LPG in Portugal

sooty10

Hi there,

You don't say which part of Portugal you are intending to visit but as most people find themselves on the Algarve at some stage or other, here are two well know LPG filling spots that will refill almost anything:-

BOLIQUIME (between Albufeira and Quarteira). 50 metres off N125 'GPL' sign clearly visible from main road.

QUELFES. Take the N 398 (East of Olhao) signed Moncarapacho, Faro & Espahne leave at first exit. GPL station can be clearly seen on the left as you approach the exit. From A22 leave at exit 15. Take Quelfes turn off from N398 signed on left. I have used this one in the past - usually looks like it is closed but you need to knock on the house door.

While travelling around Portugal, you will see GPL at filling stations on the main routes and in towns to a quite reassuring extent. I refilled earlier this year at the Repsol filing station at the West end of Olhao.

Best of luck - we will be going at the same time so I hope you get great weather.

Regards,

Nobby

If you are using refillable bottles or tank then LPG or as its known over there GPL is available all over Portugal at many filling stations, if you are looking to re fill calor bottles then the couple already mentioned are fine as is the Blue Elephant Garage just over the border in Villa Real on the Algarve, they will fill any bottle at a fraction of the UK cost.

ROND - 2008-11-18 12:06 AM

if you are looking to re fill calor bottles then the couple already mentioned are fine as is the Blue Elephant Garage just over the border in Villa Real on the Algarve, they will fill any bottle at a fraction of the UK cost.

We used the Blue Elephant at Vila Real years ago to fill Calor bottles, before we changed to refillables, - very helpful and they seemed to have adapters to cover a wide range of cylinders.

Andy_C

hi olley, we've not done this before so we are a bit nervous, but we intend to get to benidorm and work our way to maybe marbella.the weather will determine the route we take,i suppose. we will of course fill up with lpg in france but we do a lot of cooking in our mh,plus we are expecting to have to use the fire a lot,and as we hope to do as much wild camping as possible the gas won't last long, so any lpg sites you know of would be appreciated.

Hi again.

Sorry I cannot help with LPG locations here in Spain, I know of one near Granada and when we do need to fill up will probably view the previous reply. Thing is I am new to this refilling lark as we have only just had the gaslo fitted.

As to how I am using the internet here in Spain, sorry to tell you but I am sat here at home in Benalmadena using our landline. Not much help there but when we do go about it is usually easy to find an internet shop to use.

Have fun Sooty10

Hi TD I have done a S/S which I have posted at various times, but its awkward to keep updated, and isn't always very clear so I am trying Google maps, try this URL http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?hl=en&ie=UTF8&msa=0&msid=100414488872017056350.00045c0c2ec92a3f46ca4&z=5

and tell me if "olleys autogas map of spain" comes up.

Couple of things about GPL stations in spain. Until 03 it was illegal for private use, Taxis and Gov/Muninciple vehicles only, so the majority of stations are hidden away on industrial sites, or in a factory yard, they probably won't have any, or little advertising and may take cash only.

Olley

Hi Neil, their are quite a few LPG sites about, tankstellen being one, and in the main their crap on Spain, that's why I have been doing my own over the last couple of years.

The Addresses given on the Repsol site are of very little help and sometimes just plain wrong, and this applies to tankstellen as well. Look at the list, under "Remarks" how many say "GPS sehr ungenau" it means the GPS is wrong. :-(

My map is based on personal use by a posters on various websites, the Repsol site plus others like tankstellen, and then locating that site on Google maps, (just look for the tell tale white tank) even then in one or two instances I have had to a posters word, that's it where they say it is, as I can't see a tank.

I don't guarantee its 100% correct but I am confident its 95%. Searching for an LPG station in an RV is no joke, especially as most are hidden away on industrial estates.

I do have a couple more to go in, and then I will have a look at tankstellen again to see if they have discovered any new ones. :-D

Olley

Hi TD on a tomtom go to the co-ordinates screen, then you enter N followed by the big number, ie N 41.6340 if the second number has a minus in front of it then enter W and then the number, ie W 0.9231

I am doing this from memory as I haven't got the tomtom in front of me.

I would imagine most Satnav's are the similar, if you don't have a tomtom post what you have and somebody on here will help you.

Olley

Archived