Of interest to all

nightrider

davenewell@home - 2008-11-11 7:11 AM

I have to say I'm very surprised at Basil's post as I wouldn't ordinarily expect such a bigoted and selfish comment from him.

I was made redundant in 1981 right at the end of my apprenticeship and with a young family to support. Nobody wanted to employ a freshly qualified mechanic and as a consequence I was unemployed and had to "lower" myself to signing on for three years.

My older brother is currently experiencing the unemployment system for the first time in his life. He has worked as an engineer in the automotive industry for 28 years from leaving school and as a works general manager for the last three years. Due to the downturn in the building industry he was one of the first redundancies from his latest employer (who happened to be a personal friend of his for over thirty years). He now gets £60 a week unemployment benefit. In his first month of unemployment he applied for over 2500 jobs and was turned down for most of them because he was "over qualified"!

I respectfully suggest that Basil winds his neck back in and apologises for such a sweeping statement based on nothing but his own short sighted view of the world!

D.

Quite agree Dave. What a bigotted plonker. He was surely having a laugh?.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
crinklystarfish - 2008-11-11 3:01 PM

Knight… 

An explanation:  

I initially simply had a bit of a skit re your “Of interest to all” title, perhaps “Of interest to me”, or “Of vague interest to some” would have been more appropriate; whereupon I wouldn’t have set my hopes quite so high when I first looked at the thread. 

All, 

In any event, things have indeed now become a bit more interesting. I loath immorality and consider ‘professional scroungers’ as a cankerous scum. I also report them whenever I become aware of them. I hope this makes me part of the solution rather than a part of the problem. I also have sympathy for those who have a genuine need for a leg up.  

Clearly what is needed is a determined effort to assist the genuine and jettison the scum. 

There are two fundamental stumbling blocks: 1) Many of our miserable species are happy to simply exploit the world and return nothing, and 2) Public services are hopelessly constrained and inefficient, and don’t stand a chance of equitably administering the current system. 

Some possible solutions. 

For now - if anyone knows a scrounger, report them. Don’t simply whinge that ‘somebody should do something’.  

Worth a try - having the stones to tackle the problem head on. How about a scheme whereby the precept for benefit, together with an appropriately regulated responsibility for the provision of a very basic safety net is handed to the private sector who would, crucially, be allowed to employ their own physicians. 

The ‘basic safety net’ would need to be clearly defined, but it wouldn’t for example, reward work-shy dimwits from spitting out their odious progeny. Something like the Spanish model seems like a good starting point. 

Taking the NHS and bleeding-heart meddlers out of the equation, and simultaneously introducing the notion of commerce, would result, I’ll wager, in the amount of cash blithely thrown in the direction of the undeserving scrounging scum tumble dramatically.

crinkly, or may I call you Adolf,

What a way to describe your fellow men, have you ever thought of employing concentration camps, zyclon B, gas chambers and crematoria to solve your problems? no way would I grass up someone signing on and maybe doing a bit on the side, they say that the British could never do what the Germans did in the last war, they could with people like you ready to denounce someone at the drop of a hat, what a vitriolic post. Aim your vitriol at the people who have made millions and dropped us into the present mess we are in, if a guy has been put on the dole through no fault of his own, has a wife and family to support and a mortgage to pay then all strenght to his elbow if he does a bit on the side to keep his head above water, i'd sooner he did that than going out on the rob.

You may call me anything you like. 

It comes as no surprise that you support benefit fraudsters. I am though still puzzled regarding some of your other views. 

Why would you assume that I don’t also feel injustice at the very rich who have become so because they have ridden roughshod over all before them? 

Isn’t the thief you latterly describe just ‘robbing’ me in a slightly different way?

Do not women support families? 

Can you advise just who it is that says malevolence is bound by nationality? 

I freely admit that I have no tolerance for immorality and do not apologise for publicly denouncing those who lie, cheat, steal, or otherwise infringe upon the decent and law-abiding. 

What you won’t find me doing is speaking out against a fellow human based simply on their colour, sex, religion or creed. Do you know what xenophobia means? That was more Adolf’s style. 

knight of the road - 2008-11-11 4:59 PM Or more call centres in India where no one knows what they are talking about, cos no one knows what they are talking about over here.

knight of the road - 2008-11-12 4:50 PM ... I personally have no interest in going abroad, all my interests are over here.

knight of the road - 2008-11-12 9:14 PM ...unless of course you may have stayed nearby the truckstops where foreign drivers are prone to cock up a leg.

