Hymer Exsis Owners

mike warland

Having spoken to a few Exsis owners recently I wondered if it was worth perhaps creating a list of owners so that we could pass information or questions around. We may have tips to pass on or just want to communicate with other lucky owners. If you are interested please let me know.

Guest JudgeMental

Is this the new small A class based on the Ford chassis you are talking about? If so I hope to see one at the NEC. I have been put of a bit by the small fridge, aluminium shell (I prefer GRP) and lack of winterisation. But still want to see one as there seems nothing else comparable. I particularly like the twin rear bed model the EXSIS-i 562 as it manages this within a 6.7 M length.

http://www.hymer.ag/medien/pdf/1220002484-GB_Integriert.pdf

your comments on ownership would be welcome :-D

I should have been a little more specific this is the old model 2004 to 2006 which is 5.45 metres long has a roof bed and is based on the Fiat. The level of winterisation on this model is very high fresh and waste water tanks in board, good levels of insulation, sold in small numbers in the UK I think because of the high new price, but there are some reasonable second hand buys around look at Brownhills and Deepcar (left hookers only here)

I don't know too much about the new Exsis, but it is totally different to the old one.

Mrs SIB would love to join your group. She is sick for a Fiat Exis but I'm afraid its just a little too big for my driveway and although I agree with her I'll just have to stick with my little VW......hence my forum handle.

Good luck :'(

• 2 weeks later...
mike warland - 2008-10-06 11:23 AM

>>I wondered if it was worth perhaps creating a list of owners...<<

I think it is worth it. I'm hoping to set up a website dedicated to all things Exsis, so that this fab van doesn't get forgotten. I've been thinking of doing this for a long time but now many of the domain names have been snapped up. Still, I've managed to get www.exsis.biz and will try and get something on it soon (initially just easy stuff like tech specs, pics, reviews...but then other peoples photos and hints 'n tips etc). Any ideas on this front welcome...

We've only ever seen a couple on the road (accompanied by frantic waving as we were so pleased to see another :-D ). And on just one occasion have we been lucky enough to be on a campsite with a silver Exsis owned by a very friendly Dutch couple. Looking round their van prompted us to install a SOG on the loo and an extra lock on the caravan door.

We have an '05 Exsis SG in white and at the mo' can't see any reason to change it (despite numerous problems at the start...but that's another story!!). The windscreen sprung a leak recently but we've had it resealed. Aside from that it's (touch wood) been trouble free motoring.

How Hymer can call the latest model an Exis is beyond me. It's nothing like the old one in any way and nowhere as good. In actual fact it's rubbish in comparison. We would have loved the previous one, but it was too expensive. So we got a Rapido instead. But....still think the old Exis is a cracking van, if your'e fit ebough to get into the bed. :D

• 3 weeks later...

I am just in the process of completing the purchase of one of these from Brownhills at Swindon. We had been looking for a 'tardis'. Had three motorhomes in the past and were not enamoured of making up beds every night because we like to keep on the move. So we were looking at fixed bed models, but we wanted a smallish van (seemed an impossible task). Invariably, decent fixed bed models are either in very big vans or they cause a cramped situation in smaller ones. We had looked at Adria Twin and similar van conversions. (Cramped and possibly cold in winter). We had looked at La Strada models with pull-down beds, but headroom under was ridiculous. Back to coachbuilts we were currently looking at Rapido 741 and 742 (a tad too long at 20'-6") or 709 F (cramped and no oven or grill with only two gas burners).

We walked into Brownhills last Saturday after returning from Portsmouth (covered a lot of mileage in this search!) to look at a nice little 709F having reluctantly dismissed it from our possibilities. Then we spotted this Exsis and fell for it. It ticked all the boxes. Compact with a brilliant pull-down bed and everything else we wanted. It had only come in that day. It was priced at £29,995.00. This seemed a ridiculous price for a 2004 model with 48K miles on the clock and was out of our budget range anyway. So we thought we would try bargaining and settled on £25K. Brownhills seem to have this ridiculous sales policy of overpricing dramatically and expecting to be knocked down (Anyone else experienced this?). We still feel that we have paid over the odds for the mileage, but it is just what we were looking for so what the heck. I will report back when I have used it a bit and, yes, I approve of an owner's forum.

For those who are interested this was owned by a photographer and journalist who writes motorhome reviews. His website (www.featuresandphotos.com) gave us a splendid insight into the van because he has reviewed it with photographs on there. It is worth a look for anyone who is interested.

Guest JudgeMental
There are lots for sale over on German mobile.de site. If its any consolation the prices are similar :-D But before negotiations so probably would work out cheaper as more available.

• 1 month later...
peterd13 - 2008-11-17 12:14 PM

For those who are interested this was owned by a photographer and journalist who writes motorhome reviews. His website (www.featuresandphotos.com) gave us a splendid insight into the van because he has reviewed it with photographs on there. It is worth a look for anyone who is interested.

I'm sure it was him who we bumped into outside another motorhome dealer the week after we'd ordered our Exsis (I seem to have an uncontrollable urge to accost and interrogate other Exsis owners whenever I see one stationary...). After extolling the virtues of the Exsis, the lady in the passenger seat said how good it was to see 'young' people getting into motorhoming...hmmm, maybe I should extol the virtue of anti-aging creams...

On a different note...

We had another leak recently. This time coming through the mains hook-up surround and going into the cupboard below the sink. We've had it resealed and all seems well, if the damp meter is anything to go by...

• 2 weeks later...

Great idea! We have owned 2 Exsis Motorhomes, the first was one of the first RHDs released in the uk. You may have read about it in MMM. We had it for 2 years then replaced it with the SG model in 2006, which we still have.

We have done many trips of 2 month duration mainly winter skiing, autumn fishing, chilling out in france,spain and recently the Algarve.

We've looked at other motorhomes but nothing comes near its size and comfort.

Lots of information for you when your web site is up and running.

Good luck.

Tom, Carol and Tres Joli

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

We've just bought an 04 low mileage RHD Exsis from Marquis and love it - now that we've developed the necessary acrobatic skills to get out of bed! I guess the reason that Hymer ditched the design is that this put a lot of people off. My only real problem so far is the manual - it's very generic and many of the multi-option pages (eg boiler, control panel) don't actually cover the Exsis fittings at all. I've searched online without success for something a bit more specific, but does anyone else know where I could find an Exsis manual, or at least one that covers the Exsis options? I know that we do have the correct manual because our vehicle's details are printed at the front.

Would be delighted to see exsis page! Very pleased with the little ice-cream van beast: very well designed imo. Mine is an 04 automatic - never seen another auto version...

Winterisation is excellent: great for skiing trips in Scotland at this time of year.

• 2 weeks later...

Would really appreciate a dedicated Exsis site. Brilliant little van, just like a tardis. Takes us everywhere in economic comfort and style. Love it. Have added air ride suspension as I carry a scooter on the back and it completely transformed it, feels like an estate car now. Modded it in a few other ways to suit us and would love to know what others have done as well.

Bring on the website please

Archived