Elddis/Compass 115s

tyreman

Hi all,in the process of exchanging our sunseeker 400 for sunseeker 115 but have been looking on various forums and been reading about clutch judder on these later vans,has anyone had this concern with their 115 also any other issues or known faults we should address before picking it up,also does yours have a spare wheel ??????..Dave

We have a Compass Suntor 115 on a Peugeot base 2006/7 2.2 Hdi and are over the moon with it the layout is to our needs it averages 35 /37 mpg the only judder we encounter is when reverseing on grass or soft ground , but I have been imformed that is usual with front wheel drive vehicles.

We have not to date encountered any major problems the worst being a faulty gas regulator which has now been fixed under warranty otherwise we cannot fault it.

tyreman - 2008-11-24 8:37 AM

Hi all,in the process of exchanging our sunseeker 400 for sunseeker 115 but have been looking on various forums and been reading about clutch judder on these later vans,has anyone had this concern with their 115 also any other issues or known faults we should address before picking it up,also does yours have a spare wheel ??????..Dave

Do not have this van but I have a new Fiat based van and no judder, also no spare but this has never bothered me.

kelly58 - 2008-11-24 8:57 AM

.......................the only judder we encounter is when reverseing on grass or soft ground , but I have been imformed that is usual with front wheel drive vehicles.

Then I'm sorry Kelly, but I'm afraid that what you have been informed is arrant rubbish! 

I have driven only FWD vehicles since the original Mini, from Simca, Peugeot, Citroen, Renault, Fiat and Ford, and none exhibited judder under any circumstances (except when suffering from worn clutches).  Our last van was on the previous version FWD Fiat chassis - no judder, and the present van, on a current FWD Transit chassis does not judder.

I'm afraid someone is telling you porkies, possibly to allay your fears that your Sevel base judders when it shouldn't.  Try reversing it up a hill, because grass and soft ground increase rolling resistance, just like hills do!

Note that the Explorer Group use Peugeot rather than Fiat. Reversing judder doesn't seem to be so bad on the Peugeots, and when you do get it, Peugeot have a resolution path (software patch followed by replacement gearbox).

I've got a 140, and have a slight judder...nothing that can't be managed by applying more revs (& I reverse onto our sloping drive). I've had the software patch as it was in for some warranty items anyway...can't say it's made things any better but as I say it wasn't particularly an issue anyway.

(Risks flames) For those who are effected, it's clearly a problem on a substantial purchase, and i wish them well in getting a resolution (more of an issue with Fiat, who seem to hope it'll go away). However, there's an awful lot of motorhomes based on the X250 and I honestly don't believe that anything more than a minority of vans are significantly impacted...if they were, you wouldn't be able to get into dealers for picket lines of protesting customers. I wouldn't let it put you off purchasing.

Edit : forgot to add. Before you pick up, make sure they've done the recalls on a) the scuttle water leak and b) coolant pipe across top of engine. a) is largely a cosmetic issue...if b) isn't done you could end up like me, waiting at roadside for the AA to repair....

Guest Tracker

Over the years from 1996 to date I have owned and driven seven Boxer/Ducato based vans all based on the previous model chassis cab and I have NEVER had one that judders in any gear on any surface and I venture to suggest that any previous model Sevel based van that judders has a fault?

I have only ever driven two of the latest incarnation - or is that abomination - X250 Sevel vans and BOTH juddered violently in reverse whilst slipping the clutch ro control speed - you have to slip the clutch as reverse gear is so high that to go backwards with the clutch fully engaged is downright dangerously fast.

Not going to talk about clutch judder as it's covered lots but test drive before you buy. Having said that we picked our 115 last november and bought new. So far we've been on lots of trips in this country and two trips abroad to France and Spain. This is our first van and we think it's brilliant. We decided on the mid lounge over the end lounge and it really suits our needs. So we're very pleased with it. The spare wheel is accessable with a square drive tool includedm in the jack/wheelbrace kit. The van has had it's first habitation check and the dealer found some a small indication of damp next to the nearside wheelarch which is being fixed under warranty.

The Peugeot upgrades were done by a main dealer.

For the money I think it's an excellent van. If you want PM me and I'll go on a bit more.

Rosbotham - 2008-11-24 7:37 PM

b) coolant pipe across top of engine. if b) isn't done you could end up like me, waiting at roadside for the AA to repair....

Could you give me some info on this please. Is this the latest recall mentioned a wee while ago?? What exactly is it for do you know. Would be grateful for any info you could give me.

Caveat Emptor !!! where X250's (Fiat,Citroen, Peugeot) are concerned !

Am I Bovvered ! (you should be).

less reverse judder prob's SEEM to appear on 100ps engined ones.(so they say ??)

If it Judders backing onto a grass pitch, think what would happen if you go down a steep lane and a Tractor towing a trailer comes UP the lane.??

Falling in Love with a layout, is only ever half the story,you have to live with the vehicle. Good luck ! :D :D

diydoolittle - 2008-11-25 9:38 AM

Could you give me some info on this please. Is this the latest recall mentioned a wee while ago?? What exactly is it for do you know. Would be grateful for any info you could give me.

It's been mentioned either here, or over on motorhomefacts (sorry, I lose track!). NB I don't believe it's linked to the scuttle leak.

On the Peugeot engine, the coolant expansion tank is on the left hand side, and there's a connection to the top of the engine at the right hand side. To make things tidy, rather than using a rubber hose for the full length it's routed using a metal pipe across the top of the engine. Unfortunately, that's all held a bit tight so that when the engine vibrates (as they do), eventually the metal pipe fractures, p-ing coolant over the top of the engine. Thing is, if the scuttle "fix" isn't working, the coolant collects at the same points as the rainwater, so it doesn't stand out.

There is a recall to replace the pipe with a flexible hose (at least I'm assuminf the recall is to do what they did to mine as remedial action!), but they don't seem to be treating as urgent, gradually working through. Which is fine, unless you're like me and the pipe snaps before they get to you, in which case you end up stranded at the roadside. On the plus side, so long as the AA have some flexible hose, they can get you going again.

Archived