Norway in may?

peterjl

Guest Tracker
All in we spent about £3000 on a six week holiday for two, including ferries (lots), tolls & bridges (a few) 8000 miles worth of diesel, food, meals out (not many), attractions, souvenirs and gifts, and at about £250 each per week all in I don't consider that too bad for a known expensive area and we will go again and dispose of some more of our son's inheritance before they and Grasping do it for us.

We did Norway and Sweden again this summer. I too venture that visiting Norway for the cities is rather missing the point. In my view it's best to visit from June to September if you want to be absolutely assured of clear roads. Alternatively, late autumn and early spring are the best time to try for the Northern Lights.

We spent four weeks there this time round and at that time fuel prices were comparable to the UK. We took everything we needed and supplemented this with about four supermarket shops. Prices were a little higher than the UK but not a disaster. Ferries across the Fjords added about £60 to the trip costs. We wild camped every night, which is, has been mentioned, perfectly acceptable over there. All told, excluding the ferry from Newcastle and back, the trip cost us something in the region of 25% more than the equivalent miles / duration of a trip in good old Blighty.

I’d suggest four weeks minimum for a fairly direct trip from the south to Nordkapp and back, otherwise it'll all be a rushed blur.

If you are into the great outdoors, it doesn’t get a great deal better – if you aren’t, go somewhere else.

1804530631_NorwaySweden08339(Custom).jpg.79b59728331ca7af22545a973dcee7ff.jpg

Another thing about Norway in May / June time is the fact that you get 24 hours of daylight - so you are never in a hurry " to get there before it gets dark"

This fact also gives me an excuse to add this photo - taken while sitting in the van doorway, at about 10 or 11 pm.

It's on a site at Kabelvag on the Lofotens.

Sandvik1.jpg.ec781580c3e5a1d06cd75fdbb812ca3a.jpg

Archived