Tell us what you miss

michele

And I bet half the time we didn't really know what was going on on the screen .... we just felt grown up being there on our own with friends. And the highlight of that period for me ..... travelling to Liverpool and going to the THEATRE...... to see Roy Rogers and his horse, Trigger . The REAL Trigger, of course, doing the rounds of the theatres.

Does anybody remember "Quatermass and the pit" shown on BBC in B&W around 1958. I was about 11 or 12 at the time and it used to frighten the life out of me. I think there was a programme on the radio called "Lost in Space" that used to have the same effect.

Flash Gordon at the Saturday morning flicks was great. Special effects left a bit to be desired though. I swear you could see the strings on the space rocket and the smoke that came out of the back used to go upwards. Probably used a sparkler. :-D

Happy days with no bills or anything else to worry about. I'm beginning to sound like my dad.

John H - 2008-09-09 12:09 PM

Flash Gordon at the Saturday morning flicks was great. Special effects left a bit to be desired though. I swear you could see the strings on the space rocket and the smoke that came out of the back used to go upwards. Probably used a sparkler. :-D

...and when the mud men stood still against the wall our heroes could not see them but we could - including the zippers in their dark (mud coloured?) suits!

Bob

I miss:

Comedy that flowed from talent and ability and was not reliant on profanity or blasphemy.

Common sense from officialdom.

Being able to do minor electrical repairs in my own house without the nanny state branding me a criminal.

A time when Government Ministers would take the honourable course and resign when their departments fouled-up.

Driving on empty roads as a matter of routine.

Taking a (rare) bus ride to the Pier Head, taking the "Royal Daffodil" (ferry) (she was not always on the route and therefore a bit special) to New Brighton Pier, spending the day in New Brighton, buying a portion of chips, having fun in the fair and returning to my Nan's house with change from a Florin (2 shillings/10 new pence).

Bob

Going on my first camping holiday in 1964 with wife and 2 year old son for a fortnight in Switzerland. Travelled in a Heinkle/Trojan Bubble car.

The total cost was less than £60 and this included a day up the Jungfrau using the rack railway from Grindlewald and with a meal at the top.

The banks had to enter the amount of money you were taking with you in your passport in those days.

I think travelling in a bubble car these days would turn me into a nervous wreck. Although there are still a few clubs for them about.

JohnP has reminded me of our first continental camping trips in the 60's which we used to book through the RAC ( ferries only ).

I recall they used to send us a sticker of continental road signs which we had to stick on the inside of the windscreen, as their signs were a lot different to ours.

...and as you could always fix your own cars in those days we had an assortment of spare parts in a box.

:-|

Bob, were you brought up in the North West then?

I still remember the SMELL of those ferries as you were boarding them, walking over the open planks and seeing the choppy water beneath you ... 8-)

I miss just going to the doctor's surgery if you really need to without having to wait a week for an appointment and being given a lollipop cos it didn't matter if it rots yer teeth.

John H - 2008-09-09 12:09 PM

Does anybody remember "Quatermass and the pit" shown on BBC in B&W around 1958. I was about 11 or 12 at the time and it used to frighten the life out of me. I think there was a programme on the radio called "Lost in Space" that used to have the same effect.

Happy days with no bills or anything else to worry about. I'm beginning to sound like my dad.

Hi John H

I had a good laugh when I read your thread on Quatermass I remembered that I went to The Pictures as it was known then to see what was the first "X " film Quatermass Experiment I was only 15 at the time and you had to be 16 to see an X film so I light a cigarete stuck it in the corner of my mouth and spoke in my best gruff voice " one please " are you sure you are 16 nearly chocked on the fag and said course and I got in.

When I think what they are putting on now its like watching Andy Pandy now.

Also sign of getting old ( or got ) remembered all that but can not remeber much about yesterday (lol) (lol) (lol)

Terry

Terry, there's nowt wrong with your memory if you can remember your internet name!!!!! *-) :-D

PS On This Morning someone is complaining there are 33 children in her child's class. Do you remember our classes? We had 52! And we all mixed well with each other despite the differences in intellect. Now the teachers then DID have something to complain about!

Miss playing knock down ginger better still tying a string to peoples doors pulling one end and knocking the lot oh we were buggars I 'd kill my kids if they done that now .I coulnt run for laughing wet me kecks nearly boy it was funny to see them all come out together :D

Chapping people door and clearing the snow away for 5p so we could go buy sweets like rosie apples or a packet of plain with the salt bag inside .

Most of all I guess i miss the memories and the fact that my kids never got to do any of it just to be foot loose and fancy free really sad .

ROON - 2008-09-10 6:59 PM

I still remember the SMELL of those ferries as you were boarding them, walking over the open planks and seeing the choppy water beneath you ... 8-)

Joy, moved around a lot but had few spells in the region and used to visit and stay at Nan's in Liverpool. Best time was 2 years on the Wirral commuting everyday by Ferry. I recall they went in all weathers and I remember it being so wild one day the gangway was rising and falling several feet a minute - two teams of 2 ferry boatmen where physically catching passengers as they fell up or down the gangway! No health and safety police those days. Wonderful boats and you are right about the smell a strange mixture of diesel, paint, people, wood and the sea.

Bob

Archived