Do you use Skype?

potjoe

Skype provides me with excellent communication to my brother on Gran Canaria. It's free and almost fool proof.

I use it with a desk top machine when at home and a lap top when in Europe.

He (my brother) uses the 'Skype out' facility for cheap calls to the rest of the world from GC with little or no problem.

Hi, I have used skype for a year now and the video call is brilliant.

My cousin went to oz and called from an internet cafe, the call was very clear, had their dog looking at the door as if they were outside.

But as a billy no mates i only have their contact details, whenever i try to encourage friends and reatives to down load it, the go into shock.

pete

Hi

I use Skype to have video calls with my son and Skype Out for calls to elderly (non-computer owning) Mother in Law. I am hoping to use Skype in my new Motorhome via an Alden Netmaster. That will mean calls from all over europe to UK numbers fo about £30 a year. It sure beats roaming charges on mobiles.

Peter

Yes we use Skype a lot....from our Pc's at home here in Spain to friends/family back in the UK and all over the world.

Have done so for a few years now.

Price per call, however long you waffle on to someone else also with Skype on their computer (or skype phone) over the interent, is fantastic.........Zero!!!

I agree that the technical quality of the system has improved significantly in the past couple of years, the video-call feature is now very good.

I have recently obtained a Skype address and hope to persuade members of my family to use it too so that when I am in France I can call them without cost. However, the broadband speed over there is less than than one mb so will it be successful do you think? I tried using it once last week but the sound was not very good. Be glad of any advice.

We have now been using Skype, it was great seeing our baby grandaughter through wifi (mostly from McDonalds) whilst in France. We are now using a 3 dongal and mobile phone at home, using Skpe for 0800 numbers as they are free on Skype. The Quality of the calls varies from very good to not been able to hear. We bought a binotone phone but found it not conpatable to Vista. Has anybody any ideas to how we can improve the quality. We have down loaded the latest version of Skype.

Jean and Robert

Yes, Skype is very good for communicating with family abroad. We regularly speak/see our daughter and new granddaughter in California....However(always one isn't there) on a couple of occasions I've received unwanted attention from chatline types. One was a picture of a naked female. Just glad that the kids weren't looking over my shoulder at the time. I'm not a prude by the way. Anyone else had this or is it just me.

No, it's not just you. I have only used it once and I immediately received a call (which I didn't answer) from someone with the word "slut" in their identification.

I didn't buy a phone but an earphone and microphone. I suppose a phone is likely to be much better though.

skypes free, but you can load credit on to it and call land lines and mobiles from you computer very cheaply also by a skype hand set, looks like an ordinary phone that plugs in to your usb socket and works like a phone.

you can also download fring to a wireless mobile phone and use skype and msn free from a free wifi hot spot through your mobile.

pete

I've got Skype on my mobile phone, it's a Nokia N95 and been getting some odd garbled messages through it in an Alien language. So what is Skype, gives a simple answer here. What do the letters stand for. Does it work via satelite or phone wires. Do we need to hold the phone in the open air in view of a satelite (silly eh, but). Can anyone explain it in simple words, or is it just, well it works anyway..

Gordon....

Archived