What the Papers Say

howie

Recent proceedings from Tameside Magistrates Court.

Philip John May. Possession of heroin and crack cocaine.

Sentence. £60 fine.

Steven Edward Inglis. Assaulting and beating a woman.

Sentence. £65 fine and £50 compensation.

Philip Brown. Dropping a cigarrete butt.

Sentence. £175 fine with £155 costs.

Its true then. The lunatics really have taken over the asylum. :-S

.......and do you ever watch any of the TV programmes about police chases ?

Three or four police cars chase some dangerous clown in a car, joined by a police helicopter.

After an hour or so all the culprits are caught.

Then nine times out of ten they get off with a caution, or charges are dropped, or they get a jail sentence of 3 months and are let out straight away !

What a waste of resources.

Must be extremely frustrating for the police.

:-(

malc d - 2009-02-27 1:41 PM .......and do you ever watch any of the TV programmes about police chases ? Three or four police cars chase some dangerous clown in a car, joined by a police helicopter. After an hour or so all the culprits are caught. Then nine times out of ten they get off with a caution, or charges are dropped, or they get a jail sentence of 3 months and are let out straight away ! What a waste of resources. Must be extremely frustrating for the police. :-(

I guess the reason that most get let off with a caution or a £60 fine is because all the jails are full..... 

ohgrandma - 2009-02-27 4:28 PM

I really cant agree with the Police Chases, innocent people's lives are put at risk and some are fatally injured, For what, A small fine, or caution and as has been mentioned get away with it. also, the cost to the taxpayer must be enormous, Ria.

Ok then, so what is the alternative please

Well I really must agree with the delightful Ria on this one Sid. How can you justify putting innocent lives at risk, and for what, to apprehend what usually turns out to be a couple of joyriders, and unless we are talking serious crime then lets keep 'hot pursuit' where it belongs, 'Smokey and the Bandit'.

I,m also in agreement with Malc D, where the millions spent on helicopter pursuits would be far better spent by employing more Coppers on the beat with prevention of crime being a far better option than solving it.

howie - 2009-02-27 6:35 PM

Well I really must agree with the delightful Ria on this one Sid.

How can you justify putting innocent lives at risk, and for what, to apprehend what usually turns out to be a couple of joyriders, and unless we are talking serious crime then lets keep 'hot pursuit' where it belongs, 'Smokey and the Bandit'.

I,m also in agreement with Malc D, where the millions spent on helicopter pursuits would be far better spent by employing more Coppers on the beat with prevention of crime being a far better option than solving it.

Well as it happens I agree with the delightful Ria too and here is my slant on chasing joy riders.

PC Plod and his mate have spent three houirs of their shift sitting bored S**TLESS in their high powered car in a layby watching for untaxed cars flying past in the dark, their both cold and bored not just cold.

Crackle crackle "Two youths in a stolen car heading your way" Oh great joy here comes some excitement at last, and so the chase is on.

Beats being cold and bored doesn't it.

I rest my case

Many years ago I was the "target" for bored policemen on motorcycles in France when towing a caravan. This was in the era of the mini-skirt when I was probably one of the first women "tuggers". Having reached an intersection (I was on the main road and coming from the right - these were the rules of the road in those days) I was stopped by these men and made to get out of the car. After being shown the explanation of what my "offence" had been, showing my driving licence (for the only time in my life!) and being very careful not to argue or to speak French at all, I was allowed on my way. Already rather shaken I continued the journey only to have these two motorcyclists roar round in front of me again after about ten miles. They sat there for a couple of miles then roared off again only to hide again. This was repeated three times by which time my legs were shaking and I was having to hold down my right knee to drive at all. I wanted to pull over but my husband wisely said that was what they wanted so keep driving. After the third appearance they waved heartily to thank me for the distraction! I'm still not sure what attracted them to me - was it a woman driving a caravan (unheard of in France at that time), the GB plates (not many of them seen at that time either) or the mini-skirt???

Definately the mini skirt Patricia, and while you were obviously upset at the time you should take it has a compliment that they paid you so much attention. Keeping quiet and not understanding what they were saying was absolutely right. Dumb insolence has been my salavation on many an occasion and should always be the preferred course of action whenever trouble threatens.

Calm down Joy. I,m sure your old friend Sylvia was not alluding to you when she mentioned 'joyriding', but it does bring some wonderfull images to mind. *-)

Right, back to the courts. Easy enough to criticise the police, but it must be soul destroying when after putting in so much time and effort to get a prosecution to court they then see the defendent walk of smirking with, in most cases, nothing more than a slap on the wrist and a telling off. Must wonder why they bothered in the first place.

Not sure why magistrates and JPs are so lenient, maybe they are out of touch or themselves have to follow guidelines from above, but if the problem is a lack of prison places then I for one would cheerfully pay that little bit extra to see our criminal element never lacking for suitable accommodation.

Thanks for the compliment Howie. However, I certainly understood what they were saying, although they were incorrect about the culpability as I was not in the wrong (on that occasion anyway!), but I was advised many years ago not to admit to knowing the language in contretemps with foreign police. However, on one occasion chatting to them saved me a fine for not having my driving licence with me so it is not always better to act dumb.

Back to the thread: I agree with what you say about the police being frustrated and the bench being too lenient although the cynic in me wonders sometimes about the old saying "It takes one to know one". I don't think all JPs are that blameless themselves so perhaps they are more sympathetic than we are or feel that they won't be affected by their misdeeds or, as you say, just out of touch.

Archived