Aires

arzangees

Hi everyone,

Have read in CCmagazine that there are still problems at aires in France. My Query is, do es anyone know whether these mean the ones on Motorways or the ones in towns.My reason for asking is that last winter we stopped at campsites on our way to Spain, but his year thought we'd use town aires as others we met while away gave them their seal of approval. Any help would be received gratefully.

arzangees - 2008-10-27 8:37 PM

Hi everyone,

Have read in CCmagazine that there are still problems at aires in France. My Query is, do es anyone know whether these mean the ones on Motorways or the ones in towns.My reason for asking is that last winter we stopped at campsites on our way to Spain, but his year thought we'd use town aires as others we met while away gave them their seal of approval. Any help would be received gratefully.

I haven't seen the article that you mention but I would think that they refer to motorway aires, where theives etc can make a quick getaway.

The aires in villages are often like small communities somtimes surrounded by, or close to, houses, and don't give the 'baddies' the same sort of hit and run oppurtunities.

:-|

I mentioned this in an earlier thread. See:

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=13260&posts=11

For those who aren't CC members, I'll quote the Club's comment.

"AIRES WARNING

Once again we have been advised by members that thefts and attempted break-ins are still occurring on 'Aires' in France. The Club has always advised members not to use 'Aires' for overnight accommodation but to stay on a proper campsite. 'Aires' should only be used for short rest stops."

This is really no-brainer advice - if security overnight is of paramount concern then it plainly makes sense to stay on campsites. I believe most motorcaravanners who regularly use French aires for overnighting (which includes me) would agree that autoroute service areas are definitely to be avoided, but there's no guarantee one will be 100% 'safe' on every aire elsewhere. Unless you are totally impervious to risk, each potential stopping place should be assessed before bedding-down and, if you don't like the look of it, then you shouldn't expect sympathy if you choose to stay there and trouble ensues. Most French motorhome aires de services just comprise a water/waste point with an adjacent car-park. Security-wise, it's hard to see how overnighting on a car-park can be equated to overnighting on a campsite.

Me, I want an uneventful, uninterrupted night's sleep and experience tells me I'm most likely to get this on a French campsite or at a France Passion site. I'm picky about the aires we stay on (a lot pickier than I used to be!) and there are well-recommended aires that I deliberately avoid. Obviously it would be hypocritical for me to suggest that forum members shouldn't overnight on French aires, but common sense dictates that caution should play at least some part when deciding which ones to use.

Good reply, Derek.  I agree, common sense and gut-feel first.  My wife and I have occasionally stayed on a motorway service aire, but it was only due to being exhausted and having no other choice.  Even then, we parked in the lighted area, in sight of the people on the checkouts inside, and put up with the truck noise all night!

We will happily use town aires, depending on the surroundings etc etc.  Common sense, as you say.  We do the same with the Italian area di sosta, and German Stellplatze.  We are tired of spending so much money on regular campsites, but will do so in a flash if either of us is uncomfortable with an aire.

But the big winner in France, as you allude to Derek, is France Passion.  We spend whole holidays in France using only FP sites.  Safe, often beautiful to a fault, usually friendly, always free, and often on the D roads that no other tourist (or Frenchman!!!) knew even existed.

To be a little more specific on your question, Arzangees, the CC club was probably referring to all three types of Aires... Aires de Service (fuel, shop etc), Aires de Repos (small areas off the side of motorways for a rest) and Town/Municipal Aires (car parks, stopping places etc in towns and villages).  I don't believe that a club such as the CC club could comment any other way.  And I certainly could not put my hand on my heart and say you'd be safe either.  But the "bad stories" mostly seem to refer to the motoway Aires de Service and Aires de Repos.  I don't think I've heard bad stories about the town aires.  As I mentioned above, we hapily use town aires and their equivilents in Italy and Germany.

I have just (three days ago) returned from France (and Spain), we were away for 5 weeks this time and used a campsite only once.

I agree 100% with the other replies. I would never use a motorway aire, it would be hard for us anyway as I think the peage charges for campervans are extortionate and never use the peage. There are some on the free parts but best not use them to overnight.

I have stayed on some wonderful aires in the mountains, usually by ourselves, very small communes with a small parking place, water, dump points and all free.

I feel 100% safe on these, interestingly, the local policeman will often arrive for a look see, no doubt making a note of my registration, and that of any others there, and very welcome he is to.

I would add that some basic security should be considered, some motorhome doors/locks are a bit flimsy to my eyes, I suggest deadlocks of some sort on every door and a good alarm.

Avoid anywhere you see grafiti, broken glass (car glass) on the floor, no lighting, multi-storey flats, etc. etc.

It is reckoned that about 1 million motorhomes are on the roads in Europe at times, and I suppose there is a small risk of problems, but it is a small one.

To close I will mention that I have had stuff stolen on a camp site, so it can happen there as well.

Geoff

The Caravan Club is well known for its anti aires (of any sort) attitude.

My feeling is that, as usual, only bad news seems to be worth reporting. Sure you can get break-ins anywhere but, compared to the thousands of uneventful nights spent on aires, a few incidents are probably hardly significant.

Of course people must make their own judgements about what is safe, no point in staying somewhere if you spend the night worrying....

Andy_C

Guest JudgeMental

We have only ever experienced theft from a campsite. Stupid to say campsites are intrinsically safe while Aires are not, with the exception of motorways Aires. You need to access the risk of wherever you stay and put control measures in place to protect yourselves.... if you leave your van doors open while sunbathing on a site don't be surprised if you eventually get robbed *-)

we just returned from a weekend and spent 3 peaceful nights on Aires. City de Europe: very quiet and convenient for shopping. Valerie sur Somme and Le Touquet.

