Insurance

degsy

Every year, usually about now, we start planning our spring/summer holiday trip to the continent. And every year I go through the same procedure of looking for personal/medical insurance for myself and my wife. This requires a search of a number of web sites to look at the terms and conditions, offers etc. followed by a series of phone calls. Necessary, because we both carry pre-existing health problems and it can't be done via the web-sites. Although these health problems are in the past and we are both reasonably fit we nevertheless have to go through the details with each insurance company (which is fair enough) - but takes ages. We end up with a multitude of quotes with differing conditions attached which needs a Philadelphia lawyer to work out the best option. In the end I plump for one, based not so much on a studied in-depth analysis of the data I've gathered but more a gut feeling - because by then I'm fed up with the whole protracted process.

So before I embark on this year's task does anybody have suggestions as to how it could be made easier, less time consuming and perhaps even ever so slightly pleasant?

Hi, I know how you feel as my wife and I both have medical conditions.Last year we got the best quote from Unique, all done on line.To get a quote you need to go to http://www.lunguk.org/supporting-you/breathe-easy/ where you will see a link ' Help with insurance' this takes you to a link for Unique. You get a discount for going via the Breatheasy site which is part of The British Lung Foundation.

Hi degsy- If you have not done so already give the MCIA "liesure life" a ring, their 12 month family medical insurance cover (£80) requires very little medical screening, and can be set up by answering 2-3 simple questions over the phone, mainly being that you and party have not had to attend hospital in the last 12 months, they are not interested in any medication any one is on, it makes getting cover really simple and at a great price with generous medical cover costs. No, I have no connection with them , only as a client. (lol)

Lloyds/TSB bank offer free (well inclusive) world wide cover + AA and other bits if you have a Silver/Gold/Platinum current account with them. There are lots of pre-existing conditions e.g Blood pressure (Hypertension), asthma, acid reflux plus another 20/30 conditions that are included and not now notifiable. Probably worth a visit to your local branch or a phone call. Cover lasts until 80 yrs old and continues as long as the account remains open. Good hunting.

mike 202 - 2009-02-23 8:55 AM

Lloyds/TSB bank offer free (well inclusive) world wide cover + AA and other bits if you have a Silver/Gold/Platinum current account with them. There are lots of pre-existing conditions e.g Blood pressure (Hypertension), asthma, acid reflux plus another 20/30 conditions that are included and not now notifiable. Probably worth a visit to your local branch or a phone call. Cover lasts until 80 yrs old and continues as long as the account remains open. Good hunting.

I use this one which is good (claimed once and no problems at all although they have changed underwriters now) and upgrades are available. They appear to charge the same amount for two people as they do for one so good value perhaps for couples. You can upgrade if necessary while you are actually abroad (e.g. you want to extend length of cover) which many insurance companies won't do. For example, if you are insured for 45 (?) days and want to change to 93 then the 93 will commence on the date that you arrange that cover so gives quite a long stay away. Not sure that I have explained that clearly enough - time for a coffee!!

Archived