Fiat/Peugeot/Citroen transmission defect

AndyStothert

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought the post was worded to leave no room for doubt.

The work will have to stop. The new clutch pipe is for LHD vehicles.

Whether Fiat know that we drive on the other side in this country seems to be the only doubt.

Hopefully they will come up with something fairly quickly? Like they always do.

Guest JudgeMental

Are all vans now coming of the production line fitted with the correct reverse gear?

Or are they just fitted if you complain?

Could it be because FIAT being the holding company of Ferrari, are skint from paying Schumacher all that money to win a world championship for them, they can't afford the R&D cash to find a cure for this complaint!!! :$

It's a thought innit

Damn.gif.32c823bc6450390658c155ec50b2037e.gif

McClaren.jpg.0de6181b515c274572eef0ba22337ae4.jpg

I contacted Fiat a couple of months ago and eventually spoke to a guy in FIAT UK. He gave me a case no to say that the fault had been registered with them and confirmrd the same in writing.

Since then I have heard no more and the warranty on my new van runs out in April 2010.

Should I keep contacting them or should I sit back and wait?

The van is a 2.2 on the X250 chassis.

Late last spring we decided to place an order for an update to our 7 year old Murvi "whilst we could still afford it" to be delivered this May for our wedding anniversary and possible retirement. Our current Fiat Murvi has been very reliable and although we knew of the gearbox fiasco on the latest van, as there was a year to go before delivery, we believed it would be long solved by the time of delivery!

How simple we were in our planning and to add to it, we have since both been made redundant/retired early, but what the heck? We still want the van - we may have to full-time!

At the beginning of the year we were asked for the spec for the van. We are not happy and it was agreed to delay until the believed announcement from Fiat before or at the NEC in Feb. Silence!

Again, we were asked for the spec and are told that Fiat have said that all new vans will have a modified box from Jan/Feb 09.

However, this thread suggests that Fiat maybe "a little optimistic". We therefore asked for written confirmation from Fiat as to the chassis number after which all models will be fitted with the revised gearbox. Again, silence!

Where are we? If they are unable to retro-fit existing vehicles, what are they fitting in current vehicles off the production line? We suspect they are not scrapping existing "defective" boxes.

A year or so ago, in this thread, it was suggested to wait two years and only then will there be a proper revised gearbox available.

Which is coming first - a fit for purpose gearbox from Fiat, or the end of the recession?

Hi bobalobs and Geoff,are your vans both 2.2L 5 speeds? mines a 2.2L 5 speed Peugeot and I have a recent letter that says Peugeot do not have a fix for the gearbox and since that letter they no longer reply to my e-mails.

It looks like Fiat have also taken, A vow of silence!

Anyone had any sort of fix for a 5 speed?

Hello, Urbanracer,

Yes our van is a 2.2 with a five speed box.

I suppose, like lots of others, I feel in limbo. idon't know if I should continue to contact Fiat or just wait until they contact me. I am also worried about what happens after the warranty runs out in May 210.

This is our first motorhome, bought after retirement. Before this we had narrowboats for more than15 years but decided we wanted to see different parts of the country and indeed Europe.

We did our first trip to France Spain and Portugal last summer for 13 weeks and it was excellent.

Love the vehicle and love the travelling but I find I am having to continually watch that I am not getting into situations where I might have to reverse out or turn etc. My van even knocks on level ground if I do not slip the clutch.

This forum is the best thing that has happened since buying the van as there is a wealth of experience and some really nice people.

Geoff

>>>>This is our first motorhome, bought after retirement. Before this we had narrowboats for more than15 years but decided we wanted to see different parts of the country and indeed Europe<<<

Looks like we are all in the same boat (lol)

I sold my boat bought a new motorhome missed not having a boat so bought another boat last year.

Well, we've become totally disillusioned by Fiats failure to rectify this defect and communicate effectively and they've now lost a prospective customer.

With no prospect of a resolution and hence no confidence in buying a new Fiat van for conversion, this morning we've ordered a ready finished Renault Master based campervan. With a few mobility modifications it will be ready for collection later next week.

Thanks to this forum and Andy, we've been fortunate to avoid the Fiat debacle, nevertheless I do hope that everyone affected by this will eventually have their vehicles rectified to their satisfaction.

Best Regards

Colin

Colin9591 - 2009-03-25 12:31 PM

Well, we've become totally disillusioned by Fiats failure to rectify this defect and communicate effectively and they've now lost a prospective customer.

With no prospect of a resolution and hence no confidence in buying a new Fiat van for conversion, this morning we've ordered a ready finished Renault Master based campervan. With a few mobility modifications it will be ready for collection later next week.

Thanks to this forum and Andy, we've been fortunate to avoid the Fiat debacle, nevertheless I do hope that everyone affected by this will eventually have their vehicles rectified to their satisfaction.

Best Regards

Colin

I bet both Fiat and Peugeot have lost and will continue to lose sales, 2 months after buying our Peugeot based motorhome,then complete with the engine water feature it was time to buy a new car for my wife.

As we had spent some time going back to the Peugeot dealers my wife wanted a new 308 but because we were getting no help at first from Peugeot on the water feature we bought a Ford Focus.

I would never buy another Peugeot.

Colin9591 - 2009-03-25 1:31 PM we've been fortunate to avoid the Fiat debacle, nevertheless I do hope that everyone affected by this will eventually have their vehicles rectified to their satisfaction.

