Biarritz to Barcelona

sailor girl

Hi. We've just started our big euro trip (currently in Newquay in the pouring rain and desperate to get out of the country!) We're planning to head down the west coast of France as far as Biarritz and then our next planned stop is around Barcelona area.

Does anyone know if it's better to go across France and then down or go down into Spain and then across? And if either of these routes are doable in one day or if it's a two-day job to go from West to East? We're after a shortish route with good roads and preferably no twisty turny high mountain roads across the pyrenees!

Thank you

liz

Its quite possible in a reasonably quick, newest van to do Biarritz or St Jean de Luz to say Valencia in a day. Its only 400miles plus which can sound a lot but the roads are very good and you can really skip along, I did it easily last Dec but I'd got to collect a hire car the next day for the Xmas period and didn't have any choice. I would ordinarily have taken 2 days, its really an easy day and a half. I did meet a man who had driven from St Malo to St Jean de Luz in a day which is going some.

I'm pretty sure that it would have taken longer to cross France you need to check the mileage for the various alternative routes. The road up from the Spanish border to Pamplona the N121A was being widened and maybe is complete by now which means very good roads all the way and the tolls are not dear.

Hi, Brian

Thats 63.5 mph constant, is the road that good ? and what is your normal cruising speed

Brian Kirby - 2008-09-01 8:23 PM

Biarritz - Barcelona = 381 miles via Pamplona, Saragossa and Lleida. 6 hours driving approx.  Looks OK to me, let us know how you get on!

We do Biarritz to our house in Valencia, 642km (401miles) in about eight or nine hours. That includes one half hour and a one hour stop.

We tend to drive about 90-95kph.

Of course there is no traffic in Spain and I can't recall one set of traffic lights on the whole journey!!

Archived