Diesel re-mapping/chipping

degsy

We have a three year old Murvi Morello on a 2.3 JTD Fiat Ducato, and it seems to me to be slightly underpowered. We have had it from new and done many thousands of miles with no problems at all but it does struggle a bit on the hills, particularly when fully laden. So I am considering getting the engine re-mapped or re-chipped.

I have had a look on the internet and, like most things, the are many variations on the theme, so I am not that much the wiser. I don't think I'm looking for a box of tricks to plug into the engine control unit, more a remap or rechip of the ECU itself. But I suppose I really don't know enough to be able make that judgement.

Have any of you who have had your motorhomes re-chipped/mapped any thoughts or suggestions ? Presumably, from the all benefits accruing that I read, it must be worth it, if not financially then from an improved/more pleasant drive, but then maybe not.

If anyone has any thoughts or recommendations on this I would be grateful.

Had my Renault Master re-mapped by TB Turbo in Lancaster and would thoroughly recommend them. They are one of the few that do this that are experienced with motorhomes and that also have a rolling road.

Typically they will increase both torque and power (HP) by around 20% to 25%. The key benefit is not having to change down a couple of gears all the time on hills. Most people don't get any mpg improvement and I certainly haven't - but I was getting over 31 mpg before by driving gently. I did it for the flexibility.

Mel E

====

I have a Fiat Ducato 2 litre and that was a little underpowered on some long inclines. I fitted a second hand chip i bought through ebay and it made alot of difference to mid power range. It's brilliant. No noticable fuel difference. i would have thought that the 2.3 would have plenty grunt without chipping...Mine is a PSI chip originally grom East Coast Racing.

Thanks for your comments. As suggested I've had a look at the previous threads on this subject and as far as I can judge most people who have had it done see a noticable improvement in the performance/fuel consumption of their m/h's. So I think I'll go ahead.

Thanks again.

Hi Adria, I don't know which area you are in but a friend of mine phoned tonight from another site who gave me the following for you to phone and get an estimate.

Response Chips

Unit 4 Dragonville Industrial Park

Dragon Lane

Durham

DH1 2XJ

Tel: 0191 386 3422

Even if it isn't local I am sure they will be able to give you some idea of price.

Joy

Archived