Ireland

Tailendcharley

:-D Hi all,

I am planning a 10 day trip around Ireland in June of next year in my VW Caravelle camper thingy. If possible I would like to do Southern Ireland from the bottom and then travel northwards up to the Giant's Causeway in Northern Ireland.

Any advice or information regarding the cheapest method of getting across the water and camp sites would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for reading this entry...... (lol) (lol)

Regards

8-) 8-) Smithy 8-) 8-)

Hi Tailendcharley and welcome to the nut house!

We did a couple of fortnight holidays to Ireland - to the southern half in 2002 and the northern half in 2004. Ireland is actually quite a big place so you'll find that trying to do it all in 10 days is a bit of a tall order, especially since some of the roads are small and aren't always as good as over here. If you're not careful you'll end up just travelling for most of your holiday.

For the first one we travelled from Holyhead to Dun Laoghaire, the second time we did Stranraer to Belfast. We found the latter quicker but obviously it depends on where you're wanting to see.

I've still got a fairly detailed travel journal that I wrote of our 2004 visit, you're welcome to a copy if you want it, it gives places we stopped and visited. If you would like a copy just PM me with your email address.

By the way, where in EY are you?? We're in Cottingham.

:->

Hello

You will definatly need more than 10 days to tour Ireland, we went for a month and still didnt see all, so are returning next year.

Your best to start at Belfast,going around the beautiful Antrim coast road to the Giants Causway,then if you like whiskey, carry onto Bushmills, doing a tour the factory, and sampling the necter, staying at nearby Ballyness caravan park.

Then if time allows go around the coast to Galway and to Kilarney, to go around the ring of kerry, onto Cork, to kiss the blarney stone. Carry onto Waterford to go around the glass blowing factory.

To finish your tour proceed up the coast to Dublin.

This is only a tiny description from what can be said about this trip. And now is the time to start planning, getting brocures, web sites, and getting

ferry quotes.

Regards Pandaman

I live in Cork and am definitely biased toward the South West of Ireland. You will find very good campsites, great food, great pubs, stunning scenery - the jury is still out on the roads though!! Some of my favourite sites are in Kerry - Woodlands in Tralee, Wavecrest in Derrynane, Glenross in Glenbeigh, Flesk park in Killarney. In Co Clare I love Nagles in Doolin. There are lots of others in other counties but those mentioned are my favourites. Have a look at this website and it gives you all the details http://www.camping-ireland.ie/index.html

You generally don't need to book but as usual August can be very busy so it is often best to phone ahead. Remember if you travel the Ring of Kerry travel in the same direction as the Tour Buses - the reason will be obvious once you start on the road!!

Definitely come here you will be made welcome.

Aileen

We're heading to Ireland in June next year too!

While at the NEC motohome show last month we visited the discover Ireland stand. They said that there was no need to book sites in advance in June unless you were going the first weekend as that's there bank holiday which can get booked up in advance. You can have a look at the web site www.discoverireland.com or call 0800 0397000 for brochure, also www.campingireland.ie for sites

We too have been saving our tesco vouchers hoping that we can use them on the crossing, never actually used them before so it'll be interesting to see if it's easy!

We did a short trip to Ireland in September, stayed at Glenmore Caravan Park Ballycastle NI - out of season, large site, hardstandings, lake but no views. Silver Strands Caravan Park (Woolahans) 2 miles south of Wicklow, views of sea, short walk down to small cove. St Margarets Bay campsite, just outside Rosslare Ferry port, but far enough away not to hear traffic. Lovely site, clean and well kept facilities, 5 min walk to beautiful beach, ideal for walking or cycling.

Hi

I live just outside Belfast and with getting our first van last August we have only toured Donegal, Wicklow and Mayo so I can give you the run down on those counties also lots of information on sites in the North, places to go and places to eat. just PM me for information and I will try to do my best.

Should really blog these but not sure of the best site to use - are there any campsite or motorhome blogs anyone knows that are good?

Good to hear so many interested in coming over. Feel lucky to live on such a beautiful island although we do hope to see England or Scotland next year.

Phantom

Archived