Channel 5 free to air on Astra 2

Nobby

For all you satellite FTA buffs and those with a Sky box but no viewing card -

Channel 5 has gone free to air but it doesn't appear on any EPG as yet (3rd Nov.).

You can manually tune it on transponder 10773 H 22000 5/6 and select and save ID 6335. On a Sky box, do this in 'Other Channels'.

I've tried it and it works.

Apologies if this has been mentioned before but I couldn't easily find any info.

Best Regards to all,

Nobby

Hi,

Yes, you can add free to air programmes to your freesat box, (if it is a Humax HD) by 'manually tuning' the transponder details in. That is the only way you can receive Channel 5 at present (4/11) as it has not yet been added to the Freesat EPG.

You will find Manual Tuning on a Humax Freesat HD Box once you press the menu button. Having 'saved' your search result, you will then find any saved stations under 'non Freesat' by again pressing the menu button and looking in the appropriate place. Sounds a bit convoluted but easier in practice. This will also save any other stations found on the same transponder and you can delete any unwanted ones if you wish.

To get back to the Freesat EPG once you have finished with you non-Freesat station, you have to select 'Freesat' in the menu's to get back.

Please note that the above instructions for non-Freesat tuning may not relate to boxes other than a Humax as they are in some respects (and I believe this facility is one of those) less well specified. Software spec changes all the time, so if other Freesat boxes can be similarly manually tuned, then I will be happy to stand corrected.

To find FTA stations that are not on the EPG on a Sky box, do a search under 'Other Channels' by inputting your transponder details when asked for. You will need to follow the menus which are fairly intuitive and save any stations that you want which can later be accessed in 'Other Channels'.

You may need to experiment a little as it is not always obvious what you have found during a search. For example, who would have expected Channel 5 to be labelled 6335?? In most cases though, the station is correctly named.

Hope that helps.

Nobby

Thanks Peedee

I have been waiting for that to happen before i upgrade from my SD box to a HD box as i didn't want to speculate to much money before they had all of the normal channels available, but now i have got to wait for the imminent release of a HD PVR which hopefully will be available later this month (around £300)

peedee - 2008-11-06 4:31 PM

braunston - 2008-11-03 3:48 PM

From all of the indications it should appear on the BBC/ITV FreeSat very shortly also.

http://www.joinfreesat.co.uk/

Yes 18th November is the scheduled date.

peedee

I have been waiting for that to happen before i upgrade from my SD box to a HD box as i didn't want to speculate to much money before they had all of the normal channels available, but now i have got to wait for the imminent release of a HD PVR which hopefully will be available later this month

C4 HD is looking unlikely though, on Freesat.

With just BBC HD, which is still mainly repeats and a few 'red button' ITV HD programmes, it might be worth waiting a bit for the price to drop. Let the early adopters pay the premium.

Usually TV viewing takes back seat to almost all other activities. Gets watched a bit more when persistent rubbish weather keeps us in. If you don’t have a recording facility, which can get a bit cumbersome, programmes are missed. No great loss really but all that has changed for us. Upgraded to Sky + HD (for Olympics) and put the Sky + box in the van. What a treat that’s become, not only allows us to take a bundle of recorded stuff but now never miss that something special because we are elsewhere. It records in standby. Couple of points possible three, you have to have your subscription card with you. (we’ve found that although its registered to the HD + box at home after a few hours on site allows the + facility to be used) with only one feed (appreciate I could put a twin LNB into use) but one is enough after all I have not found the need, so far, to record more than one channel. Lastly we probably shouldn’t be doing this anyway. But I’m of the mind that I’m only in one place a one time and if the stuff hits the fan I’ll cancel the lot and buy a Humax or Metronic Freesat PVR when they are available which I understand will afford a similar facility. Thinking of upgrading the Sky + Box Hard Drive to 1Tb, (should be enough for now) section it for music and favourite video stuff. This upgrade is done at my own risk and nothing to do with Sky.

Forgot to add - I’ve tried to watch CH5 movies but given up. IMO they just rip the guts out of a film. It just becomes a sequence of adverts with bits of film thrown in. FF button rules. !

Archived