Same here Colin, I consider I had a bit of luck to find this forum and although I think I should have bought fours ago, at least I can now ignore any Fiat/Peugeot/Citroen base vehicle. I likewise wish everyone a satisfactory resolution to the problems. 

Andy,

I hesitate to speak too soon but it appears I am, at last, making progress to get my Autocruise 2.2 litre 6-speed rectified. I made a call to Peugeot Customer Care today requesting an update. I was asked whether my dealer had contacted me regarding booking my vehicle in. I said that I had heard nothing! Customer Care then contacted my dealer and I am booked in for next wednesday for a PPD. As they requested the vehicle for 2 days I enquired what work would be carried out. I was informed that this visit is solely to enable them to liase effectively with Peugeot's Technical Department regarding what modifications need to be carried out. I suggested that surely all the required information could be gleaned from the VIN, but I was informed that Peugeot insist on the vehicle being at the dealer. Does the ECU perhaps contain some of the build data? Apparently, mine is the 'Ford' engine. The dealerships seem to be kept in the dark as the Service Manager said they have to go through a step-by-step procedure with the Technical Department to ascertain the required fix. According to Peugeot's previous announcements this will be either a revised (lower) reverse gear or a replacement gearbox. One question I would like answered is whether a replacement gearbox has the same final drive ratio as the original gearbox. I will put an update on here next week.

Here is an update on my posting of 3rd March (page 1 of this thread) to various Motorhome manufacturers regarding their comments on the reversing and water leak problems.

I have not had any replies, apart from an acknowledgement from Auto-Trail saying they would reply within 3 working days, (but they have not done so).

Here is my original enquiry below to ..............................

Autosleeper ... IH ... Swift ... Autocruise ... Auto Trail

Dear Sir

I would like to hear your comments on the problems experienced by many owners of X250 based Motorhomes in respect of both reversing up a steep hill and water ingress to the engine compartment.

As an example, take a look at the MMM Forum at: http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=14995&posts=28

...............................................................................................................

Still no reply from anyone and I must conclude that now there will be no reply at all at any time from any of the above manufacturers.

Where does this leave our confidence in Motorhome manufacturers?

When this sad debacle is resolved (and it will eventually get sorted out one way or the other), I feel that great harm has been done to customer confidence.

I hope it goes well Colin I have heard of 6 speeds being repaired/boxes changed.

I would check first are they going to try the ECU software download which even Peugeot say might work on some, which also means it does not work on all.

I wish I had a 6 speed now

:$

Quote URBANRACER.

I bet both Fiat and Peugeot have lost and will continue to lose sales, 2 months after buying our Peugeot based motorhome,then complete with the engine water feature it was time to buy a new car for my wife.

As we had spent some time going back to the Peugeot dealers my wife wanted a new 308 but because we were getting no help at first from Peugeot on the water feature we bought a Ford Focus.

I would never buy another Peugeot.

.......................................................................................................................

Nowt2do with the gearbox problems but to all you potential Fiat car buyers

I received a e-mail from Fiat's to-day. It goes:-

Buy a Grande Punto 3dr or 5dr To-Day and you'll save up to £2000 on current on-the-road price with a 5yr unlimited mileage warranty. ect,ect,ect

Now to get this fantastic offer (don't all rush) e-mail:-

FiatTestDrive@slumhouse.com !!!!! SLUMHOUSE! i thought i would never get of the floor from laughing.

it say's Mark as Safe or Mark as Junk

does that mean the e-mail or the car?

Dave

.......................................................................................................................

with a 5yr unlimited mileage warranty. ect,ect,ect

What does that 'warranty' word mean?

I was at a motor show in the early 1980's taking to a chap who been involved in bringing the Dacia range into the Uk[if I remember a rehashed range of Renault cars,made in Romania]he told me when they asked about warranty conditions the other party did not at first understand.

They told then in Romania if they got a car they were very lucky after that any parts needed, had to be found from crashed or scrapped vehicles and that was upto the owner.

Guest Tracker
bobalobs - 2009-03-24 8:33 PM

Which is coming first - a fit for purpose gearbox from Fiat, or the end of the recession?

Probably the end of the world will arrive before FIAT gets it right!

Can you get your Murvi on another base vehicle?

Fix It Again Tomorrow - remember?

I understand that reverse gear works very well on Italian and French armoured vehicles - so they can do it!

AndyStothert - 2009-03-25 3:54 PM

Mm,

My skills with the computer have (again) let me down. I shall send them onto somone with little more knowledge than I to put them up.

Andy - if you're stuck, send them to me and I'll stick them up for you ... you do know though don't you that they have to be DIGITAL ones! :D

I'll PM you with my email address. :-D

Mel,

I've recently entered the digital era and bought a camera which can't accept film. Unfortunately my amoebic brain hasn't yet caught up, but I've emailed them to another old fart who may or may not be more able than I am. He says he is, but isn't sure.

If he isn't I'll send them to you.

They are photos of all the parts being fitted to our vans in an attempt to rectify the problems and although Fiat won't admit that the reverse gear ratio is the cause it certainly looks from the photos like a gear swap is involved.

Hi Andy,

On another forum one contributor claims that Fiat Professional will not now supply, any version of a 2.3/130 engined Ducato, anywhere in Mainland Europe??. Have your Italian friends mentioned anything of this?. True or false?. May explain the delay in any Ducato's with modified gearboxes coming off the production lines?.

Em, edjitt.

PS. Do you want me to send my 6 year old Grandson over and show you how to post photographs.

Archived