This happend to anyone else?

breakaleg

primed the truma water heater on wednesday for a few days break, once i was sure water was in the heater, turned it on and there was like a woohshing sound, followed by a red light.

Thought this was a lack of gas as i had just refilled the gaslows earlier in the day

Tried a couple of time to light it, no joy, poped out side (just to check that i had turned the gas on and removed the cover) and the plastic gaurd was cooked to perfection, just like melted cheese.

took the van to auto sleeper, they took a look but couldn,t find a problem, only a couple of leaves inside.

any ideas?

only i'm reluctant to relight it.

Pete

Guest Tracker

On the assumption that Auto Sleeper would have lit it to test it it ought to be OK.

If you leave the cover on it usually will just light up and go out again and just will not run until you take the cover off.

However if an excess of gas from failed start ups lays in the burner it can ignite with a whoosh or even a bang and has been known to blow the cover halfway across the field!

I would expect it to be safe now but if it does not light first or second time leave it half an hour for the gas to clear away before trying again.

Hi Tracker, for once i had remembered to remove the cover :-D

Auto sleeper ran all the hot water out of the truma on two occasions and heated it up again, and all was fine, they say that they had never seen this happen before. (its nice being first at something) just wondered if it had happend to anyone else.

Pete

michele - 2009-01-17 12:40 AM

I have noticed on quite a few threads in the past the mention of a cover .

Whats is this cover you are all talking about .

It's the flue cover for the flue grill Michele. See photos Here.

The cover is put on when the heater is not in use in order to stop muck getting into it. It has to be removed before the heater can be used.

Graham

Just to add to Graham's posting...

The flue cover being discussed here (and, presumably, in the past) relates specifically to Truma's Ultrastore B10/B14 water boiler.

The protective cover (called a "cowl cap" in Truma's Operating Instructions) clips to the boiler's air-inlet/gas-exhaust cowl that protrudes through the leisure-vehicle's bodywork.

Cowl caps/flue covers are also available for some other Truma heaters, but not, it seems, for the older C-Series and current "Combi" combination air/water heating appliances fitted to many motorhomes.

We had one of these covers on our previous van, a 1998 Rapido, I had to put a sticker onto the control to remind us to take the cover off before trying to light it, at the beginning we couldn't understand why it would not light. On this van (2002 Laika) it is obviously a different Truma as there is no loose cover.

Archived