Autosleeper Symbol

mirage

I notice that the Symbol's single-glazing wasn't specifically mentioned when Dave Hurrell commented on the model in October 2007's MMM, though he did mention that the vehicle was built on a Peugeot Boxer 'window van'.

I would think that, in high humidity weather conditions, the result will be inevitable, with rivers of condensation running down the window glass, especially if the full-size cooker's capabilities are being exploited (best to go for the optional extractor fan, I think!) Perhaps Auto-Sleepers will offer an exterior cover that not only insulates the windscreen but wraps right round the Symbol at window level.

Looks sleek though, when compared to (say) the Autocruise Pace.

We had a Trooper based on a VW transporter which also had single glass windows all round. Yes, you get some condensation on the side and back windows but it's very minor, certainly not enough to cause running. However, the windscreen did suffer, not sure why this was so much worse, perhaps the angle, but that was our experience.

Richard

• 1 month later...
We have had a new Symbol since July. We spent 6 weeks away in France with no misting at all, followed by a week in Sussex from August till end of September so we did have some cool nights. We have just returned from a week away in it during which we had a couple of frosty nights. There was only a slight misting in the morning which cleared very quickly on it's own. Not what I would call wet. The windsreen as usual was wringing wet. I also cooked using a pressure cooker as well as pans and had no problems. There was a small amount of mist whilst the pressure cooker was steaming which again cleared on it's own very quickly. The van is definately warmer and less draughty than the previous model despite glass windows.

Despite using insulating 'screens', Remis concertina blinds and a thick curtain, overnight in cold and/or damp weather a fair amount of condensation forms on the inside of my Hobby's sloped windscreen and on the cab vertical side-windows, though the double-glazed Polyplastic windows in the 'caravan' area usually remain pretty much clear. However, it perhaps needs saying that we don't normally have any heating running overnight.

It would be interesting to know whether this is also the case for Ness and Slim, or whether the interior of their Symbols is kept well heated. I could understand condensation being held at bay on single-glazed glass windows if the motorhome were hot inside (just like in a house), otherwise I'd expect heavy condensation to form.

I will try to answer best I can. We have previously owned 4 coachbuilts,and have "downsized"

France, September with Symbol as supplied, Concertina blinds to side 3M™ Scotchtint athermic single glazed windows. Lined curtains to the rear windows. Cab area has lined curtains. No heat on at night.

Warmish nights gave mild condensation to Cab area but NO condensation on Scotchtint athermic side or rear windows.

Colder nights around Calais, Running condensation on all cab windows, but NON on athermic side or rear windows. With blinds and curtains open, cooking produced bad condensation on screen, but minimal on the athermic windows, which cleared quickly by itself. Not so in the cab area.

These single glazed windows certainly seem to work. We probably will not use the vechicle for sleeping in deepest winter, so cannot report.

By the way, we have got used to being tidier and find we have ample room to lounge and move about. We also have a vehicle for daily use if we wish.

Bob (slim) :-D

Archived