BRITISH GAS

Mick H.

About 20 years ago friend made and installed his own solar water heating, couple of secondhand radiators painted black fitted in wooden box with glass front and placed on top of garage with termosyphon feed to tank , I think he's made his money back many times over, my one contribution was the suggestion of a swing check valve to prevent heat loss when panel was cooling.

The house I'm living in is listed in conversation area so no chance of doing it, and new bungalow has a combi boiler so would have to fit mains pressure tank to preheat water which I'm not keen on.

Guest Tracker

Maybe a DIY hot water system could be fitted inside a loft, which can get pretty hot at times, even in winter sunshine?

It is after all heat not light that heats the water?

CliveH - 2008-08-06 8:16 PM

I read a fantastic article some time ago that I will try to find again. It was using research data from NASA on how efficient their low energy equipment is that they have used for years from Apollo thro to the Orbiter and the International Space Station - which of cause tends to rely on batteries recharged by solar power.

Of course the solar power is a fair bit stronger in space but the real point that grabbed me was the conclusion that Solar power on the surface of the planet is not viable NOT because of any problem with power generation BUT the fact that all our equipment runs with such high energy usage.

The question was asked why do we need to have 240 volts and 13 amps when Nasa has equipment that does far more than our telly's, computers, radios etc etc that run on a fraction of the power our current equipment requires.

So to make solar power work there is a need for low power equipment.

The viability of the technology would then take off.

The reason we have 240v in houses is because the higher the voltage the less loss' in distribution, so as you go back up chain the voltages go up. In more compact enviroments such as cars and motorhomes we use 12v as there are short cable runs. Aside from that I wouldn't want to pay NASA prices.

Tracker - 2008-08-06 8:42 PM

Maybe a DIY hot water system could be fitted inside a loft, which can get pretty hot at times, even in winter sunshine?

It is after all heat not light that heats the water?

We have 10" of finest russian reed not much heat gets throu that, but in new bungalow when you go into loft on sunny day it's very hot.

In solar heating systems the "radiator" (collector) is not filled with water but is actually an array of "heat tubes". These are capable of "collecting" more solar energy than straight forward water. The upper ends of these heat tubes are usually inserted into a manifold where the heat is transferred to the water being pumped through the manifold.

It is in effect the opposite of how an absorption fridge works.

D.

There is a another good Forum run by Navitron

http://www.navitron.org.uk/forum/

who import Chinese vacuum tubes and flat plate solar collectors. They supply diy parts too. You may be able to buy the complete kit 20 or 30 tubes, control unit, cylinder, pump etc etc for less than £1500.

You may see some of my posts (OmidKnight) on there under Solar Data - I quite often used to post temperature readings from my system that also heated a radiator in the house as early in the year as late January.

I stopped work about 3 years ago now so not really up to date with the latest technology. There are however many on the Forum there willing to advise both pro and DIYer`s.

Having recently moved from a det. 3/4 bed bungalow with 1/4 acre plot, 2 double garages etc etc Now in a cosy new build fishermans cottage replica mid terrace with a combi boiler - so no plans for solar heating here.

Had a look at the site and find it full of good information.

I think I would prefer to have this equipment supplied and fitted rather than DIY because while I believe I could manage it I can see several problems coming up that I wouldnt want to do, it would take me too long to complete the job

Great site and thanks for that

Archived