Spain North to South

parkmoy

Anyone driven from Oviedo down to Sevilla through Salamanca? Wondering what the roads are like etc. - in fact any info on that route would be gratefully received.

I'm going to Santander in September and want to tour the north coast but we've had such a c*ap summer here in Ireland that if it rains too much I will head south looking for sun so I'd like to be prepared (lol)

It is, as I recall, a good run with many sections of motorway, a bit boring on the long flat bits but plenty of places worth pulling off to have a look at.

The barragems ( dams/ reservoirs) usually have parking and water for an overnight stop.

Geoff

w1ntersun - 2008-08-26 8:49 AM

Superb run. Very fast free motorway nearly all the way

Richard

Is the Spanish motorway network system free the same as in the UK (ex M6 toll!). We will be travelling North to South Est side of the peninsula, spending few weeks in Andalucia before crossing the Med for Morrocco.

We will try to avoid most motorway tolls if we can avoid them. Ristricted budget and plenty of time!....

Any advises grately received....thank you all.

[Richard

Is the Spanish motorway network system free the same as in the UK (ex M6 toll!). We will be travelling North to South Est side of the peninsula, spending few weeks in Andalucia before crossing the Med for Morrocco.

We will try to avoid most motorway tolls if we can avoid them. Ristricted budget and plenty of time!....

Any advises grately received....thank you all.

The motorways are free unless they are peage! So keep a look out for the peage signs and avoid the pay booths, it can be expensive. I tell the sat nav to avoid tolls and that works fine.

Geoff

Guest aguilas389
You can travel almost the whole of Spain without having to resort to the toll roads. The "E" roads run literally alongside the toll roads in many instances, the downside especially at this time of the year (August) is that Spanish drivers use the E roads rather than pay the tolls, therefore they do become busy. We have done the trip many times from our home in Aguilas Southern Spain to the UK via Santander, St Malo, Calais and more frequently using the tunnel of late. We have travelled down the west side of Spain, the centre and even via Andora to the east. The choice is always there tolls or not and now even satnavs give you the option! just one word of warning though when using your satnav in Spain, new roads are being built and opened throughout all the autonomous regions of Spain that your satnav map is guaranteed to be out of date and cause some confusion on your journey (and remember, it is illegal in France to have your speed camera POIs active) :-)

As I look out the window at yet another cloudy, miserable, drizzling, not very warm summer's day, holiday plans have changed 8o| I am going along the coast as far as Oviedo and then definitely turning south.

I'm fed up with wondering just what that big yellow thing is that has appeared in the sky about three times since June :-( I want some of the hot (as opposed to the wet) global warming for a change!

Archived