`Parking in shropshire

HWO

Hi all

Off in a couple of weeks time to Oxen Hall campsite near Shrewsbury,taking advantage of last months 3 for 2 in MMM. Near to Shrewsbury there are some Forestry Commission Mountain bike trails at a place called Eastridge Woods. Looking at the OS map the road looks very minor with steep hill chervons on it. My question is, is the road do-able in a biggish motorhome and is the carpark friendly to us

If I have got the locations right the trails are just above the village of Snailbeach. If that is the case you may be able to park in the village hall car park.

Co-ords taken from Google Earth are 52 36 51 53n and 2 55 37 54w. (hope these are correct)

I wouldn't recommend going any higher up the hill in your van except

there is a lead mine/musuem nearby and there may be parking there as well.

Access to that point should not be a problem as the village is on a bus route and I'm fairly certain that a local coach company had a depot in the village.

Not often I can be useful in this forum but as I can see Eastwood from this room this time I might be!

Both car parks for Eastwood Ridge are along very narrow lanes. If you don't fancy these then my recommendation would be to park in Minsterley. I wouldn't park in the main part of the village but the road out, leading towards Bishops Castle, is wide with no restrictions. The village hall also has a large car park and I wouldn't anticipate any problem with you parking there.

To get to Eastwood Ridge from Minsterley turn by the Crown and Sceptre pub (Callow Lane - you might even be able to park there as the road is quite wide to start with). After 1.3 miles you'll come to a track on the right leading into the woods and cycle tracks. This is the back way in, I don't think it's signed and is mostly used by locals. Uphill from Minsterley I'm afraid. One of the car parks is along here and the road is fairly wide until you pass the old quarry, then it becomes a bit tricky for large motorhomes - narrow with overhanging trees.

The official car park nearest Habberley (that's the one with the cycle sign on the OS maps) would be difficult in a large motorhome. The road to the village isn't too bad but parking there isn't really on. The lane from the village to the car park is very narrow with a tight right turn thrown in.

Snailbeach and Stiperstones village are worth a visit, particularly the pub and shop at the latter. Snailbeach has plenty of car parking and you can cycle up the road to Lordshill then via a track and footpath towards Maddox Hill and Eastwood. I've walked this way, you may have to lift the bikes over a couple of styles but should be OK and little used.

If you tire of Eastwood go to the Bog Visitor Centre and park there (have a cup of tea and lump of home-made cake!) Some of the tracks from the large car park there are interesting for off-roading if you are fit enough and competent enough. There's also a very nice CL a short distance away (Lilac House). Again the direct route from Minsterley to The Bog is narrow in places but do-able. Alternatively use the A.488 towards Bishops Castle turning left at Shelve crossroads.

All the car parks are free with no restrictions on motorhomes except for over-nighting (and I don't think anyone bothers much about that either).

Hope this is of some help, anything further feel free to ask.

Thanks folks for the time and effort your have put in, really useful, The carpark at the village hall at Snailbeach looks to be my best bet. Looking forword to being on the road again, I have been confinded to barracks by the co-pilot for 6 weeks on decorating duties .

Archived