Digitial Satellite kit [Maplins]

Mike Culver

Guest Mike Culver
In our lolcal Maplins, Milton Keynes, they have on offer a complete satellite kit, it looks like an all singing, all dancing system for £79.99p. it has the dish/box and LNB whatever that is, it says no subs,no cards no hassle, I know that a lots of us use Maplins, has anybody else seen this ? its sounds very reasonable, would it be any use when taken on to the continient? Any advice would help, is it" a you pays your money and takes your chance" Thanks in advance, be lucky Mike Culver.

Guest Dave Newell
Hi Mike, Yes I've seen the kit you mention and it is good value for money but you won't receive any SKY encripted channels with it. The receiver can handle thousands of channels but spread over many different satellites in the sky, you just re-align the dish as required (a motorised positioner system is available as well). To receive SKY encrypted channels (I beleive this also includes ITV, Channel 4, Channel 5.) you need a sky digibox. All the BBC channels are available without a viewing card and I would expect the receiver you have seen will get those. So if you can manage with only the BBC, shopping channels, God Squad and Al Jazeera along with a hundred or so radio channels plus whatever else you can receive from other satellites (there are some english speaking channels along with channels from almost every European country out there) then yes it's great value. if however you need SKY, ITV, Channelss 4 or 5 then it's not so great. www.davenewell.co.uk

hi mike, as of nov 1st all itv channels are supposed to be available on free to air,so go for it if you don't need sky.you may have noticed my comments in previous threads.cheap systems do work.

Guest Dave Newell
I bow to Barrie's superior knowledge on what channels are available, I use Freeview rather than Freesat and what is actually available up there seems to be constantly changing. Regards Dave www.davenewell.co.uk

On the subject of sat tv I was unable to pick up the satelite a couple of weeks ago while away.I tried over a fairly large area although Ive never had a problem in the past. I do have a sat finder which I used hundreds of times before with no problem. Daft question I suppose but is the satelite always in the same position throughout the year.I was in open fields with no trees in line on both occasions. Just couldn't lock onto the usual network ID or transport stream but showed a good signal!!

Archived