You still have one remaining foot, if you’d like to shoot yourself in that one too, I suspect many readers would be quietly amused.

crinklystarfish - 2008-11-13 10:34 AM

You may call me anything you like. 

It comes as no surprise that you support benefit fraudsters. I am though still puzzled regarding some of your other views. 

Why would you assume that I don’t also feel injustice at the very rich who have become so because they have ridden roughshod over all before them? 

Isn’t the thief you latterly describe just ‘robbing’ me in a slightly different way?

Do not women support families? 

Can you advise just who it is that says malevolence is bound by nationality? 

I freely admit that I have no tolerance for immorality and do not apologise for publicly denouncing those who lie, cheat, steal, or otherwise infringe upon the decent and law-abiding. 

What you won’t find me doing is speaking out against a fellow human based simply on their colour, sex, religion or creed. Do you know what xenophobia means? That was more Adolf’s style. 

knight of the road - 2008-11-11 4:59 PM Or more call centres in India where no one knows what they are talking about, cos no one knows what they are talking about over here.

knight of the road - 2008-11-12 4:50 PM ... I personally have no interest in going abroad, all my interests are over here.

knight of the road - 2008-11-12 9:14 PM ...unless of course you may have stayed nearby the truckstops where foreign drivers are prone to cock up a leg.

You still have one remaining foot, if you’d like to shoot yourself in that one too, I suspect many readers would be quietly amused.

[/quote

crinkly,

Point out to me where I have mentioned a particular race or colour? or where I have said I support benefit fraud where does immorality fit into this discussion? the mention of Indian call centres had no reference to colour, merely the difficulty in understanding them.

The things I am interested in are all over here, so no point in my going abroad is there? it is nothing to do with being xenophobic, apart from that I have travelled to many foreign parts on behalf of her Majesty and also of my own choice, you dont have to stay where the truckers park to see them cock a leg up you only have to walk or drive past the truck stops.

We are supposed to be living in a caring society I took exception to your rhetoric of lumping all the unemployed into one basket, break down the unemployment figures and you will see the genuine unemployed, the can work but wont work brigade and the physically fit but unemployable types.

When I as a caring type person look at these people I say to myself, 'there but for the grace of God go I' and count my blessings, what do you suggest? the establisment of the gulag, concentration camps, forced castration and sterilisation of the unworthy to prevent anymore of their progeny who I might add are completely innocent.

Live and let live, as long as they are not standing you up against a wall and rifling your pockets, apart from that it is impossible to have 100% employment there will always be at least a million people on the dole at any one time.

crinkly,

Glad your not a neighbour of mine, next time I am on site if I see someone on a high horse it will probably be you, my first post on this string was offering sympathy to all those thrown out of work in this current financial crisis, your reply that 'its of no interest to me' was, I think selfish, uncaring and uncalled for.

I think its only human nature that people should agree or disagree what ever . I dont think people should be banned as in the past as long as it dont get to over the top.

I seriously think we should have a disagrement section BUT having said that no one seems to disagree much since Franks gone .

Actually I think it livens it up a bit as its nice to see two sides of the coin .

Love Crinklys way of writing he does make me stop and think nice to see you back .

Thanks michele,

And re earlier post. Just to advise about wasted effort; I'm not to be found on sites.

I went to one once and found it curious. I was made to pay for electricity I neither needed nor wanted, and spent my whole stay acutely aware that most of the people there were transfixed with nothing more than watching other people packing or unpacking caravan accessories.

Odd.

Guest Tracker
crinklystarfish - 2008-11-13 7:51 PM

Thanks michele,

And re earlier post. Just to advise about wasted effort; I'm not to be found on sites.

I went to one once and found it curious. I was made to pay for electricity I neither needed nor wanted, and spent my whole stay acutely aware that most of the people there were transfixed with nothing more than watching other people packing or unpacking caravan accessories.

Odd.

This has GOT to stop Crinkley - I find myself agreeing with you again - very worrying!

Guest Tracker
michele - 2008-11-13 8:17 PM

Rich you need this

argument clinic Oh drat its not a link ....just look above on Twooks post

:D

Who are you to tell me that I need an argument?

Tracker - 2008-11-13 8:25 PM

michele - 2008-11-13 8:17 PM

Rich you need this

argument clinic Oh drat its not a link ....just look above on Twooks post

:D

Who are you to tell me that I need an argument?

I'm not telling you anything Rich,

unless you're prepared to pay for the full 30 minutes -:-> otherwise it's just a discussion

innit

B-)

Archived