Stuck on a grass pitch!

Ned Swift

Howdedoodly!!!!!!!!

I am spending some of this wet and wintry period at a site with no hardstanding - aaaggggh , I hear you cry!

How can I prevent myself getting stuck? What are the best solutions to this mud spinning problem?

All ideas welcome, serious and bizarre

Not Stuck Ned :-)

Guest Tracker

Park with all four wheels on something hard like a paving slab, a couple of bricks, a plank of wood or anything firm that will spread the load and prevent that sinking feeling.

Park with the front wheels on an access road and if the site owner objects either go elsewhere or advise him of your vans fine ploughing capabilities on his nice turf!

Go and camp somewhere else?

Ask the site owner for something firm to park on as no doubt he would prefer you to not plough your own furrows.

Ask the site owner to get his tractor warmed up to tow you out

Ned, I've been researching what might help since I bought my van 18 months ago. We mainly use CL's so getting stuck has been a worry for the whole time we have had the van - given the weather over the period and our uncanny ability to act as a "rain magnet".

I've read interminable amounts about mats, ribbed plastic sheets, planks, (we have all three on board now and been used with limited success), sand ladders/waffle boards, grip trax, goclaws, chains, spikes spiders, ground anchors and winches etc etc and all of it was inconclusive, except that chains do work on snow, apparently.

In the end, I ordered go claws yesterday at £122.86 the pair and they should arrive tomorrow. If (when!) I use them in anger I shall post a full report on this forum.

I am very cautious and walk the entire route to and from where I am going to pitch before I drive into a field but my concern is that once on site, the inevitable deluge will change the ground conditions. This has been a regular feature of almost all of our trips and I have got badly stuck once and had numerous close calls. I am hoping the goclaws will make it more likely I can get out of a field without assistance but also facilitate my driving the 400metres up the 1 in 7 hill from the main road to my house and into my 1in 7 driveway if there is snow while I am away on a trip.

Bob

Guest Tracker

The ONLY breakdown service that I know of that will rescue you from being stuck a camp site is the RAC Arrival scheme via the Camping and Caravan Club and even then you will need to explain your predicament very carefully so that they send a heavy tow truck with a winch and long cable so that it does not risk becoming stuck itself.

If you are a long way from the hard stuff or inaccessible they will quite sensibly not risk getting their tow truck stuck and you are then literally in deep doodah and a farmers tractor may well be your only option.

The grass cutting tractors used by the club sites are not authorised to nor capable of towing a motor caravan out of the sticky stuff although the wardens/managers will very often find a 4x4 or tow vehicle man enough rather than have their lovely grass ploughed up by you!

Well that's my experience and I stand to be corrected as I have not (yet) been stuck for many years now - but I am working on it!

In our caravanning days, we carried a 'Jockey' winch and a big ground anchor. Using these items it was always possible to drag ourselves out of the mire, slowly at times, but possible. For reasons that I can no longer remember, we sold these when we got our motorvan.

i have had to be towed of twice this year .

ccc grass cutter towed me off

4x4 towed me of .

flat site been raining all night .rain just runs off over cab

straight on to floor water sits there and wheels spin and you go no were.

went  out and got some bread trays .

Cut down bread baskets are the best, light weight but strong and can be easily cleaned and stored. We have 2 sets - that way we can put one set in front of th eother if we need to drive any distance on soft ground. If you go round to a local bakery, you will probably be able to 'cadge' a couple of damaged trays that you can cut down.

We have a twin RWD Transit and my hubby is dying to try to get stuck somewhere to see how well it gets him out!!! One day he may get his wish ..... 8-)

Mrs Ned has had an idea. They don't come often but when they do, by eck

As we have old rolls of carpet in the garage, can we cut two long "runners" say 12 inches wide and 6 feet long and create a "red carpet" of rescue?

What do you think, it's cheap, will offer some grip and can be discarded when used.

Axminster Ned :-|

Hi,

Mel B they work great, we where on a rally recently, the field was really boggy, all the other vans parked in neat rows ready to be towed off but had no view and I do like a view when having breakie.

We parked right past all of them facing downwards near the top of a rise. Sunday and the farmer was out, towing one after the other, they all had faith in ours though saying we would have no trouble and they were right,not a wheel spin in site we just soared off.

We used bread trays all weekend under both sets of wheels and the door mat, held us up nicely and gave us a good start to go, the knack is apparently to get someone else to pick the mats up and you just keep going till you reach solid ground, don't roll off them stop and pick them up while sinking .

Mandy

The Goclaws arrived less than 24 hours after I ordered them from Van Comfort. I've done the trial fitting, cutting to size adjustment and test run up and down the drive to check for any contact with Renault bits. All OK but access to tyres is tight on my van so took just on 3 hours. Second test fit was much quicker, about 10 minutes per wheel. Light stopped play.

I'll do another test fit and any final adjustment tomorrow and then they will go in the van's garage as an insurance policy. i.e. I have the set but hope not to have to use them for real. If (when) I do I'll post a performance report.

Bob

• 4 weeks later...
Pat - 2008-12-03 9:41 AMI know this will start off a huge debate on the legalities but why not use the the plastic bread basket trays with the side cut of so they are flat under each wheel?Such as one like this!Have to agree that these are a boon we were really badly stuck in snow and mud in Spain last year and someone came along with these cut of crates sorted, we just drove off like magic.. Carol.

Only ever got bogged down in grass once, bought 4 of those heavy duty rubber mats that you have outside your house, perfect for pulling you out of the mire, as you reverse on your pitch have a mat under your front wheels (front wheel drive) drive off first mat onto second mat etc etc till you are on firm ground, failing that only go on sites with hard standing.

Saw one coach built get its front valence ripped off by a camp site Kubota.

The only time I really got bogged down on a grass site was a CS that said in the book that it had hard stand but didn't! The weather was appalling and everyone was having problems. I do have some plastic mats but to be honest they're not up to the job and have lost great chunks now! I don't think my Pilote Galaxy A-class is any heavier than the average but I do find it's not that great on traction.

Stick with the bread trays, I have used them on sandy pitches as well as on wet grass and they have always worked well, even when parked on a hard standing I usually have the awning on the grass, I lay them down inside the awning so that I can stand on them while removing muddy walking boots (without getting my socks wet) before entering the van, also useful if grass has just been mowed, saves you walking all the grass cuttings into the van I even use them when eating outdoors, if the ground is a bit soft I put them underneath our chairs to stop them sinking into the ground when we sit down.

regards

Phil

Mel B - 2008-12-29 6:37 PM

Wouldn't you think that someone would have cottoned on to the idea of cut down bread trays and made some properly manufacturered 'genuine' motorhome grip mats just like them ... they'd make a fortune!!!!

Why (lol) ? They are keeping up the supply for bakers because the bread trays keep getting lost when a motorhome appears !!

Rgds

Archived