Fiat/Peugeot/Citroen transmission defect

AndyStothert

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Itexuk - 2009-03-17 9:07 AM

The flashing mileometer that results in unplugging and reconnecting the various body computers is a pain.

How do you stop it flashing? What do you have to un plug ?

Mine has done it from day one.

It usually means you have a proxi alignment error with the on board computer systems. Take it into a dealer and they can realign the systems communications, only takes 10 mins to do once they get round to it.

If you have a letter showing as well, like an H, it means it was never reset in PDI to zero to cancel delivery mileage.

Water in the headlamps may be part "scuttlegate"I don't think any FIAT fix seals the area between the headlamp and the removeable side plate I sealed mine with silicon when I fixed my leak and never had a problem and yes we do get plenty of rain in Spain.

The flashing mileometer that results in unplugging and reconnecting the various body computers is a pain.

On the x250 the flashing mileage indicates that one of the body computers has failed to report-in at the required interval to indicate that it is functioning correctly. It does not necessarily mean that there is anything to be concerned with and that is why there are no other warning lights on, nor any warning scripts in the central display. We have found that if you lift the cover in the front of the passenger footwell and with the ignition off, disconnect and reconnect the cables that all have junctions there, when you start the vehicle again the problem will have gone. If there were an issue with anything to do with the running of the engine or a safety related problem this would be indicated by a malfunction message or engine management light.

Unless of course you have a fault with your EGR valve, and then the vehicle will misfire, not want to rev and smoke a lot. While at no time will the engine management light come on! The AA will come out, (if they know what they are doing) they will remove a pipe from the EGR solenoid and put it back after a while and everything will be ok for the rest of that day. Then you take it to the dealer as recommended and they will find nothing wrong with it and charge you for their time!

I am not bitter.

Nick

Hi,

I agree with colin frier, the condensation in the headlamps is probably caused or made worse by the water ingress from the windscreen scuttle .I posted my concerns and fix about this last year, as I had the same problem. Even with the modifications that Fiat have carried out it does not stop water running over the rear of the headlamps, the hole that has now been made larger at each end of the scuttle which allows water to drain over the back of the headlamps and the various electrical components in this area, as well as around the headlamps and bonnet. there is also a large amount of water entering the engine bay and over the headlamps from the channel either side of the windscreen where it is bonded onto the body. By sealing around these areas and fitting 4 extra drains and piping the water away from the engine bay to the ground below has in my case given me a 100% dry engine bay and no more condensation in the headlamps.The modifications that I have carried out does not require engine covers or the other bits that Fiat have fitted to mask the problem, and is far more cost effective than producing and fitting thier bits. I did inform Fiat of what I thought was a very economical and effective cure to the problem but they never showed any interest,

I am however glad to hear that the gearbox problem may be solved soon.

Regards Geoff

Geof,

I have checked my lights, absolutely no signs of misting up, too date I have not needed to drive my van with the lights on, however, my van came with the scuttle conversion from new, the engine compartment is bone dry.

Melvin, when you say bone dry do you not have water entering the engine compartment via the drains adjacent to the wiper arms. The nearside drains water over various electrics as stated by another post, the offside drain does not appear to be too much of a threat???

Here is an update on my posting of 3rd March (page 1 of this thread) to various motorhome manufacturers regarding their comments on the problems.

I have not had any replies (apart from an aknowledgement from Auto-Trail saying they would reply within 3 working days, but they have not done so).

Here is my original enquiry below to ..............................

Autosleeper ... IH ... Swift ... Autocruise ... Auto Trail

Dear Sir

I would like to hear your comments on the problems experienced by many owners of X250 based motorhomes in respect of both reversing up a steep hill and water ingress to the engine compartment.

As an example, take a look at the MMM Forum at: http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=14995&posts=28

Obviously, the makers of our motorhomes using the X250 are in a very difficult position at this time, but I would be more impressed with them if they got together and issued a common statement.

I entirely agree.My AT was bought new in June and the clutch 'cooked' after 200 miles reversing onto a campsite pitch.

If convertors have been 'persuaded' to use the Sevel chassis,it would seem like a good deal to them. But I think it should not have been released without a thorough testing. It is a chassis 'specialy built and designed' for motorhomes,the testing should have include positioning test loads and the various locations on the chassis to emulate a conversion.

Not only the converters but the dealers should also be expressing their concern.

The other day news broke that the pension fund I am in is sueing RBS and Sir Fred. This is because they were invited to invest and were told 'everything is fine' when in reality the bank was on the verge of in solvency.

Now consider this senario;we have a new chassis specially built for motorhome conversions,does it work under load conditions?.....er yes!

Same thing as I see it.

