Euro/Pound

mirage

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
dwaviation - 2009-01-05 11:06 PM

I read today that the exchange rate means that our contributions to the EUSSR have increased by some £4.5 billion this year - Two aircraft carriers should just about cover it...

Ta for the offer of "goods to the value", but we don't want any aircarft carriers, we'll just stick with having the cash from you guys 'n gals each month.

Thanks muchly :-D

(Course it you'd joined the euro, this exchange rate milarky wouldn't now be an issue...........................................bummer eh?)

Hi,

I would get in quick as the BOE MPC meet either tomorrow or the next day and its anyones guess what they will do with the bank rate, but if what i have read is anything to go by and they lower it again then i think 1.08/9 will look quiet good in a few days, just my opionion.

If my guess is correct and you change now and the pound falls to 1 to 1 then you could effectively have got 8/9% interest as a bonus, you have to try and look on the bright side

Patricia - 2009-01-06 10:22 AM

Looking brighter - rate up to €1.082/£.

niton - 2009-01-05 9:16 AM

The killing of the teenager in Greece and the general unrest can be traced back to Greece joining the single currency.

Peter.

What on earth have you been smoking Peter?

'Cos I want some. It's clearly strong stuff.

Patricia - 2009-01-05 9:47 PM Pat - what an extortionate amount £50! I object to paying £20 every time I send money over to France now as it used to be £5 when I first opened the French account. Bruce - my French banking is free except for the charge for the debit card each year. Otherwise no charges (except for the €2,67 each transfer payment from the UK) and actually get a bonus each time I use my card. However, a few weeks ago I noticed a charge of about €6 when I had inadvertently gone in the red for a couple of weeks. I have seen one company where you can fix the value of the euro for future transfers and they seem to forecast a slight rise in the value of the pound (or fall in value of the euro) in the Spring. Geoff - thanks for the tip about the free transfers as I think I will have to make one again soon. It is the UK bank charges though that get me.

If you have a CA Britline account, see if you can get into the head office in Caen.  You'll need to make an appointment, but they told us a couple of years back that the cheapest way to transfer funds in was simply to present a UK Sterling cheque.  They claimed at the time that they did not make a clearing charge, and would only make a nominal admin charge.  We closed our account before I had a chance to try this, so it is untested!

Brian thanks for your suggestion but I bank with CA Centre France which operates separately. I tried accessing Britline today with my bank a/c number etc. but it would not let me in. At the moment they have a special foreign exchange offer on so I have emailed my own bank to see whether it is available to me and I am awaiting their answer. Also I think Britline now charge for cheques.

Hi all, I'm a bit new to posting but I thought it was worth pointing people in the direction of www.moneysavingexpert.com. Martin Lewis' site is very useful regarding all aspects of money. Thanks to his website we opened a current account with Nationwide solely for the purpose of using when we're abroad. The website won't help the current state of the euro/pound but it gave me loads of ways to save money so I can use it travelling in the motorhome. :-D

I have 3 current accounts, I was not aware that there was a restriction on how many one could have. I have heard that quite a few people open the Nationwide account just to use when abroad because there are no charges. You just need to deposit sufficient funds to cover while you are away. If you run out then there is the credit card to fall back on.

Phil.

Archived