Seat Belt Advert

RoyH

Just seen the latest ad for wearing a seat belt. it says that the fellow was not killed by hiitting the steering wheel or the air bag, he was killed because his internal organs carried on and burst through his rib cage. I cannot see the logic of this, surely the seat belt does not restrain your internal organs and they would carry on whether or not you were wearing a belt. The belt might help to support your rib cage but the organs would still be smashed against the inside of it.

Morbid I know but so is the advert. But maybe if it saves someone's life by keeping them in the seat then OK.

Here's how I understand it surmised from my general knowledge, so I might be wrong.

If you are restrained by seatbelt, at impact you are held to main structure of vehicle which deforms giving some lessenng of impact.

If you are unrestrained as the vehicle crumples taking impact you are still traveling forward, you then hit the airbag which is rapidly inflating which actualy makes it worse.

In the US at one time (may still be case?) there where different airbags for use without seatbelts which gave a more cusioning effect, our airbags are designed to be used with seatbelts

Having lost a nephew just before his 18th birthday due to him hitting the steering wheel and suffering a ruptured aorta all I can say is ... does it really matter how the damage is caused, by then it's too late.

Wear a bl**dy seat belt so you never have to find out!!!!!! 8-)

I've been impressed by all the seat belt adverts that have been brought out recently, there's a good one on the radio as well,

something about the different ways that you can opt to stop the body in the event of a collision - last one being the tarmac

never understood why more wasn't made of the effectiveness of wearingf seatbelts in that crash that occurred about 10 years ago in an underpasss in Paris,

4 people - only 1 wearing a belt, only 1 survivor - sez it all

B-)

I wasn't saying don't wear the belt, of course you should, just commenting on the advert. If Diana Pricess of Wales had been wearing one the world might be a different place. (Sorry didn't see yours Twooks before sending this)

Sorry about your loss MelB.

Often wonder if this 'shock' tactic approach really works, or like those tobacco and drink adverts just become another warning we put out of our minds. Always hear of some local police blitz on those not wearing a seatbelt but seem to be a awfull lot of drivers that think this law does'nt apply to them and maybe its time for heavier penalties to help focus the mind on the consequences of not wearing a belt in the event of a accident.

what gets me is the number of kids roaming around on the back seat!

usually with a sign in the back telling you there's a little princess on board

driven by some arrogant self absorbed adult plonker

[not intended as a follow on to my previous whinge *-) ]

sorry Roy - didn't think you were advocating not wearing a belt - that's just the way these threads tend to wander -

I assumed the point was to do with the distance travelled and the force generated by stopping abruptly

B-)

Archived