Winter route to Portugal

trigrem

We are traveling for the first time to Albufeira 22nd January.

Proposed route is San Sebastian,Vitoria, Burgos, Salamanca, Merida,Sevilla, then turn right for Portugal and Albufeira.

Have any of you experienced winter snowbirds ever had to use snowchains on any of the route.

Any comments appreciated.

Doug

hi doug

never had any snow chains. have found the snow twice in spain en route to portugal.

in 2003 on the way down we were travelling in a convoy of 3 vehicles. decided the snow was getting too bad between Valladolid & Salamanca. Pulled off at the Salamanca exit & came to an Industrial Estate in a couple of hundred yards. Spent the night there and found a bar open at 0600. Took the dog for a walk & found the local roads hadn't been cleared but the main road we came off the day before had been done.

When we got going we saw several vehicles, that had overtaken us the day before, off the road in ditches or upside down. After a couple of hours we descended and the roads were clear. Half an hour later we were shopping in shirtsleeves.

Coming back in 2006 i saw snow was on it's way so left an aire in spain about 0500 to try to beat it but failed. Sat on a motorway near Burgos without moving for an hour. The descent down to San Sebastian was very hairy at the top because of black ice. In company with 3 lorries i tiptoed down until we got low enough for the ice to have melted. That's when you realise how tensed up you have been.

The Spanish seem to be very good at clearing the main roads but i wouldn't want to be on a minor road when the snow falls.

Guest Tracker

Looking at the route from Le Havre to Bordeaux it all seems fairly straightforward avoiding the toll roads but there does seem to be a choice of several routes and not withstanding all that has been said before I wonder if anyone has tried them all and has any thoughts on the easiest both to drive and to follow please?

The more Easterly route using N roads via Evreux, Chartres, Orleans, Chateauroux, Limoges and Perigueux seems to have more dual carriageway but is longer in distance.

The more Westerly route via Alencon, Le Mans, Tours, Poitiers and Angouleme seems to have more towns but is shorter.

The opportunity to cross from the Easterly route at Orleans to the Westerly route at Tours is also an option?

As we want to get to Alcossebre on the Spanish Med to drop down the N232 from Zaragoza to Vinaros/Benicarlo looks viable but is it OK in winter does anyone know please?

Many thanks.

We are traveling for the first time to Albufeira 22nd January.

Proposed route is San Sebastian,Vitoria, Burgos, Salamanca, Merida,Sevilla, then turn right for Portugal and Albufeira.

Have any of you experienced winter snowbirds ever had to use snowchains on any of the route.

Any comments appreciated.

Doug

Hi,

Just come down that route and it was 14c in Salamnca. 9 days ago it was

-9c . It is pot luck if you hit snow or not. in 6 years we have never had any but thats not to say we won,t

We are now in Conil de la frontera and it has been rainng for 3 days

Richard

Richard

Tracker - 2009-01-03 2:22 PM

As we want to get to Alcossebre on the Spanish Med to drop down the N232 from Zaragoza to Vinaros/Benicarlo looks viable but is it OK in winter does anyone know please?

Many thanks.

Hi Tracker,

I have used the Vinaros to Biarritz route via the N232 several times in the winter and just managed to complete it in daylight without using excessive speed. The road is mostly very good with several recent improvements.

However, you do need to be aware of a short section in the area of Morella which is twisty and does get some snow and ice occasionally when it is raining at the Med coast. A close eye needs to be kept on the forecast before going via Morella which is very beautiful but is not a route to be traversed in snow. Having said that the authorities seem to be on the ball with ploughing and salting.

I would also advise crossing the Pyrenean section in daylight as temperatures can fall rapidly at dusk leading to rapid icing of the days melt water on the road surface. If travelling home via this route, allow a little extra time for the often vicious westerly wind which can hamper your progress a little.

Regards, Nobby

trigrem - 2009-01-06 9:50 PM

Hi

Thanks to smifee & W1ntersun for helpful comments.

Guess its fingers crossed & check weather forecasts.

Doug

Pointed thanks noted! - I was conscious in replying to a query regarding a route to Alcossebre, my reply was somewhat off topic and this might have miffed you a little.

However, in going to Portugal, you will be crossing the Pyrenees, albeit at one corner and I hope that this aspect of my reply is not overlooked, coming as it did at the end.

I travel to Portugal via this route almost every winter and would repeat that generally speaking, a most important factor in crossing the Pyrenees is to do so in daylight when temperatures are usually significantly higher.

I hope that in taking the time to reply again, this information is indeed helpful, not just to yourself but for others reading the thread.

Regards,

Nobby

Guest Tracker

Thanks Nobby.

It is indeed a good point that you make about travelling in daylight and although this is our intention to only do just that we will make sure that we are parked up before nightfall.

Archived