I posted a week ago to say I had just got my van back (2.3 engine) after the engine mountings were changed and that it had made no difference. Since then I have had several phone calls with FIAT and with the garage. Latest is that I received a call from the garage yesterday afternoon to say that they had ordered the clutch modification kit and the lower reverse gear kit. They will make an appointment when the parts are in. Since we are off to France in 2 weeks I suspect the van will not be having the new parts fitted till end of April or even May.

Keep pressing; we are getting there.

Colin

have just got off the phone after speaking to a Ruhela Sawad Customer services Manager at Peugeot Customer Care. I wanted to know if there was any progress on lower reverse gear for the 3ltr 6 speed other than the replacement clutch/flywheel which I have had done but still not entirely happy with. She said,and I quote, as far as she knew Peugeot Technical Dept had said there wasn't an issue with the 3ltr juddering and she had had no other complaints??? which I find extremely hard to believe, unless the other complaints had gone to Darren Moore the other Service Manager. So if there are any other 3ltr Peugeot owners out there with judder could you ring Peugeot Customer Services 0845 2002 500 and ask to speak to Ruhela Sawad Customer Services Manager and let her know I'm not the only one with judder!

Guest Tracker
Brambles - 2009-03-17 9:48 AM

It usually means you have a proxi alignment error with the on board computer systems. Take it into a dealer and they can realign the systems communications, only takes 10 mins to do once they get round to it.

If you have a letter showing as well, like an H, it means it was never reset in PDI to zero to cancel delivery mileage.

Do I understand that to mean that the mileometer can be reset to zero?

That's a bit iffy especially if a new van being sold by one of the large multi branched groups is shuffled around the country from branch to show to branch to show for a few months?

For the dealers I suppose it's better than registering it as a demo van?

How many times can the mileometer be reset I wonder and how long before someone without scrupples finds a way to clock vehicles via this 'ere computerised thingy?

worky - 2009-03-19 4:52 PM

have just got off the phone after speaking to a Ruhela Sawad Customer services Manager at Peugeot Customer Care. I wanted to know if there was any progress on lower reverse gear for the 3ltr 6 speed other than the replacement clutch/flywheel which I have had done but still not entirely happy with. She said,and I quote, as far as she knew Peugeot Technical Dept had said there wasn't an issue with the 3ltr juddering and she had had no other complaints??? which I find extremely hard to believe, unless the other complaints had gone to Darren Moore the other Service Manager. So if there are any other 3ltr Peugeot owners out there with judder could you ring Peugeot Customer Services 0845 2002 500 and ask to speak to Ruhela Sawad Customer Services Manager and let her know I'm not the only one with judder!

I cannot helps as mines only a 2.2 5 Speed and They have told me in writing there is no fix for the 5 speeds.

last year I complained to VOSA this week I found out only 7 other people had complained to VOSA we need to take action were we can.

Hello Tracker,

The 'H' symbol is not nearly as sinister as that. It does enable the dealer to re-set it at pdi but it will only go up to 100 miles before it cannot be zeroed. I can't see the point of it really because I don't think that a vehicle showing up to 100 miles would put anyone off or reduce it's aparrent 'newness' It is what it is though and it cannot be abused or hide a chequered past.

Nick

Guest Tracker

Thanks Nick - but surely the removal of any miles from a vehicle is technically 'clocking' and at the very least a 'new' van that has done 99 miles should not legally be able to be zeroed as it smacks of misrepresentation by the seller?

100 miles is nothing on a used van but on a van that purports to be new it can be quite revealing as to why it has done those miles and whilst it probably would not bother me - partly because I would not buy a new van - but it would upset some folks who like their new van to be very new?

Long live pedantry!

Yeti

The 01/2007 English-language "Fiat Ducato Motorhome" glossy advertising leaflet carries a photo of a test-vehicle emblazoned with the legend "TESTED - New Fiat Ducato - Camper Conversion Prototype". Alongside the picture is the statement "The engine and gearboxes powering the New Ducato Motorhome were tested on cab-over prototypes and adapted for use on a motorhome. The 130 MultiJet has been specially designed for exclusive use on motorhome (sic)."

According to the French magazine "Camping-Car", twenty-six Ducato X/250 prototypes covered more than 340,000km during pre-production testing. Amongst these prototypes, those with 'motorhome bodywork' covered some 100,000km.

spospe - 2009-03-20 9:10 AM

Seriously, with so much testing, how on earth did they miss such an obvious problem?

This is something that has puzzled me too, 100K in a mocked up motorhome, and not one tester raised a concern?

I'd be quizzing the testers if they haven't already. Or are they gagged?

Martyn

You would think that all the stories about Italian tanks during the war. Such as how many gears 1 forward 6 reverse they would be able to produce something that went backwards.

Thats it perhaps the gearbox is the wrong way round!! (lol)

Archived