Peugeot Boxer Gear Change

william1

I have a 2003 Autosleeper Pollensa based on 2.2 P. Boxer. - 39000 miles. i am experiecing difficulty engaging 1st and 2nd. gears from standing start - I am engaging 3rd rather than 1st. - the problem appears to be getting progrssively worse. Has anyone experienced similar problems and what was the solution ?

W1

Hi William, Welcome to the forum

This is a common problem on these vehicles. I have a 2001 boxer van and had similar problem. Its lack of lubrication on the gear shift assembly and is east to fix. The selector rods are located on the top of the gear box on rear the right hand side of the engine they tend to dry out and a collect road dirt and spray when wet,and sieze up so do the following:

You will need a torch,a can of WD40 a can of spray grease a rag, and your other half in the driving seat.

Get your other half to sit in the driving seat open the bonnett shine the torch onto the right hand side of the engine and get your assistant to waggle the gear stick , you will see the selector assemble moving.

Clean around the area with your cloth then spray with WD40 while the selectors are being moved, go through the gears.

Start up and with the engine running try selecting all gears it should be smoother.

Stop engine give another does of WD 40, leave overnight and then see how it is if it has freed up the wipe around the area and spray with spray grease.

I live in a salty atmosphere so I lubricate this area every 6 months and have had no problem since. this should cure your problem.

Rergards Geoff

Archived