People power is not yet dead.

Mick H.

These competitions become popularity contests - not ability contests - I remember Pete Waterman walking out in disgust of Pop Idol (The X Factors BBC predecessor) when a rather overweight Scottish lady won due to the whole of Scotland voting.

She could not sing and was the furthest thing from a Pop Idol anyone could imagine. She has never been heard of since.

Not an anti north of the border comment at all - but it underlines why the Eurovision Dong contest is such a joke. - Partisan voting.

And you are not telling me that Owen (I have no idea of the Gaelic spelling) should be still in it after his weak voice has been exposed on more than one occasion! – but he is a great lad with a good personality – just not a strong voice.

After a while people do not bother to vote for who is good at what is being tested - just who they like.

So all of these programs revert to popularity contests - nothing to do with talent at all.

Some still make good viewing with the help of a few glasses of wine tho!

J9withdogs - 2008-11-17 9:03 PM

Tracker - 2008-11-17 8:59 PM

Or perhaps it's simply because he is an unpretentious really nice genuine guy?

That's as maybe, Rich - BUT HE CAN'T DANCE!!

haven't watched it - but it seems to me that the lunatics have taken over the asylum anyway so what the hell

[missed Albert's gig, have been consoling myself by hammering the CD -

now there's a point - can they dance to him >:-) ]

B-)

Digressing back to X-Factor, I hope either Ruth or Alexandra win as they are the only good singers on the show. Can't decide between them which should win. Alexandra's voice is improving week on week and Ruth is consistently good ... female version of last year's contest maybe????

Can't really stand Diana's way of singing, sounds like she's trying to do a very bad impression of Kenneth Williams singing through his nose a lot of the time, she did do a very good version of Blonde's record though but generally she sounds the same all the time as they keep giving her the mundane records to do.

Eoghan (and I spelt that without looking it up ... and then checked it was right! :D) is a nice lad and is gradually getting his voice but there's no way he is good enough to win, in a few years maybe when he's got proper control of it and a bit of power.

Rachel ... she's got a powerful voice but unfortunately she just seems to go through the motions, she tends to squeak loudly (a bit like Tina Turner as she's got older) and struggles with anything less powerful.

JLS - one faily good 'front' singer with a backing group, nice lads but nothing special.

• 4 weeks later...

Just dug this back up, couldn't remember what I'd said previously! :-S

Nice to see a real singer won the X-Factor competition ... I was worried the JLS might just do it!!! 8-)

Well done to Alexandra, I think she's got a wonderful future ahead of her, and she seems to be such a lovely girl as well. Hubby has already downloaded her single and it sounds even better than last night if that is possible!

I hate to think what Eoghan's version was like and JLS's version ... all it did was prove that they could be backing singers to Asten. Somehow I don't think the other finalists will get recording contracts this year, but I don't think it'll be the last we've heard of Eoghan ...

Thought Strictly last night was a bit of a waste of time but at least it kept Tom in for another go why they picked a jive at such a important part of the comp is beyond me.

Alexandra was a good winner although I think there is a place for JLS have to say heard Alexandra's single on the radio today it sounded great. Carol.

What I don't understand about JLS is that they seemed to have lost their way, earlier on in the competition they were doing some good harmonies, but in the last few weeks all they did is become a front man with a backing group. Looking at Asten's face last night after a couple of their songs said it all ... he knew they weren't going to win, even though he has a really good voice and is really likable (as are the rest of the boys). I know that Louie kept going on about there being a 'gap' for a band like JLS so whether he'll sign them I don't know.

Anyway, ... I'm still in 'Rhydian' mode, the more I listen to his CD the more I like it! :D

Guest Tracker
Hymer C 9. - 2008-12-14 6:36 PM

Thought Strictly last night was a bit of a waste of time but at least it kept Tom in for another go why they picked a jive at such a important part of the comp is beyond me.

Alexandra was a good winner although I think there is a place for JLS have to say heard Alexandra's single on the radio today it sounded great. Carol.

The whole point of last night's dance farce surely had more to do with raising cash from phone calls that judging because, and although I don't watch it (Dot does), I get the impression that since dear old John went they would have been a player short of the three they need for the final?

Or maybe I am a cynical old git that has got it all wrong?

The whole point of these shows is to raise dosh. With out the cash coming in they couldn't afford to make them.

In the case of X-Factor last night, they had over 8 million calls to vote ... that's about £2.8 million income. But, how much does it cost to put on these shows, pay the guest stars, the royalties for the songs, the hire of the studio, staffing, trainers, coaches, accommodation, etc, etc. Then there's the recording contract costs, yes they'll make a load of dosh off the sales of the records as well but it is still a heck of a lot of money and if you get a winner who everyone likes but isn't going to sell many records ... then what! If they didn't make lots of money these shows wouldn't get made in the first place.

Now whether you are a cynical old git .... I'll refrain from answering I think! :D

Guest Tracker
Mel B - 2008-12-14 7:07 PM

If they didn't make lots of money these shows wouldn't get made in the first place.

:D

...........................and wouldn't that be a tragedy?????????????????????????

Tracker - 2008-12-14 6:59 PM

Hymer C 9. - 2008-12-14 6:36 PM

Or maybe I am a cynical old git that has got it all wrong?

Tracker how could we think such a thing :D :D ;-) Carol.

Archived