Taken the plunge.............

avongas

spud - 2008-08-19 11:42 AM

Hi Clive,

its an 18ft. 2 berth, end kitchen, mid lounge layout. Low profile, so no bed 'up top', fixed or otherwise. shower and toilet thingy opposite the door.

2 no. swivel seats, so either 2 single beds, or move cushions across for double. Looked at the MH's with 'the lump' on top, but discounted them due to me and the missus' touch of claustrophobia.

I hope you all are noticing my use of severe Technical Jargon!!!!!!

However, whatever floats your boat, come on in - the waters fine! (at the moment!)

:-)

Hi Spud

We have the Bessacarr E410, same as the Swift except for external graphics and upholstery colours.

It should have swivel seats - ours is an orange handle on the inside edge of the seat just below the bottom level of the upholstery.

With the seats swivelled it make 2 single beds an ideal alternative to the transverse double.

Hi Flicka, yes, the seats do swivel. That was one of the reasons we liked this van.

Just managed to scrounge an empty 7kg gas cannister from Work (Contractors use site caravans) so that saved me a few bob having to buy one!

Only another 3 weeks - can't wait!

Anybody out there any info on servicing costs for Fiats? Need to put money aside for essentials.

Last service by a Fiat dealer cost me £160 Spud so could be anything up to £200 by now.

I take it your's is still under warranty so not to much choice, but my one gripe with dealer servicing is that they work strictly to the service schedule or worksheet, and unless asked, leave all other aspects of inspection unattended, whereas my local garage always goes from bumper to bumper making sure everything is as it should be.

Picking up that 7kg cannister saved you a couple of bob, but try and get another to cover when you run out of gas. This always seems to happen at the least convienient time or place so if you can manage to fit in even a small cannister this allows you to simply switch over until you can get a refilled replacement.

Thanks for the info. Howie, I now know what to budget for.

I am assuming it is still under Warranty, but this will be verified by Dealer. It comes with a 12 month guarantee on everything as well, so if I keep my fingers crossed, I should (!) be OK for a few months. As well as saving on gas cannisters, the van is taxed until July 2009, so another bonus there!

All I've got to do now is insure it - more searching the WWW.

Regarding the gas cannisters, I have my spies out searching as we speak!!

3 weeks and counting.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Tracker
The real beauty of it is that once you get established, experienced and confident you won't even need to plan UK breaks - just leave the van partly loaded - then just fill the water tank, blue the loo, bung in the bedding, sdd in some clothes and the perishable food from the fridge etc. on the day you leave - takes us about an hour - and hi ho we are off again!

Tracker - 2008-09-07 8:28 PM

The real beauty of it is that once you get established, experienced and confident you won't even need to plan UK breaks - just leave the van partly loaded - then just fill the water tank, blue the loo, bung in the bedding, sdd in some clothes and the perishable food from the fridge etc. on the day you leave - takes us about an hour - and hi ho we are off again!

Have to agree with all that and I refuse to stick to a weekly routine shopping one day something else the next stay flexible and as soon as the sun shines you can be off - this year we have managed 12 weeks away up to now without being flexible this would not have been possible. I know there are things that you have plan for like hospital appointments but unless they are things like that stay flexible and get away as much as you can. Carol.

Hi Spud

Congratulations on the imminent 'birth'! Could I suggest a name for the new nipper .. how about 'Conan'! Or if you find you prefer driving it in reverse, it could be also be known as Enoc!!!

As for accessories, don't be temped to buy stuff yet ... wait until you've had it a while and made sure you need the bits and pieces you're tempted to buy. Make do as much as possible with stuff from home to decide on exactly what you need - you'll be shocked at how much you could have spent on things that you'll not need at all. As for kitting out the 'inner space' of the van, when you know what you want, go to places like Lidl, Aldi, pound shops and charity shops and pick up bits and pieces there, a lot cheaper than buying stuff from the dealers. Car boot sales are also a very good source of gas bottles, cutlery, pots, pans etc, and cushions and curtain material to make seat covers etc if you need them, same goes for carpeting.

Enjoy!

Guest Tracker

Absolutely agree with Mel - most problems can be resolved without throwing great wads of cash at them.

That said Shows are a great place to see other people's solutions and to pick up a bargain or two from the many traders.

Not bought a lot yet, just the essentials - sleeping bags, cooking stuff for the Sous Chef. Kettle

Managed to exchange 2 Calor butane 6kg for 2 Calor Lites (thats a story in itself!). Leaving the rest until I see what's what. Got to be comfortable in our 'dotage' don't you know!

Fridays coming :-D :-D :-D

Hi Spud. Not long to wait now. Wish you all the best, Happy and carefree

Motorhoming, It is surprising the bargains that you can acquire in the Pound Shops. We kitted the caravan out, Also used Melamine plates etc,

not everyones choice, much lighter and more or less unbreakable. Dont forget a Bottle opener and can opener.and a decent gas lighter is a must, I hated matches) very difficult to light the oven with them, We also bought a set of lovely cushions for the van, Most of all enjoy, We had great holidays, and met some lovely people, Ria.

Well guys, its now sitting outside on the drive. Picked it up from Highbridge Caravans this morning. Handover couldn't have been better, everything was explained to the nth. degree. They'd even replaced the leisure battery free of charge because they 'weren't happy with the state of the original'!

They threw in a CalorLite pigtail, and half a tank of diesel.

Nearly set now, just got to give it a 'john and Sue' clean, then its off to Scotland and Ireland!!!!

Happy days are here at last!!!!!

PS, decided to call it Caroline, wifes decision!

:-D :-D

Archived