VW T5 Fuel consumption, your reports please.

Rod_vw

I have a 2007 LWB VW T5 2.5tdi (174bhp) with 6 speed manual gearbox which I have converted to a camper. It has a Reimo Ergoline high top and is fitted 'VW Fashion' units / work surface down the right side Reimo Variotech seat / bed occupying the remainder.

I measure tank full to tank full continuously and record all fuel usage against miles travelled. To date (13,000 miles) in a combination of holiday and day to day motoring I am struggling to reach 30mpg over all. :'(

As a yardstick, my past two VW T4s, both 2.5tdi (102bhp) built to more or less the same spec as the T5 have easily returned 33mpg. All vehicles have had the same drivers and same usage.

My question to owners of similarly equipped Volkswagen T5s is.

What MPG are you getting?

Your input would be appreciated.

Rod

Hi Rod,I have a VW T5 LWB 1.9 104, 2006 with a Polyroof hightop,as long as I keep the speed around 70 mph it will return about 40 on a trip,I live in Yorkshire and on a visit to the old East Germany I filled up at home and got to Capellan in Luxemburg before I filled again,530 ish miles without the fuel light appearing, with Your 174 bph T5 could it be Your right foot thats the prob?cheers,Gerry.

Hi Gerry,

Sounds as if you are getting the same results as I was with the T4s. I'd be tempted to agree about the right foot but I've tried driving with the lightest throttle possible and still not getting much improvement.

By the way, any chance of a picture or two if the Polyroof, you can email them direct if you are willing. I gather that's what VW are using for the high top California in Germany, they seem reluctant to admit that such a thing exists over here! Maybe the design study on a LWB that they exhibited last year will be produced soon?

I have a Mar 07 174ps auto California, currently 10700 miles on the clock. Fuel is measured as accurately as possible, fill-up to fill-up.

Even though I have seen up to 37mpg displayed on the dash instruments for a long run, the overall calculated consumption is 28mpg. I can only assume that short journeys 10 miles or less are having a disproportionate impact. The auto seems to be sensitive to air temperature. The highest mpg figures have been on long journeys with above 20degC temps.

I guess 30mpg with high roof and manual trans. is not too bad !!?? :-D

Hi Rod,

Yes LWB High top 2.5 TDI 174 ps. The tiptronic does a little less 28 MPG.

A little bit of fine tuning can improve fuel con' , but fine tuning the old right foot works very well. By the way check your intercooler is clean.

Regards,

Brendan

:-D :-D I have a 2004 VW T5 174 BHP Caravelle and I get around 40/45 mph depending how I use the right pedal.

The vehicle is very comfortable and I can do a 750 mile trip without too much trouble.

I have a stand alone awning which I attach to the side of the van for camping purposes...it's a kind of a cross between tent camping and caravaning without all the hassle.

My only concern is the reliability or should I say lack of it.

The Van has covered 40,000 miles and I have had to replace both rear spring suspensions units and a defective water pump.

Any thoughts from other owners would be appreciated....

Regards

:-D Smithy :-D

Smithy,

It's interesting to hear your comments about rear springs. This was a weakness of the T4 range, I had to replace both on my 1999 T4 and I know of many more owners who have had similar breakages. Perhaps VW have not learned from past weaknesses.

Anyone else had this problem on a T5?

:-D Hi Rod,

Thanks for the reply.

This defect caused me a lot of concern because I do not over load the vehicle or drive over speed bumps fast...I examined both the springs and they had broken near to the top where it is attached to the Van...I showed the springs to some engineering friends of mine and they were amazed that V.W. are still using untapered springs on their vehicles...apparently the Japanese have been using tapered springs for a long time with no defects.

What was of more concern to me was the defective water pump which can only be repaired at a V.W. garage due to a special tool being required..

Oh well....such is life...nothing is 100% reliable...except Japanese vehicles of course...

Regards

:-D Smithy :-D

Archived