card (discount on 1,332 of the sites in their book - you only pay 10, 12 or 14 euros per night for MH + 2 + electric.) We decided not to order the ACSI DVD as we have Autoroute 2007 - if not the DVD, price £9-95, has maps and positions of all the 7,200 sites and a route planning program to get you from one site to another - even detailing which sites have toilet paper in their loos 8-)

Reckon we are now equipped to go - 4 weeks today and counting :-)

• 5 weeks later...

Hi everyone! 

Just back from Ahr, Rhine and Mosel valleys.  Thanks to your collective advice, I had the ADAC road atlas and the Reisemobile Bord Atlas for stellplatze.  The Reisemobile package also included a CD of stellplatze POIs so I loaded them into Matilda (our Garmen 250) before we left. 

Not even once did we open the actual Reisemobil books.  We simply explored a region as we wanted, and then got Matilda to deliver us to any stellplatze in the area.  FANTASTIC!  We camped in lovely little spots along the Ahr, Rhine and Mosel rivers.  Idyllic, some of them.  For us, at least, the Reisemobil suggestion was grand, and the CD worth its weight in gold.  The ADAC road atlas was great too, enabling us to quickly find viewspots and the like.

Thanks everyone!

Archived