Catalytic theft protection

rosey lee

After falling victim to the theft of our catalytic converter from our motorhome we have came up with this idea to protect our new cat.

Get a entry alarm, magnetic type (Maplin have a good one costing £9.99) and 2 pallets or similar wooden boxes, fix one part of the alarm on one box/pallet and the other part on the other box/pallet. position the boxes or pallets on your driveway and set the alarm, then just drive your motorhome over them making sure that the alarm is near to the cat. Now if any thieves want to get at the catalytic converter, they have to move the boxes thus triggering the alarm. Simple but effective.

Worth a try I guess, though you'd need to be careful to make the boxes/pallets low enough to drive the motorhome over, but not so low that the cat-thief could easily reach the noise-making part of the alarm and smack it one with his trusty lump-hammer.

I'm not sure how aware forum members are of this latest theft epidemic. I didn't know about it until I saw a warning in "Motorhome Monthly" magazine a couple of months ago. I mentioned it to the motorhome dealer I was visiting and was told that they had just had 6 or 7 catalytic converters stolen from their new forecourt stock. They hadn't been aware of the crime until they started one of the vehicles, so weren't sure when it had taken place. "Did a really neat job of removing them," said the dealer. "I'd give 'em a job in my workshop any day!"

All the local fire stations have had alarms upgraded, the cutters they use are a favourite for thiefs, if disturbed they where sometimes dropping cutter to make a quick get away then breaking into fire stations to get new one >:-(

It's something I've given consideration for next van, not so worried when parked up at home, but vulnerable elsewhere, the need to alarm before cat is cut away is not so easy whilst still being convient to park and drive off.

Archived