Sleep-C-Cure ...oh I wish !

Ned Swift

Howdedoodly fellow homers

I am trying to track down Sleep-C-Cure, they produce a manual/door locking device to fit to an older fiat cab door preventing someone simply smashing the window and raising the plastic door lock sticking up thing.

They are mentioned in the Vicarious Book on Motorhoming in Europe but despite ringing 01580 895358 I have got nowhere.

Can anyone help???? :-D

Sleeping Soundly Ned

Ned:

It looks like Safe-C-Cure is no longer trading - their website is inaccessible and the phone number you've being trying appears to be the only one available.

Not sure whether the Heosafe locks mentioned by JudgeMental will fit your motorhome - it depends on how old your "old Fiat" is. The following link suggests that the Heosafe product is not designed for pre-1994 Ducatos.

http://www.outdoorbits.com/heosafe-door-locks-p-82.html

An alternative might be to fit Fiamma's universal "Safe Door Guardian" locks.

Ned Swift - 2009-01-12 5:46 PM

Howdedoodly fellow homers

I am trying to track down Sleep-C-Cure, they produce a manual/door locking device to fit to an older fiat cab door preventing someone simply smashing the window and raising the plastic door lock sticking up thing.

They are mentioned in the Vicarious Book on Motorhoming in Europe but despite ringing 01580 895358 I have got nowhere.

Can anyone help???? :-D

Can't help with C-Cure, I fitted these standard domestic window/door locks from Screwfix, they have a seperate lockable 'cap' that stops the lock being turned if the window is smashed, but can be used as a simple 'turnbuckle lock' as extra security if you are asleep inside the van.

https://www.screwfix.com/prods/47802/Ironmongery/Window-Fittings/Window-Security/Frame-Guard-White

They work for us anyhow, and are not 'Motorhome' expensive.

I should add, that I fitted them 'out of sight' down about 6-8" in line with my Peugeots arm rest/door pull, will fit any year of van, various spacers supplied.

Thanks for the ideas so far, I wonder about this

http://www.agentfiamma.co.uk/erol.html#6734X0

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FIAMMA SAFE PACK

OUR PRICE INC VAT

£19.56

Innovative anti-theft device kit aimed at preventing unauthorised access to the vehicle cab. Kit contains a sturdy strap to tie the front doors together, two securing handles, two door button blocks a "How to protect your motorhome" brochure and six warning stickers. The Safe Pack is recommended for Fiat Ducato, Citroen Jumper, Peugeot Boxer and Mercedes Sprinter from 1994 to 2002.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quite a cheap option and I guess it would be hard to open a cab with the door handles strapped together??

Super Ned

:-) :-) :-) :-) :-)

Ned Swift - 2009-01-14 5:07 PM

Thanks for the ideas so far, I wonder about this

http://www.agentfiamma.co.uk/erol.html#6734X0

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FIAMMA SAFE PACK

OUR PRICE INC VAT

£19.56

Innovative anti-theft device kit aimed at preventing unauthorised access to the vehicle cab. Kit contains a sturdy strap to tie the front doors together, two securing handles, two door button blocks a "How to protect your motorhome" brochure and six warning stickers. The Safe Pack is recommended for Fiat Ducato, Citroen Jumper, Peugeot Boxer and Mercedes Sprinter from 1994 to 2002.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quite a cheap option and I guess it would be hard to open a cab with the door handles strapped together??

Super Ned

:-) :-) :-) :-) :-)

Not if you bust the window and cut the strap with a knife.

D.

Oh Dave that is so negative. I mean, really do you think they would commit knife crime???? :D :D

How about this then??

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FIAMMA DUO-SAFE

OUR PRICE INC VAT

£28.37

Strong security bar that blocks the front doors from the inside. Quick and easy to use, universal fitting thanks to telescopic frame and hooks provided. Suitable for Ducato, Jumper, Boxer and Renault Master up to 06/2006 and Mercedes Sprinter from 06/2006. Anti-theft warning label visible from outside to prevent thefts. Closed Dimensions: 123.5x18.5x5 cm.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Assuming they don't have an angle grinder, but then they could just chop the doors off.

And who are THEY anyway, the great FEAR of crime - is that who?? >:-)

Rufty Tufty Ned 8o| 8o|

Fiamma's photos suggest that Duo-Safe will not provide door-opening protection if a cab window is broken.

The only sure way of preventing the cab doors being opened if that breaking-and-entering technique is employed is either to use locking versions of products like the HEOsafe locks or to fit supplementary dead-bolts within the cab doors themselves. Even adding hefty attachment-points to the doors and stretching a chain between them won't necessarily stop a well-muscled thief with bolt-cutters who is prepared to smash window-glass.

However, being realistic, it's probably better to use something like Safe Pack, Duo-Safe or a strong chain that is very visible, rather than dead-locks that may provide superior protection but are less conspicuous. If it's obvious that it's going to be tricky to get in and that breaking a window will be necessary, thieves may be encouraged to transfer their attentions to an easier victim. (Or that's the theory!)

