Tom Tom

dikyenfo

I have used HOME on TT without problem since March but now the exe. file wont run and therefore cannot update anything. Have Vista and paid for AVG but the actionsync mod they suggested did not work . TT only suggest dumping everything and starting again but am not sure that everything would go backas before and there is no guarantee that it would run after doing all that. Has anyone else got this problem or know how to fix it apart from waiting until the AVG expires and using another protection company.

I've had several problems running AVG so have uninstalled it completely and run different anti virus and spyware now. I now use Avast as a free one and McAffee on the main one. I have heard of others having problems with AVG particularly when used in conjunction with Vista, never mind Vista is being replaced shortly!!! :-S :-S :-S

Bas

I use both Vista and XP with TomTom Home and have no problems whatsoever. I do use AVG on both computers but it is AVG Free not the paid for version and again no problems regarding viruses etc.

As far as Vista being replaced this happens with Windows approximately every 5 years and it is not unusual and should be expected, they will continue to support Vista as they have supported previous versions of Windows for limited periods.

My TT One XL worked fine for a couple of months then stopped linking with my computer (XP Service Pack 3) and I have not been able to update it for two months now. TT Help via email has failed to cure it - they suggested various "fixes" but nothing has worked. Looks like I will have to return it to Halfords.

Bob

I am very suspicious about the windows updates. I had problems where limewire and TT home did not work. With XP you can System Restore to an earlier date. This I did and all worked again. The only thing that occurred since that date was an automatic update of windows. I have now turned off automatic updates

A couple of months ago there was a Windows Security Update that played havoc with the computers but once this was known AVG, Zone Alarm and others put a patch in place to work round the problem, since then there have not been any problems as far as I am aware. It may be advisable to run a complete scan of your computer, not just the files, to see if anything is amiss. Do you have a anti-spyware program? If not I use Spybot - Search and Destroy - its free and I have been using it now for nearly 10 years and never had a problem with viruses and the new version runs in the background as you use the computer and pops up when there is a change. Occasionally I also use the free Ad-Aware just to see if Spybot is doing its job.

Have now dumped AVG and gone to A rated PC security shield which lets me use the windows firewall instead of AVG one and when I have tried it will report back to see if it will let me run TThome2 which I have installed from hard drive -web site uninstalled until i'm sick of trying. Hopefull thic will cure it.

The d/l of Shield deluxe 2008 has worked a treat and TT is now fully loaded again.I did get notice of a map update for 19 pounds now then 9.99 per quarter for 1 year for a total of 59 pounds. Really I dont need new Europe maps until next April when the next 3month treck takes place.What does anyone think about the offer and the alternatives.

Randonneur - 2008-09-24 8:52 AM

As far as Vista being replaced this happens with Windows approximately every 5 years and it is not unusual and should be expected, they will continue to support Vista as they have supported previous versions of Windows for limited periods.

Yes this is very true but as far as support is concerned after replacement don't forget that XP was not going to be supported after June until they realised that Vista would'nt work with the latest 'Ultra Mobile' PC's so they agreed to support XP for longer.

Now to many XP is probably still their most up to date system and wouldn't neccessarily change to Vista let alone the next over inflated offering!

Bas

Usinmyknaus - 2008-09-24 10:08 AM

My TT One XL worked fine for a couple of months then stopped linking with my computer (XP Service Pack 3) and I have not been able to update it for two months now. TT Help via email has failed to cure it - they suggested various "fixes" but nothing has worked. Looks like I will have to return it to Halfords.

Bob

I have recently been having trouble with TT Home (getting error messages when trying to update mapshare corrections) and received email from TT saying a new TT Home release is scheduled for this week so will try again.

However, interested in your statement about XP Service Pack 3 - didn't know there was a Pack 3, I've only got Pack 2.

Sorry to jump on guys but you all seem expert inthis area so wonder if i coud just ask.

I need a new sat/nav. I want a tomtom. I have seen a deal for a tom tom1 with europe cover (which is why i wat one) can anyone tell me if I would be able to upload all the aires on to it? It does not seem to have a lot of memory space and also says the memory is non removable. I know very little about satnav (only work 3 miles from home and have a garmin i3)

any help would be greatly received.

panagah - 2008-09-24 10:46 PM

Sorry to jump on guys but you all seem expert inthis area so wonder if i coud just ask.

I need a new sat/nav. I want a tomtom. I have seen a deal for a tom tom1 with europe cover (which is why i wat one) can anyone tell me if I would be able to upload all the aires on to it? It does not seem to have a lot of memory space and also says the memory is non removable. I know very little about satnav (only work 3 miles from home and have a garmin i3)

We have a TomTom One XL Europe bought last Christmas and we have had no problems at all with it. We can download all the aires, restaurants etc., whatever you want. We don't use the TomTom safety camera database, we use the one from www.pocketgpsworld.com. We went for the XL because of the wide screen. It is easy to put in a pocket if you are out and about walking and will still work. I would recommend this unit to anyone.

Randonneur - 2008-09-25 8:10 AM

panagah - 2008-09-24 10:46 PM

We have a TomTom One XL Europe bought last Christmas and we have had no problems at all with it. We can download all the aires, restaurants etc., whatever you want. We don't use the TomTom safety camera database, we use the one from www.pocketgpsworld.com. We went for the XL because of the wide screen. It is easy to put in a pocket if you are out and about walking and will still work. I would recommend this unit to anyone.

thankyou

I am interested in Randonneur's comments about downloading to the TomTom One XL Europe. I, too, have one but cannot download further data to it because its 1Gb memopry is just about full. So, I bought a 2GB SD card and tried downloading updates but all that happens is that the TomTom device freezes on the opening logo. The device only works again if I remove the SD card. What is the procedure for using an SD card? Do I have to transfer everything (data AND operating system) to the SD card and clear everything from The TomTom so that it runs solely from the SD card? Or do I have to transfer just certain files, if so, which ones? Or what?

Archived