Andy_C - 2008-10-28 1:17 PM The Caravan Club is well known for its anti aires (of any sort) attitude. My feeling is that, as usual, only bad news seems to be worth reporting. Sure you can get break-ins anywhere but, compared to the thousands of uneventful nights spent on aires, a few incidents are probably hardly significant. Of course people must make their own judgements about what is safe, no point in staying somewhere if you spend the night worrying.... Andy_C

Here I go again, on my old hobby-horse!

We really should not refer just to "aires".  There are really no such things.  The word means place or location, and it is the other bits of the title of these places that are the most important.  An "aire de service" on a autoroute, is what we'd call a motorway service station.  All have some parking provision: do not overnight on these.  Ditto an "aire picnique", those nice ones of which we have none in UK, without the pumps and food outlet, usually with WCs, which are rest areas for comfort stops and stretching your legs.  The French police actively discourage overnighting on either of the above, precisely because they are where most robberies of tired travellers take place.

Aires de service Camping-Cars, on the other hand, provided they have marked parking bays and there are no time restrictions, are provided, and intended, for overnighting.  However, there are still a couple of points to watch.  First, there are a few of these on autoroutes: the same applies as above, do not overnight on autoroute aires of any kind.  These are intended for taking on water, dumping waste, and any associated parking for short term use (meals/rest breaks) only, not for overnighting.  Second, there are a number of aires de services camping-car in, and around, large towns.  Avoid these as well, since they are almost invariably in the less affluent parts of town, are frequently overlooked or near roads footpaths from which your presence can be monitored, and are seldom secure.  Seek out the aires de service camping-car near small towns/villages.  You'll need to drive away from the autoroutes and remaining/ex N roads to find them, but they will be far safer and quieter.  The locals will generally welcome you as well, the more so if you buy your bread/croissants etc locally while there.

Guest Tracker

Even in daylight on Motorway service areas in France and in Spain, particularly in the South of the counties, it can be dodgy to leave your van unattended and out of sight.

Broken handles and glass fragments are often the silent witness to what can happen.

Don't be paranoid but do be aware and careful.

Andy_C - 2008-10-28 1:17 PM

The Caravan Club is well known for its anti aires (of any sort) attitude.

Andy_C

When reading anything that the Caravan Club says about "Aires" you have to bear in mind that the club has got a very lage amount of money invested in campsites, which naturally influences their attitude to alternatives. Turkeys don't vote for Christmas and campsite owners won't do anything to favour "Aires".

I have used campsites and aires for very many years and I find that you can't generalise - each site, "aire" or campsite, has to be assesed on its own merits, both with regard to facilities and security.

We note that on another web site the "aire" refered to by the cc is identified as on the A6 Autoroute near Lyons. So yes we agree about not staying overnight on Autoroutes and clearly the cc, along with some other clubs and parts of the motor home press are very pro camp site. As for us then we have just returned from another 2 months in France staying on the camping car aires and enjoying the freedom and life style this allows. We choose with care and if we do not like the look of a particular aire then move on. It is interesting to note however, that when we read the French motorhome press, or speak with other French vanners there is no mention of attacks on camping cars. Given that we estimate that in the summer months over 30000 camping cars stay on aires every night then the message seems to be enjoy using these great facilities, use with common sense and ignore the misinformation of the cc and others.

Thanks to everyone who posted replies. We'll probably use both, but take on board your advice about feeling safe and not venturing in parts where too overlooked etc. Hope to find ones in little villages. We use very few autoroutes,usually only around large towns, eg Barcelona.

Off to sort out our routes now, once again, many thanks

(lol) Hi we have just had a 10 week wander round France using "AIRES "all the time,we always use them in France { and Germany ] and any where else we can find them .Of course you are at risk on them as you are anywhere you leave your goodie stuffed van .we have a maxim and that is if either of us {wife and I } feel aprehensive we dont stay,but I have to say that has never been the case We also stayed wild on beaches in France and in Villages ,On Sete beach road there must have been a line of 100 vans in total and at night they all went [or nearly all ] into town and parked up,for water and toilet dump as well. Sadly Sete Beach is

being revamped so it looks like free camping along it is doomed.

As for campsites being safe ,I know of a senario first hand where someone on Quevas Mar campsite in Spain went to the washing up area for about an hour and came back to their van they had left unlocked [ how daft was that ] to find they had been robbed.unfortunatly the local {GYPSIES } got the blame, but I believe it was someone camping on the site that did it. So my advice to any one is BE AWARE ,keep all valuables hidden or better still get a small safe ,[cheap enough ]for Passports .Credit Cards and Money etc ] and go off and enjoy Lifes too short to worry. (lol)

The latest (November 2008) Caravan Club magazine refers on page 44 to the 'Aires' article in the preceding issue as follows:

"We did not make it clear that the article was only referring to the Aires on the autoroutes and not the Aires du Service Camping Car which can be found in towns and villages."

So now you know...

Derek Uzzell - 2008-10-29 1:14 PM

The latest (November 2008) Caravan Club magazine refers on page 44 to the 'Aires' article in the preceding issue as follows:

"We did not make it clear that the article was only referring to the Aires on the autoroutes and not the Aires du Service Camping Car which can be found in towns and villages."

So now you know...

a marked improvement in attitude from CC - good to see

ray

Archived