Hello Ned,

I assume from your posting that you are referrring to security while sleeping in the van.

The opportunist thief that will attempt to steal from an occupied vehicle will want quick, quiet and easy access so any form of obvious security will normally dissuade them in favour of more easy pickings elsewhere so straps, chains or obvious locks will have an effect.

If they are determined to get valuables and passports etc., they could be mob handed, maybe armed in some way and it is unlikely that door straps will stop them, as Dave Newell suggests. They could just as easily force out a side window and they have even been known to get through Heki roof vents.

Get a dog? Perhaps a bit OTT and any police officer will tell you that determined thieves have ways of neutralising a dog but not the noise they make and few thieves will want to tackle a dog anyway.

We have fitted door deadbolts and have an alarm that can be used with the van in use or unoccupied. A pal of mine simply uses a chain between the doors and has several warning stickers with "WARNING. THIS VEHICLE HAS SECURITY ALARMS, DEAD BOLTS ON ALL DOORS AND FORENSIC CODE MARKING OF ALL ITEMS" and he uses a couple of cheap Homebase shed alarms when unoccupied. His theory is simple Why spend large sums of money on security for an insured vehicle. Cannot say I totally agree but he does have a point.

The best security is not to park up in vulnerable areas in the first place.

Regards,

Mike ;-)

Mike Chapman - 2009-01-15 12:57 PM

Hello Ned,

I assume from your posting that you are referrring to security while sleeping in the van.

The opportunist thief that will attempt to steal from an occupied vehicle will want quick, quiet and easy access so any form of obvious security will normally dissuade them in favour of more easy pickings elsewhere so straps, chains or obvious locks will have an effect.

Get a dog? Perhaps a bit OTT and any police officer will tell you that determined thieves have ways of neutralising a dog but not the noise they make and few thieves will want to tackle a dog anyway.

Mike ;-)

The brother of this dog certainly saved my daughter's m/home - the would-be thieves disappeared in a flash. Certainly not a vicious breed but they can be very noisy! The only evidence left was the tool marks on the cab door by which they had managed to open the central locking.

I do actually also have an alarm which can be left on when the m/home is occupied, C-cure locks on the cab doors, a strap which I can fit between the doors (not that secure as Dave says - although the French police advocate them ), chain on door, gas alarm .... ad infinitum but always try to find as safe a place as possible anyway, preferrably a campsite!

Guest Tracker
Rayjsj - 2009-01-14 3:15 PM

I fitted these standard domestic window/door locks from Screwfix, they have a seperate lockable 'cap' that stops the lock being turned if the window is smashed, but can be used as a simple 'turnbuckle lock' as extra security if you are asleep inside the van.

https://www.screwfix.com/prods/47802/Ironmongery/Window-Fittings/Window-Security/Frame-Guard-White

I've used these for some while on several vans as they are cost effective and very obvious when fitted.

I fit them to the door panel so that they turn and prevent the rising lock bar from rising which is all you need to do to prevent the casual breaker in from unlocking and opening a front door. Being visible I hope that they will also deter the window breakers and quarter light removers from having a go.

On the habitation door I use a simple domestic slot in door chain fixed high on the inside of the door and a Fiamma magnum safe door on the outside for when we are away from the van.

The chain is not secure against a determined thief but it would delay and make a lot of noise to defeat it.

All the windows have individual magnetic activated alarms fitted so the opening of one would sound off a noise.

In addition a usual motor home perimeter alarm is activated at night.

Without being paranoid or spending a fortune I don't think that there is a lot more I could do - but I am always ready to learn!

Patricia - 2009-01-15 2:39 PM

The brother of this dog certainly saved my daughter's m/home - the would-be thieves disappeared in a flash. Certainly not a vicious breed but they can be very noisy! The only evidence left was the tool marks on the cab door by which they had managed to open the central locking.

!

Hello Patricia,

This confirms the point of my posting regarding dogs. What concerns me is that many people think that a dog, especially a large vicious one, is all the security that is needed and therefore do not have any other security.

Fine for the criminal that is frightened of dogs but I have been told by a police dog handler and ex Royal Marine of several ways in which any dog can be neutralised or even killed and one of these is without any form of weapon or spray. His advice is to remember that humans are far more intelligent than any dog and if the criminals needs must will find a way to bypass a dog.

Sorry that is a bit off subject.

Regards,

Mike.

Thanks all.

Yes we have a dog so that's quite good and a kitchen drawer full of sharp knives !! :-D

I'm also 20 stone and 6 foot 4 and have a very bad attitude being a regular bar brawler so I think we may opt for the safe T pack and being a deterrent for the casual thief. We are insured after all.

Thanks for all you comments though, great support

Lethal Ned :D

Archived