Burstner A Class

aljen

Hi

Elegance 681 2005

I have been having problems with the starter battery losing charge. I normally run it every weekend just to keep it topped up, but lately it has been reluctant to start without hooking up the charger. I find it hard to actually check the acid level due to restricted access. It loos like i will have to renew the battery, but how in gods name do you get it out of its location, let alone install another one. Has anyone any experience of fitting a battery to an A class? Any help greatly appreciated

Alan

The battery should not fail after 3 years.  As it has, I'd suspect the next one will do likewise, unless you find out why this one has failed.  If you have an alarm, and a cab radio, these will draw current from the starter battery, as will some parts of the vehicle's electronics.  These will gradually flatten the battery unless it is on a maintenance charge.  Most Burstners provide this facility automatically via the habitation battery charger, so if you can leave your van on hook-up when not in use the starter battery will remain in good condition and fully charged.  Starter batteries do not respond well to slow, deep, discharges: it is the opposite of what they designed for.

If you can't keep the van on hook-up- you may be well advised to disconnect the starter battery, or install an isolator, so that there is no current draw from it.  You'll then need to input your radio code before that will work, and the engine may drive a bit oddly for the first few miles after starting, but the battery should survive.

A more convenient, though expensive, alternative may be a solar panel connected to charge the starter battery only - but only if your van is stored in the open.

Hi,

Have you tried using a Small mirror (telescopic arm) and a torch to check the acid levels ?. Check, with a meter to see what is pulling power when the ignition is switched off?. If your radio is wired to the vehicle's battery, consider rewiring it to the leisure battery via a handy placed switch on the dash and/or fit a "Battery master" (WWW.vanbitz.com).

This is a bit of fit and forget kit, will automatically keep your starter battery topped up should it drop half a volt below that of the leisure battery. It also works without being on hook up and will never take power from the vehicles battery.

Em.

hi Brian

I am checking if anything is likely to be drawing power when standing, the radio and satnav have an isolator switch fitted so should be ok, i am also working my way through anything else, but im not too experienced in electrical matters. I have had charging problems with the leisure batteries and it was found that the charging unit had failed after 2 years, so i had to have another charging unit fitted,only after giving the company hassle after they had just given the habitation service and they obviously didnt check the charging side or they would have spotted the problem. this unit is now fitted alongside the disconnected standard unit. would the 2 things be related? i will keep looking and hopefully i will find something

thanks

alan

Hi Alan.

I have a 2003 i660 and the Burstner instruction book states that the radio is wired through the leisure battery so as not to drain the vehicle battery.

I had trouble with the leisure battery, in that it hadn't much water in it, and had supposedly had a habitation check before I took delivery a couple of weeks previously. The dealer supplied a new battery. But this got me thinking about the vehicle battery levels, as this is even harder to get at. I used a small mirror to view the sight glass and this showed green,and at the moment it is holding a charge OK. I have made enquiries at Burstner dealers and have been told that to remove the battery you have to unbolt the power steering reservoir, after first removing the cap and covering with plastic and screwing cap on again, to minimise the risk of leakage, then lower out of the way. Disconnect the battery leads and unbolt holding brackets, place a strap around the battery, with assistance, pull the battery, using the strap and guide it out. They did say, it's a bit tight and watch your knuckles. Hope this helps. Mike H.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Brian

Got another battery fitted, Varta, 110amp, 830 cranking rating. started first time, hope it stays that way for a while, but i will have to keep checking it. the charging unit fitted is a reich unit. does anyone know where i can get details for this. iv tried a search and cannot find if there is any number i should be looking for, not even finding anything remotely looking like the one fitted

Alan

Archived